Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

And this meteorologist from "weatherbell" has what experience in maritime operations? What is their degree in, naval architecture, marine engineering, or maritime safety? They can keep their comments to the weather, not about ships.

That would be nice in the real world, but in the Internet world, this is free advertising baby!!!!:rolleyes: The trolls post their garbage and people hit their web page, and then they become famous Baby!!!!:rolleyes:

I am guessing 99% of the people who read their garbage had never heard of them (count me in) before this. Now some percentage, unfortunately, probably approaching 50% give them unconditional credibility. After all they read it on the internet so it must be true, or they wouldn't post it.:rolleyes:

Stupid is as stupid does, quoting Forest Gump.

JC

I'm watching the morning news and they just said the ship is supposed to dock at 9 p.m. Don't know if that is accurate. Just saying what I just heard.....

9PM is what the cruise line has told the passengers to expect.

Agree that the OP must be frustrated, tired and just ready to come home. I can't imagine what that experience was like.

And now for some Wednesday morning quarterbacking...here is a USA TODAY perspective on how RCI handled the situation. The problem with these types of articles, whether accurate or not...is that hindsight is always 20/20. At the end of the day everyone is safe and that is what really matters, right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/02/09/royal-caribbean-anthem-cruise-storm/80051782/

I believe 2 things matter. First is that everyone on the ship is safe. Second, to help prevent future similar situations, everything about this occurrence needs to be understood and the decisions made need to be analyzed to make sure they were made with the right intent and using all of the available information.

I was purely letting people know what we were given.

I'm sure there were many people from the UK aboard and as a lot of tickets are non-changeable, it will cost $$$ for them to get home. It is more than possible that the refund does not cover their additional expenses (it certainly didn't ours). Baring this in mind, it's also quite possible that the 50% wont be used, as passengers may not be able to afford the 50% they have to pay, plus flights, hotels etc. So these people will have used their holiday time and arrived back home having had no break.

We have since sung Celebrity's praises, things happen in all walks of life, it's how they handle it that matters.

Why shouldn't they get a free cruise after what they have been through?

Just my personal opinion

They are getting 150%. A refund on the cruise plus 50% off another cruise. Why couldn't they afford another cruise. If they didn't buy insurance that's there fault. If they have insurance all flight changes will be covered also, plus motels and maybe RCCL will pick up some costs.

Also you are never guaranteed the date and time you will arrive. I'm sure when they told the guests they would arrive wed. RCCL thought this would happen. Something must have changed. Could be weather on route or docking problems. Yes they have been through a lot but there out of the storm and will arrive as quickly as RCCL can get to port. What more do they want.

I am guessing 99% of the people who read their garbage had never heard of them (count me in) before this. Now some percentage, unfortunately, probably approaching 50% give them unconditional credibility. After all they read it on the internet so it must be true, or they wouldn't post it.:rolleyes:

I'm surprised someone has not posted that this incident was caused by climate change.:cool:

That part might be true. However, do you wish to dock and 100% of the people offload their own luggage after someone on board the ship somehow hops off and ties the thing to the dock?

When there are no ships scheduled to dock, the people who pilot the ships into the dock, tie it up, set up the walkways, unload the luggage, inspect the people coming off, arrange transportation from the pier and on and on, are off working elsewhere. It is not always possible to round up a decent sized contingent of works on a moments notice, not to mention union rules, to take care of 5,000 passengers.

Events such as this, do peel back the nasty side of American expectationalism (new word). Relax and enjoy. As long as you are on the ship, eat drink and be merry.

Also it will be getting dark and maybe raining/snow or what ever, give me the option to stay on the ship until morning.

I almost found the initial posting to this thread to be laughable. We live in Fl and the weather changes a lot with fronts passing through. I cannot tell you how many times I have said "I wish I was a weatherman where I could be wrong at my job 50% of the time and still be employed."

Sunday night we were supposed to have gale force winds. That is a term I have not heard much so I looked it up. We brought in our lawn furniture and did not put out our trash the night before. Yes, it was windy, but nothing like we were lead to believer where we live.

There is no way to know exactly where weather is going to be at its worst. I agree this was a monster storm and the ship could not get away from it. But cruise lines sail 52 weeks a year, everyone who cruises knows that. Usually they can get around the storm. This time unfortunately they could not. I am so sorry what the passengers went through and am glad this had a good outcome. But can you imagine the chaos that would occur if every ship did not sail because there might be a storm? We would all be equally outraged if our vacation travels were interrupted that way too. Especially if it turned out to be much ado about nothing.

I cannot believe the hateful, ignorant comments on here. The people calling for this captain's firing are pissing me off. Smh

One would hope that sailing into a predicted weather system with gale force winds would require more than just the captain's go ahead.

LOL I have a bumper to bumper for 4 years unlimited miles and free maintenance for 2. I've had 2 of them and never had a problem other than one issue that was covered under warranty. Then again it's safe to assume you've never owned one or it you did it had more than 100K and 8 years old or older. It's common sense you don't buy an old euro car and you don't direct ships into storms. Win win :) I'm gone since this thread is for those who are on the ship anyway. I've stirred the pot enough.

This post takes the grand prize as an example of how ridiculous the discussion of Anthem has become... on both sides... the critics and the RCI apologists.

I just realized that no one mentioned the thread title is misspelled in the opposite way to the other "d*cking" thread recently. I wonder if that was intentional?:cool:

I was wondering the same thing, and really, really hoping that the topic of this thread would be iphone charging! ;):D

Just sharing what we were given when our cruise was cancelled.

We always take out travel insurance, which would have covered us for a flight back home. However, they would simply have put us on the next available flight home, whereas we made the decision to continue with our honeymoon.

I Just feel that the cruisers here had a much worse experience than we did

To tell them 6:00 a.m. Wed. for docking, give them free wifi to make alternate travel arrangements and then hours later come back and say 9:00 p.m. is not really helpful.

So they should have said nothing at all until things were set in stone? I suspect they are passing on information as it becomes available. Obviously, everything about this cruise is subject to change.

Dont know were to post my question.

Usually, cruise line enters contract with different vendors (SPA, artist, etc). Do RCII have a contract with a weather forecast company? ie a la Intellicast, Skyvector, weatherunderground, etc.

Do RCI even follow what they tell their guest on their website? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2676&faqSubjectId=330

Not blaming anyone, just curious.

So yesterday the captain Told us we would be docking at 6am Wednesday morning. Then today at noon they said they didn't know what time we would be docking and would know for sure at 3pm. At 3pm they said hey will know at 5pm.

Come on rccl find out. People just want to come home.

I don't understand! It took the ship less than a day to reach the location of the storm because he wanted to speed ahead of it....but coming home is taking 3 days!?

Has anyone else noticed that Anthem does not show up on any ship tracking sites? (at least not since yesterday, off of Cape Hatteras) Has their AIS antenna been damaged? Did they turn off their transponder? If they did turn it off or mask it, bad on them. Perhaps someone on board can take a picture of their TV screen and post it. :cool:

I do know that AIS is either Line-of-sight to shore stations, or satellite driven, so I'm wondering if one of their golf ball antennas is down...

Wishing safe passage and prayers for all aboard.