Anthem Feb 13 Sailing would you cancel?

TNCruzer56

A ship can go 45 degrees and then right itself. In fact, it is a SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) requirement.

Can you please provide the link for this requirement? I've been unable to find it and would like to educate myself more as to the specifics. Any *official* link would be fine...even an official recap of the pertinent section would be fine.

Thank you.

Can you please provide the link for this requirement? I've been unable to find it and would like to educate myself more as to the specifics. Any *official* link would be fine...even an official recap of the pertinent section would be fine.

Thank you.

It is a SOLAS requirement that has been noted in the Royal Caribbean video on the building of the Voyager class ships and was cited by one of the Royal Caribbean captains during the Captain's Corner.

SOLAS regulations are long and full of technical data. I'm not going to spend time looking for it. Try contacting Captain Bill Wright in Royal Caribbean, I'm sure he can point you right to it. Captain Wright was the person who brought the Voyager from Europe to Florida and was featured on the video put out by Royal Caribbean. The SOLAS regulation was mentioned on the video.

I have no horse in this race, but it perturbs me that RCCL did NOT mention azipod damage until the news got ahold of it. They didn't really lie, they just didn't fully inform families waiting on news from the ship, and the passengers on it. I hate the secrecy. The buying public has a right to know in real time. I don't blame the Captain, I blame RCCL, and probably will not sail with them again until they change their logic in this type of situation.

I have no horse in this race, but it perturbs me that RCCL did NOT mention azipod damage until the news got ahold of it. They didn't really lie, they just didn't fully inform families waiting on news from the ship, and the passengers on it. I hate the secrecy. The buying public has a right to know in real time.

What difference would it have made? The ship was seaworthy, it just went slower than normal. As I said earlier, the only thing that it would have accomplished was to give people who were already concerned an excuse to start being worried about the ship becoming dead in the middle of the ocean.

You mentioned "The buying public". Who was going to book or cancel a future cruise based on the information?

I'm booked for tomorrow :( and I'm worried we'll lose a sea day. So what do you guys think will happen? I wish I could cancel but then we will lose a lot of money

According to the latest statement by the USCG, it seems Anthem will sail. It also doesn't seem that your itinerary will change, but of course any of that can change.

It is a SOLAS requirement that has been noted in the Royal Caribbean video on the building of the Voyager class ships and was cited by one of the Royal Caribbean captains during the Captain's Corner.

SOLAS regulations are long and full of technical data. I'm not going to spend time looking for it. Try contacting Captain Bill Wright in Royal Caribbean, I'm sure he can point you right to it. Captain Wright was the person who brought the Voyager from Europe to Florida and was featured on the video put out by Royal Caribbean. The SOLAS regulation was mentioned on the video.

Figured as much.

He is long gone from Royal Caribbean.

I have no horse in this race, but it perturbs me that RCCL did NOT mention azipod damage until the news got ahold of it. They didn't really lie, they just didn't fully inform families waiting on news from the ship, and the passengers on it. I hate the secrecy. The buying public has a right to know in real time. I don't blame the Captain, I blame RCCL, and probably will not sail with them again until they change their logic in this type of situation.

I own furniture from a company that got swallowed up 30+ years ago. White of Mebane. Good furniture, sleep on it every night. Eat on it 6 times a year.

I think you are clueless about what happened.

Ship doesn't sail, holy he double hockey sticks breaks out. Ship sails what happened happened.

Can't win in that scenario. Until you get the people booking vacations smarter than the hosts of Entertainment Tonight... What the heck do you expect.

JC

At a Captain's Corner on the Quantum, the ship engineer mentioned that the class was designed for up to a 45 degree list. In another thread, a passenger on the ship talked to the Captain who told him the max list on the Feb 6 sailing was 22 degrees.

My skepticism of that claim is off the charts, but it is possible, but none of the people reporting live that had any credibility demonstrated that.

So, I am guessing 10 to 14 was the max list. Could be 22, yes. Doubt it.

JC

At a Captain's Corner on the Quantum, the ship engineer mentioned that the class was designed for up to a 45 degree list. In another thread, a passenger on the ship talked to the Captain who told him the max list on the Feb 6 sailing was 22 degrees.

Figured as much.

Here is someone else citing the same 45 degree requirement I cited. Cruise ships are required to be able to right themselves after tilting at a 45 degree angle.

Here is someone else citing the same 45 degree requirement I cited. Cruise ships are required to be able to right themselves after tilting at a 45 degree angle.

What? Where did you see that? 45 degrees on a ship like that and balconies are under water.

What? Where did you see that? 45 degrees on a ship like that and balconies are under water.

You need to sharpen your reading skills. I didn't say the Anthem tilted 45 degrees. I said that it is a SOLAS requirement that a cruise ship must be able to right itself after tilting 45 degrees.

You need to sharpen your reading skills. I didn't say the Anthem tilted 45 degrees. I said that it is a SOLAS requirement that a cruise ship must be able to right itself after tilting 45 degrees.

Yes to which I reply what? Where did you see such a requirement?

This is 45 degrees with no wind or waves image_update_2821697655001_3971024664001_brightcove.jpg

Yes to which I reply what? Where did you see such a requirement?

It is a SOLAS requirement. It is on the Royal Caribbean DVD describing the building of the Voyager class ships. One of Royal Caribbean's captains mentioned it during a Captain's Corner. Another poster stated the ship's engineer mentioned it during a Captain's Corner.

I have been searching SOLAS requirements and can't find anything to substantiate your claim. If you can post a link so that I could see it, I would appreciate it.

Here you go ...

http://www.mar.ist.utl.pt/mventura/Projecto-Navios-I/IMO-Conventions%20(copies)/SOLAS.pdf

It is 910 pages and no table of contents.

It would be easier to ask the captain or chief engineer on your next cruise.