Auto check-in American Airlines?

Mistizoom

I usually fly United and they offer automatic check-in at 24 hours prior to departure for the return flight on a round trip. Does anyone know if American Airlines offers the same? I haven't flown with them in several years but will be for my upcoming cruise. My first return flight looks completely full so I'd like to check in at the 24 hour mark of possible. I will look into getting a small Wi-Fi package onboard if they don't have auto check-in.

Same thing.

You can check in 24 hours prior to your flight and you can obtain your boarding passes.

Very easy.

Assuming you provided your e mail to them then you will receive an e mail when it is time to check in or you can just go to their web site directly.

Keith

I'm confused. If you have an assigned seat, you don't need to check in at the crack of 24 hours. You only have to be checked in prior to their close of the flight, which is usually Do you just have a reservation, but no seat assigned?

From the AA website:

"To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:**

Minimum check-in is at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure in most locations

If you're departing from our hubs or one of the cities listed below you'll need to check in at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure

Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure

For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires, Dublin and Maracaibo, Venezuela

Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure"

Same thing.

You can check in 24 hours prior to your flight and you can obtain your boarding passes.

Very easy.

Assuming you provided your e mail to them then you will receive an e mail when it is time to check in or you can just go to their web site directly.

Keith

Different thing. OP is asking about the check-in process being done automatically, so you don't have to go online 24 hours ahead and actually do it. It's a process that Southwest, for example, sells for a small upcharge that people hope gets them a better boarding position.

I don't personally see the need for automatic check in if you have seats assigned, and if you don't have seats assigned, I would rather log in and actually pick my seats at the 24 hour mark.

Same thing.

Very easy.

Keith

I will be on the cruise and don't plan to buy a wi-fi package so I won't be able to check my email the day before the flight.

I'm confused. If you have an assigned seat, you don't need to check in at the crack of 24 hours. You only have to be checked in prior to their close of the flight, which is usually Do you just have a reservation, but no seat assigned?

From the AA website:

"To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:**

Minimum check-in is at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure in most locations

If you're departing from our hubs or one of the cities listed below you'll need to check in at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure

Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure

For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires, Dublin and Maracaibo, Venezuela

Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure"

Different thing. OP is asking about the check-in process being done automatically, so you don't have to go online 24 hours ahead and actually do it. It's a process that Southwest, for example, sells for a small upcharge that people hope gets them a better boarding position.

I don't personally see the need for automatic check in if you have seats assigned, and if you don't have seats assigned, I would rather log in and actually pick my seats at the 24 hour mark.

If you have assigned seats, there is no need to check in at the 24 hour mark provided you intend to get to the airport early. If checking in at the 24 hour mark is the only reason you intend to buy a wifi package, I'd skip it.

I do have seats assigned, however they are showing 100% full over one month out, so I assume the flight is being oversold. Checking in at the 24 hour mark is one of the things you can do to prevent being bumped involuntarily. One of items considered in involuntary bumping is when someone checked in. The later the check-in, the more likely to be bumped.

I still haven't heard from anyone who flies American and knows if auto check-in is available? If anyone knows, that would be great. Thanks!

Edited by Mistizoom

I do have seats assigned, however they are showing 100% full over one month out, so I assume the flight is being oversold. Checking in at the 24 hour mark is one of the things you can do to prevent being bumped involuntarily. One of items considered in involuntary bumping is when someone checked in. The later the check-in, the more likely to be bumped.

I still haven't heard from anyone who flies American and knows if auto check-in is available? If anyone knows, that would be great. Thanks!

That is compete and utter nonsense. You have no idea if the flight is oversold or not. Never assume....we all know what that means. As others have said you don't need to checkin 24 hrs prior this isn't southwest. As far as IVDB goes....if for some reason it as oversold they will start with offers for a VDB and in my flying on both UA and AA I have NEVER seen a case where they didn't find enough people willing to take the offers to give up there seat. ( I am usually one of the folks who take the offer. (I took a $200 IAH-TPA trip one time and got a voucher, used that for another TPA trip, took another bump on that trip and used that cert for a nice weekend in DEN. Final total was $200 for two weekends in Tampa and one in Denver. :D ))

As soon as you dock you can check in with the AA ap on your phone. Or when you get to the airport. Don't over think this. :rolleyes:

Thank you!!!

I can confirm that AA does not have Automatic check in and I am surprised that United does it. How does it work and how do you get your boarding pass?

Of course as other have said you can do on line check in at 24 hours or you can have someone do it for you.

If you give us the exact flight numbers, day, and time we can check on Expert Flyer and see if it is in fact sold out.

Good luck.

24 hours before your flight you will receive an e mail from American Airlines.

Subject:Your Trip Is Now Eligible For Check-In

While you don't need to do this we do and print out our boarding passes.

That way when we arrive to the airport all we have to do is check in the luggage curbside.

Again, not required and you don't lose anything whether you do it 24 hours before or 10 hours before but it is available to you.

Keith

I can confirm that AA does not have Automatic check in and I am surprised that United does it. How does it work and how do you get your boarding pass?

Of course as other have said you can do on line check in at 24 hours or you can have someone do it for you.

If you give us the exact flight numbers, day, and time we can check on Expert Flyer and see if it is in fact sold out.

Good luck.

Thanks, on the return United checks you in at 24 hours, then emails you the board passes and/or send them to your phone app. It is optional, but I usually use it.

The flight is AA 1284 MIA-ORD at 3:15 pm on March 20.

Thanks, on the return United checks you in at 24 hours, then emails you the board passes and/or send them to your phone app. It is optional, but I usually use it.

right now, there are 11 open seats. This number will change right up to take off. The flights out of Miami all look pretty full, and it's not uncommon to have sold out flights, on cruise ship days.

But- in my opinion, you can check in from your ship in the morning and have only a very slim chance of getting bumped. I haven't seen involuntary bumps in years.

Edited by Budget Queen

right now, there are 11 open seats. This number will change right up to take off. The flights out of Miami all look pretty full, and it's not uncommon to have sold out flights, on cruise ship days.

But- in my opinion, you can check in from your ship in the morning and have only a very slim chance of getting bumped. I haven't seen involuntary bumps in years.

Thanks. I will probably wait and check-in on my phone first thing Sunday morning.

Edited by Mistizoom

Thanks I do not fly United much, but I will try that next time.

I see why you might have thought there were not many seats available on your flight. 40+ economy seats are not assigned, but they are the premium ones and unless you have status you do not see them. The flight has more than 7 first and 7 coach tickets available according to Expert Flyer. They only show 7 max, but it is probably many more. I would consider this flight fairly open at this time.

I cannot imagine that you would have any issue at all.

Enjoy your cruise and your flight.

Thanks I do not fly United much, but I will try that next time.

I see why you might have thought there were not many seats available on your flight. 40+ economy seats are not assigned, but they are the premium ones and unless you have status you do not see them. The flight has more than 7 first and 7 coach tickets available according to Expert Flyer. They only show 7 max, but it is probably many more. I would consider this flight fairly open at this time.

I cannot imagine that you would have any issue at all.

Enjoy your cruise and your flight.

Sorry, I was checking 2/20 flights. Currently- 65 open seats. But, there's a lot of time for those to fill- which Miami flights do. :)

• 3 weeks later...

And this is an example of why I like to check in early:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/02/29/175-pound-man-gets-booted-from-plane-due-to-weight-restrictions/21320586/

175-pound man gets booted from plane due to weight restrictions

Some people have had issues flying because of their weight, but the latest passenger with this problem is just 175 pounds.

The incident occurred when Dan Nykaza was asked to leave an American Airlines Envoy flight from O'Hare to Salt Lake City because it had exceeded its maximum takeoff capacity, reports WLS.

According to him, he had been seated for nearly 30 minutes when a flight attendant told him to get off.

Nykaza has also said that the flight was not oversold, but because of the weight restrictions and a lack of volunteers, staff chose to remove the last two people who checked in.

WLS found that ticketed passengers can be bumped regardless of the airline or person's size.

American has since apologized to Nykaza and offered him 15,000 additional miles and a $500 voucher.

Never a bad idea to check in earlier, but in this case he was literally one of the very last 2 pax to check in. As long as one is checked in a couple of hours before flight time you would be unlikely to be last. Also, while removing pax for weight and balance happens, IME it really isn't that frequent so shouldn't be one's primary concern. More often they just unload some bags, not pax, and put them on the next flight.

I think the point of this post has been missed. When you check in online at United you are asked if you'd like to be automatically checked in for your return flight. If you say yes, you will be checked in and sent your boarding pass 24 hours before your return flight with no action having to be taken on your part. The OP is asking if AA has the same option

I think the point of this post has been missed. When you check in online at United you are asked if you'd like to be automatically checked in for your return flight. If you say yes, you will be checked in and sent your boarding pass 24 hours before your return flight with no action having to be taken on your part. The OP is asking if AA has the same option

Nope. The OP's question WAS answered in post #9 and confirmed in post #11. But as often happens, the thread subsequently goes off on related tangents as others ask questions about similar situations. ;)

Your original question has been answered, but I suggest that you look at Expert Flyer - that website will tell you which seats are actually occupied and which are blocked. And, as another poster said, you can't see premium seats unless you are eligible to book them for free. So I think you'll be fine.:)

I do recommend checking in as soon as you're in your home network, though. A few years ago I was on an AA flight from Orlando to LAX and there was an equipment change that reduced the number of business class seats, not sure by how many (I think it was from a 767 to a 757). I had checked in on the way from the ship, but several people who waited until they arrived at the airport were given the choice of middle seats in economy or waiting until the next day if they wanted to fly in business. So I won't pay to check in right at the 24 hour mark, but I wouldn't waste any time doing it once I'm awake and back in port.