Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Ok this situation did encourage me to take the final plunge on travel insurance. I was waffling on the extra expense as my last purchase was no help when I had to cancel my trip. Luckily I did find a great policy with my bank..sorta third party really. It was an unplanned expense but I figure better safe than sorry. This is in no way a slam on folks that don't get it. I absolutely understand why you sometimes just can't justify the additional expense for a what if scenario. Just that for me I went ahead and dug deep in my pockets( think I pulled out my spleen too) and went for it. I hope I don't have to use it. But at least now I have a little peace of mind. Didn't mean to hijack comments like some...insert name...just thought I would comment on insurance lol. And I'm happy everyone made it back safe and sound and I hope this experience doesn't cause too much emotional and financial hardship to anyone on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

She's a low-life thief (plans to steal a drink package) and complains constantly about her "stinking balcony cabin" being over-priced along with everything else. I feel bad for her, and hope she can get her meds adjusted soon.

This post needs to be removed. I have reported it.

i agree. The cheerleaders and hijackers comments don't bother me as its so obvious how delusional they are.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion its what the world is about. In this care I only listen to the opinions of people onboard. While I am not having a good cruise I am sure there are many that are and maybe even a few who enjoyed the storm. But if your sitting at home in your mom's basement then its probably time to do your chores before bed.

Shaun, it might be best to just give up on this thread and see if you can make the best of the rest of the day. Unfortunately, things on this thread have gotten crazy.:(

I would also say, don't give up on Royal Caribbean and cruising. My first cruise was on Sovereign of the Seas with a noreaster off the coast. Getting to Florida was nuts, plane ahead of us went off runway due to weather and we had to pull up out of our approach and circle forever until they finally let us in. Delayed for 4 hours and finally made it into Florida in the middle of the night. Drive to pier was blinding rain, no sailaway anything due to weather. Had on stop in Nassua that was nice and then rocked and rolled to Coco Cay to not be able to tender and spent the rest of the day and night trying to avoid storm. Shows cancelled, no one really in dinner because too many sick, outside decks closed, walking anywhere was a challenge. We weren't confined to cabins but we ended up there because it wasn't safe to do anything else. I got thrown out of bed in middle of the night. Was a horrible first cruise. I vowed never to cruise again. Two years later, we tried again. We sailed in June instead of January and were treated to seas that were flat calm for seven days, perfect weather and are now hooked to cruising.

I understand your need to get off that ship, I couldn't wait to get back on land. Try to get off the internet and walk the ship, go talk to people, go watch trivia and see how nuts people get. Hang in there!

Don't you have to sale more often to be a loyalist lol...not sure my one completed and one planned constitute LOL[emoji16][emoji23][emoji12]. But I guess someone may have a comment anyway, it's the risk you take when you actually state an opinion. What's the saying...opinions are like aholes everyone has one. Hahaha

Ok this situation did encourage me to take the final plunge on travel insurance. I was waffling on the extra expense as my last purchase was no help when I had to cancel my trip. Luckily I did find a great policy with my bank..sorta third party really. It was an unplanned expense but I figure better safe than sorry. This is in no way a slam on folks that don't get it. I absolutely understand why you sometimes just can't justify the additional expense for a what if scenario. Just that for me I went ahead and dug deep in my pockets( think I pulled out my spleen too) and went for it. I hope I don't have to use it. But at least now I have a little peace of mind. Didn't mean to hijack comments like some...insert name...just thought I would comment on insurance lol. And I'm happy everyone made it back safe and sound and I hope this experience doesn't cause too much emotional and financial hardship to anyone on the ship.

For those in the planning stages:

Remember that trip insurance is also going to reimburse you AFTER you are back home and paperwork is submitted. I point this out because many were saying "What if the passenger can't afford a hotel/meals/whatever because the cruise fare wasn't refunded yet?" Just like the cruise fare refund will take time to process so will your travel insurance. Everyone should make sure they have some sort of emergency funds, even if its a credit card, so that they are able to get a hotel room and have a place to stay before the funds come in.

Yes, it is nice to hear first hand accounts. My friends were on the "Triumph poop cruise" (3 years ago today actually) and they were very positive about their experience when many were not. They were on board with many family members and said the trip made them closer, they have cruised since then.

Thank you for posting this. They seem to be a great couple with great spirits. I would love to be on a cruise with other people such as them.;)

dp

Why is everyone talking about insurance? I thought RCCL refunded the cruise?

Yes, exactly the reason I posted it!:) People will certainly have different experiences and also the way people handle different situations will vary as well. And some, well, they will blow it all out of proportion hoping for a big pay day.:rolleyes:

I'm sure it was a very scary situation...one I wish never to experience. And one that I hope and pray my daughter and her fiance, who are crew members on another cruise line, will never have to experience.

So here is another side of... doesn't look or sound blown out of proportion to me.

http://www.newstza.com/news/world/7967-horrified-passengers-aboard-a-royal-caribbean-cruise-endure-hurricane-force-winds-and-are-forced-to-stay-in-their-room-as-the-ship-nauseatingly%C2%A0rocks-through-giant-swells.html

For those in the planning stages:

Remember that trip insurance is also going to reimburse you AFTER you are back home and paperwork is submitted. I point this out because many were saying "What if the passenger can't afford a hotel/meals/whatever because the cruise fare wasn't refunded yet?" Just like the cruise fare refund will take time to process so will your travel insurance. Everyone should make sure they have some sort of emergency funds, even if its a credit card, so that they are able to get a hotel room and have a place to stay before the funds come in.

Is that why everyone is talking about insurance? Are there people who cruise that couldn't afford or have the credit for a hotel and some food? I find that hard to believe.

Is that why everyone is talking about insurance? Are there people who cruise that couldn't afford or have the credit for a hotel and some food? I find that hard to believe.

Yes everyone started talking about insurance when someone said that the people could either fly home or spend the few days in NY and it got to alot of "What if they can't afford the change fees" "What if they can't afford the hotel" and some that feel that those of us that made the assumption that if you travel you need to have extra funds because many things that go wrong (with someone/some company at fault or not) are insensitive and that we obviously never had to worry about money.

Personally I'm a realist that knows that things are going to go wrong and if the problem is large that in the moment I'm going to have to rely on myself to take care of my family and myself and sort out the details later.

I have an interest in cruising safely with mobility devices, and was just wondering if there were any scooter, wheelchair, or walker users on the stormy cruise on the Anthem. What was your experience and how your were accommodated during the storm?

By way of background, here is a cut-and-paste from my thread on the "disabled cruise travel" board.

As a former professional firefighter, former member of the NFPA committee on life safety, and safety official for a medium-sized federal agency with responsibility for implementing the ADA requirements for a range of occupancy types and planning for emergency evacuation of those buildings, I urge all cruisers with some form of disability or impairment to read and be aware of the National Fire Protection Associations guide for such situations. The guide can be found as a free downloadable PDF document here:

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informati...h-disabilities

Persons with disabilities or impairments need to be aware of ways to ensure they can evacuate or be evacuated safely in the event of an emergency at sea. When you book a cruise, make sure the cruise line is aware of your disability or impairment so that arrangements can be made for your safety and possible emergency evacuation. If you need assistance moving to an area of safe refuge – such as your muster station – ask the cruise line what sort of policies and practices it has in place to assist you in the event of an emergency.

All cruisers should be aware that parking mobility devices in corridors, stairway/elevator lobbies, exit access corridors, is a violation of SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) requirements and presents a hazard to other occupants. SOLAS requires that paths of exit travel be kept clear of obstructions - including corridors, stairways, stairway and elevator lobbies, fire doors, etc. There are no exceptions for only one or two scooters. Parking a scooter, a wheelchair, a walker, or even a baby buggy in a corridor or stairway/elevator lobby should not be allowed and if it is being allowed, the cruise line is being negligent regarding fire safety.

Fire safety requirements are for everyone's protection. If your cruise line is being negligent regarding your safety by allowing others to obstruct your path of safe exit travel with their improperly parked/stored personal mobility devices, it should be reported to the guest relations desk immediately and if corrective action is not forthcoming, report it to the corporate level.

As a former professional firefighter who has, on more than one occasion, zipped a fire victim into a body bag, I can safely say that it's the seemingly innocuous things that cause loss of life during fire emergencies.

Please be aware and protect yourself and others.

Finally an honest non-sensensationalized story on the news !!!

Its honest because it agrees with your point of view? The passengers that are on the news and quoted in articles saying it was horrifying are not honest? Really??

Great video. Does anyone know if Shanon is on cruise critic? Is she one that has been posting on here and other threads??

I followed her story on another social media site on Sunday. She seems like a very upbeat person and its nice to hear someone's true experiences.

If you are reading this, Thanks for the video Shanon!!

Its honest because it agrees with your point of view? The passengers that are on the news and quoted in articles saying it was horrifying are not honest? Really??

As I mentioned a few posts ago, people tend to find the internet and post horrible experiences as soon as possible. Yes there are some who were terrified and rightfully so, but there were also others who were not. Most of those that are just "taking it all in stride" are not out there posting. The video and story that quote refers to shows that there are some that feel that way.

Can we please stop with only presenting the negative side. There are at least two sides to this story, just like any others, and we really need to wait for the ship to dock to get all sides.

Enough already!!

One thing I have noticed is most of the stories that are all from one person/couple and their continuous evaluation of everything, both here and in these articles are mostly positive. There are a few exceptions to this but again mostly positive.

The ones that are mostly negative are either official news stories (which are in the business to sell stories and unfortunately bad news sells better then good news) are cobbled together quotes and pictures from multiple people. If you took the multiple mostly positive stories and just took the most scared/upset quotes you would have an article that sounds very similar to these.

Due to these facts I take more stock in the one voice type stories that are coming out as we know that quotes aren't being taken out of context or even just being cherry picked to get the feel the article is going for.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, people tend to find the internet and post horrible experiences as soon as possible. Yes there are some who were terrified and rightfully so, but there were also others who were not. Most of those that are just "taking it all in stride" are not out there posting. The video and story that quote refers to shows that there are some that feel that way.

Can we please stop with only presenting the negative side. There are at least two sides to this story, just like any others, and we really need to wait for the ship to dock to get all sides.

Enough already!!

Yes, that is my point, there are two sides. Its all honky dory to post the positives, the people praising RCCL, but don't go posting any negative comments! Don't call it a horror or horrific experience... Can we stop only presenting the "positive" side.

Enough already of the defense and trying to sugar coat a real, preventable, horrifying experience!

So yesterday the captain Told us we would be docking at 6am Wednesday morning. Then today at noon they said they didn't know what time we would be docking and would know for sure at 3pm. At 3pm they said hey will know at 5pm.

Come on rccl find out. People just want to come home.

9pm tonight...

I have been following the Anthem stories and praying for the safe return of all aboard.

I joined CC to hopefully get some tips and insight for my upcoming cruise. While I have found some posts to be helpful, I've mostly found this a place for unhappy people to spread their poison. I don't think I've read a single post that hasn't turned into "who can outpost who" contest.

I'm going to go on my cruise and try to enjoy it no matter what the conditions. Hopefully the venomous people on these posts won't be on it.

Good luck to all on the Anthem and that everyone returns safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app