Azamara beer choices could be improved

jenkinstl

I was looking at cruise options on Celebrity and noticed that they seem to have a craft beer area on certain ships perhaps similar to a wine bar? Anyone experienced this? I would not suggest that Azamara do this, but I do think they would find that offering a couple high end IPA's would be well received. Bonnie, do you know if this has ever been discussed at Azamara?

I don't have firsthand knowledge that IPAs have been discussed but I would guess they have, probably regularly. I'll send off a query, but please be patient on the answer. The Hotel Department is beyond busy getting everything ready for the Quest drydock.

I think ale is one of the two types of beer. Lager being the other.

Modern brewing methods may have diminished the differences, but traditionally ale was made with "top-fermenting" yeast and beer with "bottom-fermenting" yeast. There are many types of beer (lager, pilsener) and many types of ale (pale, brown, porter, stout) -- but the type of yeast is the major differentiation. Here is a fuller explanation:

http://www.beertutor.com/articles/ales_vs_lagers.shtml

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Maybe you can:

http://craftbeerasia.com/

I've been to Boxing Cat. It's not that good. If that's the best Asia has to offer, I'll be sticking to wine or cocktails:D

(on the other hand, a nice crisp lager is a great pairing with spicy asian food, so I do often drink Asian beer when eating Asian food. I just don't like lager on its own - cheap or craft - it's not my preferred style of beer)

My point of view is that I can't have everything (where would I put it? :eek:) and good beer on a cruise is one of those things I can live without for a week or two.....Like wine, or food in general, it's really hard to please everybody all of the time...

(and I don't drink IPAs, so most of the discussion in the thread wouldn't affect me anyway - if Azamara adds an IPA to its menu, yippee, but I'll still drink the cabernet;))

On the ships of the german cruise line TUI, every ship is called "Mein Schiff", they start offering prosecco already for breakfast. I like to have to wake up (I don´t drink coffee) and I like it before the dinner. Like many others, especially women do.

It´s very common also in European hotels, to start offering Prosecco the whole day and it´s included in the basic complimentary drink list on "Mein Schiff".

And margbem is right, the price for a bootle of Prosecco must not be expensive.

Hipotels, a family run hotel chain in Spain (almost 30 hotels) offer Cava free of charge every morning with breakfast.

It is a nice touch.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree that an IPA should be added to the included beers.

Azamara offers reasonable included options for those who prefer wine or spirits. They should do the same for those who like beer.

Agreed! It's surprising that even Coors Light is not included. Also it would be nice if they offered a Canadian beer or 2 on the international list.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like this was for a party (complimentary?) but Warsteiner would be a nice diversion:D

Azamara Journey ‏@AzamaraJourney 1h1 hour ago

En route to #Jamaica & it's #Fruehschoppen on deck. #Sausage #Mustard #Beer it doesn't get better than this

Ce-Oc7LUYAAXP4i.jpg

Not warsteiner!!! that stopped us from afternoon skiing last year in Italy, only because we enjoyed it a little too much each lunchtime, it's a great beer though, would be happy to drink this on board.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji42][emoji42]

Edited by sunlover33

Not warsteiner!!! that stopped us from afternoon skiing last year in Italy, only because we enjoyed it a little too much each lunchtime, it's a great beer though, would be happy to drink this on board.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji42][emoji42]

The draft Becks onboard is better than Warsteiner. The last Warseiner had no taste. Boring!

The draft Becks onboard is better than Warsteiner. The last Warseiner had no taste. Boring!

I think you will find Warsteiner is the largest selling beer in Germany, and the Germans know a thing or two when come to brewing beer.

i just wish I had one in hand right now

I think you will find Warsteiner is the largest selling beer in Germany, and the Germans know a thing or two when come to brewing beer.

i just wish I had one in hand right now

I drink German beer but it is boring it's ok but not great. It is like drinking Coors or Budweiser which I will not drink. I like hoppy beer and IPA's.

Edited by ozark74

I drink German beer but it is boring it's ok .

There is variety in German brewing as there is variety in other country's brewing industries. As in most places, those who are most mass produced are the most bland -they are tailored to sell to the masses. Warsteiner is a decent brew but you can tell by its distribution it's going to be less unique than other options you can only get locally. And that includes Germany:D

I try not to disparage an entire country's brewing options based on one or two choices I might have been able to try in the US. Though it's also true that in general the styles that are popular in Germany are not as appealing to me as some of the styles that are more prevalent in Belgium. I like sours, saisons, biers de garde, lambics, dubbels & trippels etc. While my husband prefers west coast (USA) style hoppy IPAs, I like malty Belgians & funky sours:p

There is variety in German brewing as there is variety in other country's brewing industries. As in most places, those who are most mass produced are the most bland -they are tailored to sell to the masses. Warsteiner is a decent brew but you can tell by its distribution it's going to be less unique than other options you can only get locally. And that includes Germany:D

I try not to disparage an entire country's brewing options based on one or two choices I might have been able to try in the US. Though it's also true that in general the styles that are popular in Germany are not as appealing to me as some of the styles that are more prevalent in Belgium. I like sours, saisons, biers de garde, lambics, dubbels & trippels etc. While my husband prefers west coast (USA) style hoppy IPAs, I like malty Belgians & funky sours:p

You are adventurous. I have tried sours but they are different. Not my favorite. The saisons are good. I am with your husband.

You are adventurous. I have tried sours but they are different...

By nature, sours are always different -- because the natural yeast is always different. My first experience with a sour was in Alaska at a brewpub in Talkeetna -- their sour was a very pleasant surprise [and probably not a typical sour!]. So when I got home I tried a highly rated one and -- whoa mama! -- that was very different indeed. I'll stick with hops -- it's like hot Asian food, a little is good, more is better, too much is still ok but it's always the same experience just with the volume turned up or down. :)

I agree an IPA is needed.

I disagree that you should have to pay for it.

Given the wide choice of "included" beverages, it is unfair to discriminate against beer drinkers.

When the wine folks wanted a rosé for those warm days in the Med, Azamara graciously obliged and included one.

They should include an IPA for those who prefer beer on hot days.

I wonder how many people clamoring for an IPA would deal with an actual IPA rather than the overly hopped AA-king type beverage popular on the west coast of the US.;)

Well I guess technically to be an "actual" IPA it would have to be brewed in India -- which I don't think is what you mean :) But if you mean an English IPA -- I would be OK with Fullers. Fullers ESB would be good too.

Well I guess technically to be an "actual" IPA it would have to be brewed in India -- which I don't think is what you mean :) But if you mean an English IPA -- I would be OK with Fullers. Fullers ESB would be good too.

Weren't the "original" IPAs brewed in England and shipped to India?

Weren't the "original" IPAs brewed in England and shipped to India?

Yes, English brewers discovered that additional hops preserved the beer for the long voyage.

And, to follow-up on the earlier comment about a "true" IPA (if that exists at all anywhere) that's why, when describing my husband's beer preferences I am careful to state "west coast style IPAs" as those really are his favorites.

We were in London in January and he was NOT a fan of most of the British ales we had - mainly because they are taxed & priced based on ABV and therefore in most pubs all the choices were around 4 or 5abv. And, to his tastes, very bland. I found a few I enjoyed, but bitters & English ales aren't my preferred beer styles easier.

I'll say again - my tastes in beer are "different" enough I know not to expect to be satisfied when I'm in a mass market (and yes, Azamara qualifies as they are trying to stock bars somewhat universally across the globe in various ports) So I'll just drink a cocktail or the included wines and drink the beers I really love when I can find good selections of them:D

Edited by Hoyaheel