Anthem Feb 13 Sailing would you cancel?

TNCruzer56

Hello Folks,

Love all the interaction.

Here are some sites you may peruse when you have time...

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

and :

http://www.cruiseminus.com

RCCL said this would not happen again...

Their ship costs too much. lol ;)

Take care,

Safe Journeys everyone.

Remember to TIP Tip and tip....

That is what the crew lives for.

Happy Valentines Day.

We are the Moore's

Tampa Bay :)

621027132_SpiritHotTub.jpg.5cf0efb6c2318d1931b4463852db1487.jpg

So I hate to bring this up but does anyone know exactly how much the ship listed? Some people on TV claimed it was 45 degrees but I have a really hard time believing that.

I doubt it came anywhere near that. There are photos showing a list of around 12 degrees, perhaps they may have gotten to 20 degrees, but not 45 degrees. At 45 degrees, not only would it be practically impossible to stand, but if you were in bed you'd be rolled out of it just before the bed itself would go flying across the room.

So I hate to bring this up but does anyone know exactly how much the ship listed? Some people on TV claimed it was 45 degrees but I have a really hard time believing that.

This was discussed on another thread, with graphs and charts and calculators.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 14 degrees.

I agree. He did NOT make the decision to sail in a bubble. Royal even stated already that they have an onshore team that makes these decisions, they're just enhancing it now with the new team they're forming. Honestly I think it would be a very poor decision on Royal's part to make the captain a scapegoat for this and fire him to shut up the media.

This captain just fought a hurricane-strength storm in a 168k ton ship and won. Do you really want to get rid of someone with that type of skill? Personally, I think Royal should have him speak to every other captain in the fleet to say, "hey, if you get stuck in this situation, here's what worked and here's what didn't during the storm." Also mandate all captains, officers, AND corporate decision makers to complete extensive meteorology training with regular re-certification. (Edit - even this is no guarantee! Weather changes, moves, gets worse. Any captain should be prepared to handle this or worse.)

Just saying - I think there are better ways to learn from this scenario instead of just firing the captain as a quick way to look like they're doing something to the press. Improving their long-term processes and training may not be as "sexy" or scandalous to the press, but perhaps that should be seen as a good thing. (Edit - regardless of whether it could have initially been avoided, additional training never hurts!)

Like!

If you have ever been in something that was tilting that you think should not be tilting, 10 degrees feels like 45 degrees and 20 degrees feels like 80 degrees.

If the ship had tilted 45 degrees, more than four people would have been injured.

I'd sail on the Anthem and with the same Captain.

I probably won't be sailing out of the northeast in winter though, but that's just a matter of geography - I'd have to fly there and since that's the case, might as well just hop a plane to Puerto Rico and sail from there instead. :)

By the reports I've read it was not just a rolling, but a wind driven list. So imagine being held at an angle AND being pitched up and down by waves at the same time. No fun. Shudder to imagine.

CassList2.jpg

This is a 21 degree list

nordlys-2db5b9f8ac128f7e0045c7937ee681f1e0eb5606-s900-c85.jpg

This is near 20 degree list

Alt_Rena%20Stern%20074620111012%20at%20074620.jpg

I have but 2 simple questions:

1: Did the captain lie when he told the crew and pax that they were to expect 12-15 foot seas? In fact, and it has been well documented that 30+ foot seas were predicted on Thursday for the following Sunday. He was holding the weather fax in his hands.

-

2: Being a veteran seaman, and I suspect the ability to comprehend that seas were increasing, barometric pressure was abnormally dropping, early on Saturday and looking at the below radar imaging, along with a multitude of other warning signals, it was very likely that his 1st seaworthy instinct was to turn around, but was given orders to proceed south into what became a hurricane. Hell I grew up in FLA and it looks like a hurricane to me about 18 hours before hitting the eye.

22222.jpg

The evidence is there-I have nothing else to say. Unlike the unkind words said against me, I only wish that all cruzers stay safe ...and informed.

Above images make me think of crossing the Columbia Bar stories in NW and at a museum in

Astoria, Oregon. Thanks for info. Can't wait to get to truth of how much they could really know etc. I think our weather changes are perhaps part of equation too.. in recent comparative times; rougher storms. Somebody mentioned the Drake passage.... ROUGH CROSSINGS ARE AWESOME.

I am inclined to think captain did a wonderful job. And so did the crew and many cruise travelers from reports.

Many a storm survivor land or sea, ship, auto, or walking against a blizzard full body force into the wind to make it home...just understands weather, doing your best, and making it.

Edited by sjn911
spelling, type-o's, adding a phrase.

I have but 2 simple questions:

1: Did the captain lie when he told the crew and pax that they were to expect 12-15 foot seas? In fact, and it has been well documented that 30+ foot seas were predicted on Thursday for the following Sunday. He was holding the weather fax in his hands.

-

2: Being a veteran seaman, and I suspect the ability to comprehend that seas were increasing, barometric pressure was abnormally dropping, early on Saturday and looking at the below radar imaging, along with a multitude of other warning signals, it was very likely that his 1st seaworthy instinct was to turn around, but was given orders to proceed south into what became a hurricane. Hell I grew up in FLA and it looks like a hurricane to me about 18 hours before hitting the eye.

22222.jpg

The evidence is there-I have nothing else to say. Unlike the unkind words said against me, I only wish that all cruzers stay safe ...and informed.

I read a similar post made today, or yesterday, from a well respected meteorologist who said this was predicted and noted on weather info charts. But it seems to me none of the forecasts called for the speed of wind that was encountered. Hurricane winds, YES, but those speeds are approximately 60% of what was actually encountered. So I'm hesitant to crucify the captain here entirely.

I mean, if you are on a ship totally safe and capable of handling 74 MPH winds, and the weather report says rapidly deteriorating conditions, hurricane strength winds, would you be overly alarmed? I haven't seen anything from before the storm predict the cat 3/cat 4 level winds.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Most people that were on that ship do not consider him a hero.They are just happy to be alive. You people are all talk by saying you would love to sail with him

do you have ESP or something?

I'd sail with him for the simple reason that the chances of it happening again are remote. And he's done thousands of these things.

Now I'm not saying I would seek him out, but if there was a cruise I wanted to go on and he was the captain I'd not hesitate.

I usually have no idea who the captain is anyway.

Edited by DrD

I'm torn on the question posed by the OP.

It's clear that the Captain did a great job dealing with the storm. But it's also clear that he's not telling the truth when he says that the weather forecasts were wrong. The forecasts did say that waves up to 35 feet were possible.

I'd like Royal to make a statement along these lines: "We made a very poor judgment call when we decided to proceed with the Anthem cruise despite the dangerous weather forecast. We apologize and will, in the future, act with the safety of our passengers as our number one concern" But they won't do it because they are afraid of government and civil liability.

It's clear that the Captain did a great job dealing with the storm. But it's also clear that he's not telling the truth when he says that the weather forecasts were wrong. The forecasts did say that waves up to 35 feet were possible.

I'd like Royal to make a statement along these lines: "We made a very poor judgment call when we decided to proceed with the Anthem cruise despite the dangerous weather forecast. We apologize and will, in the future, act with the safety of our passengers as our number one concern" But they won't do it because they are afraid of government and civil liability.

I agree with LMaxwell. I've not seen any forecast to date that predicted anything close to the winds encountered.

Like....and this is the issue ,,,so much liability and getting to truth with all the issues at hand.

I read a similar post made today, or yesterday, from a well respected meteorologist who said this was predicted and noted on weather info charts. But it seems to me none of the forecasts called for the speed of wind that was encountered. Hurricane winds, YES, but those speeds are approximately 60% of what was actually encountered. So I'm hesitant to crucify the captain here entirely.

I mean, if you are on a ship totally safe and capable of handling 74 MPH winds, and the weather report says rapidly deteriorating conditions, hurricane strength winds, would you be overly alarmed? I haven't seen anything from before the storm predict the cat 3/cat 4 level winds.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Thank you.

Most people that were on thatship do not consider him a hero.They are just happy to be alive. You people are all talk by saying you would love to sail with him

Well, depending who is in charge of the ship in about 3 weeks, I MAY be sailing with him. And I will love it :D The entire experience, from food, to shows, to drinking wine on our balcony on sea days!