Azamara beer choices could be improved

jenkinstl

Yes, English brewers discovered that additional hops preserved the beer for the long voyage.

And, to follow-up on the earlier comment about a "true" IPA (if that exists at all anywhere) that's why, when describing my husband's beer preferences I am careful to state "west coast style IPAs" as those really are his favorites.

West coast = more hops; east coast = more malt.

My husband is a homebrewer. We've brewed probably over 1000 gallons of beer in our back yard - I'd have to check BeerSmith to see what batch we're up to. We even grow some of our own hops. I'm fairly conversant in hops, yeast, barley & water, yes:D

Edited by Hoyaheel

West coast = more hops; east coast = more malt.

Hence why I prefer the English IPAs, imo they're more balanced while I now find the West coast style too hoppy (too many years of double and triple IPAs is my excuse:D). In any case, it's nice to see there are generally more options than "beer", Bud, Coors or Heineken.:cool:

It seems beer has always been considered the inferior product to wines and mixed drinks. Sometimes at dinner all wine orders are taken and then maybe your beer order will be taken. Unless more people make beer an issue nothing will change and the focus will remain on wines which the cruise line thinks is more important.

Not a fan of the hoppy taste. Okay, so don't laugh but if they can have Bud light, why not Coors light? I think they used to have it in 2012. It shouldn't be that hard to add that one.

OK, I'm not laughing -- I'm asking: could you pass a blind taste test between those two?

OK, I'm not laughing -- I'm asking: could you pass a blind taste test between those two?

I most certainly could. Are you a betting man? ;)

DH loves his wine...unfortunately red wine gives me a migraine and as much as I love the taste of some cocktails, especially rum drinks, I learned the hard way, I am very limited to what my body can handle. Rum makes me dumb....lol.

I'm not a beer drinker, but would have liked some cider options for our cruise in August. I can't see that there are any options, even for purchase.

Here is another vote for Cider to be included in their free beverages however just returned from the Journey and they advertise Strongbow for $ 4.95. To be honest I never ordered it because I was trying to work my way thru the included cocktail list!

Rosalyn

• 2 months later...
I'm the original poster on this string and still hoping to hear from Azamara about adding one or two IPA choices on cruises originating from the US. I have some suggestions of top rated US beers.

Hello jenkinstl,

The dual topics of favorite 'drinks of choice' and 'drinks included on the complimentary list' both come up regularly here.

I'm not hearing there are plans to change anything.

You are welcome to submit your suggestions and I'll pass them along though.

Thank you Bonnie. I would appreciate it if you forward my request and make note of all the supporting comments.

I don't drink wine or liquor but really enjoy a good India Pale Ale (IPA). I was surprised and disappointed that there were none available at all on our first Azamara cruise last Fall.

IPA is the fastest growing craft beer in the US. I suggest at least one be available on cruises originating from the US. My two favorites are Stone Brewing Company IPA and Ballast Point Brewing Sculpin IPA. Both are mid range for hoppiness, very highly rated and widely available in bottles.

If a company owned by AB/Inbev is required then I would suggest Elysian Brewing Company Immortal IPA.

Thank you,

Tom Jenkins

Redmond WA

Thank you Bonnie. I would appreciate it if you forward my request and make note of all the supporting comments.

I don't drink wine or liquor but really enjoy a good India Pale Ale (IPA). I was surprised and disappointed that there were none available at all on our first Azamara cruise last Fall.

IPA is the fastest growing craft beer in the US. I suggest at least one be available on cruises originating from the US. My two favorites are Stone Brewing Company IPA and Ballast Point Brewing Sculpin IPA. Both are mid range for hoppiness, very highly rated and widely available in bottles.

If a company owned by AB/Inbev is required then I would suggest Elysian Brewing Company Immortal IPA.

Thank you,

Tom Jenkins

Redmond WA

Your post has been passed along and I received confirmation of receipt along with this teaser line... "We will be rolling out some changes in the coming months".

So keep hope alive!

Your post has been passed along and I received confirmation of receipt along with this teaser line... "We will be rolling out some changes in the coming months".

So keep hope alive!

Glad you are now hearing plans for changes. I was a bit disappointed with your post from the day before. I know this is the beer thread but please can we have other bubbles as well aka

Cava or prosecco in the included package

The water package added on to the like package as well as the beer package or sparkling water included across the board

Thanks

Just off Celebrity Constellation, and while I didn't do a complete survey of wine and beer offerings I did note that they carry the following brands that are relevant to this thread: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Perrier-Jouet Champagne [this was the amenity waiting for us in our suite]. That means they are all available from the company stocks in Miami, and could easily be added to the Azamara inventory.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Hi Bonnie and AZ affecionados,

Can I add my vote to adding a cava or prosecco option on Azamara and also a suggestion of how it might work!

I understand why Corporate might not want to add a bubbly option throughout the ship because of the issues of wastage; once a bottle is opened it has to be consumed before it goes flat. Also, we know that Corporate doesn't want to discourage Champagne sales in the dining venues.

I would like to suggest that a cava or prosecco be offered in the Living Room with the Tapas in the late afternoon/early evening. It is a perfect compliment to the type of tapas that AZ is offering and would satisfy the many AZ cruisers who want a bubbly glass before dinner. It would make the Tapas service a bit more special, in keeping with the upscale image of AZ.

When we are on Celebrity, we often will have a glass or prosecco before dinner instead of wine or a cocktail. It is included with their Classic Package and even though we have a Like Package on our upcoming AZ cruise, we still don't have a bubbly included although DH is happy with the expanded beer choices.

Hope my suggestion makes for interesting discussions!

Turangi!

Bonnie, perhaps a gluten-free beer also. Estrella Damm Daura is a fab beer and available on the Celebrity ships.

On Azamara it is a special order. You have to call and order it at least 90 days prior to sailing. It is really difficult to estimate how much beer one will drink 3 month out. It really is weather dependent!

• 6 months later...

Don't count on it since provisioning is probably already done. Reading through this thread it appears that many people like IPA's, as do I, but it will not be available. My suggestion is that if it's really important to you AND San Diego County has the most micro-breweries in the USA you visit one of the breweries located near the cruise terminal and load up your favorite IPA. Go visit Karl Strauss, Half Door, Monkey Paw, Green Flash, Ballast Point or Stone Brewing and taste them all, and buy your favorites.

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but to add my 2 cents worth...we've been disappointed in the included beer options on AZ. We are not big beer drinkers, actually prefer wine in the evening, but we sometimes like to have a beer with lunch, especially at the grill by the pool. The selections are way too limited.