Tea

yuvraj

I am British and I like my tea made with boiling hot water and cold milk.

RCI seem to have great difficulty in :

a). Sourcing decent selection of tea

b). Providing water hot enough to make a decent cup / pot of tea

c). Providing milk

Biggest disappointment on recent cruise on Oasis was the quality of the tea. Anyone else agree?

Well, I know that on our most recent Serenade cruise, my sister had difficulty with the tea bags. They were very strange in that the holes seemed too small to let any tea seep out into the hot water. She managed with two tea bags in each cup but it was frustrating.

To address your comments specifically:

a) the tea bag selection, although not to your taste, is actually quite large and probably on a whole appeals to most passengers (selection of regular and herbal teas).

b) the water is probably as hot as possible without the chance of injuring a passenger

c) thermoses of milk are available in the Windjammer buffet at the drink station

I'm not a tea drinker but DH is and always moans about the tea. When the ships are in Europe they sometimes have Tetleys and the ships sailing from the UK have a kettle in the cabin for boiling water . In the Caribbean though I think the ships are set up for the mainly US passengers who don't drink tea in the same way the Brits do:)

Julie

Although I would tend to agree, I can't say I've seen it better on any other cruise line. I do enjoy tea, but it doesn't really impact my cruise.

I find the water is hotter at drink stations like at the buffet and coffee shop more so than in the MDR.

c). Providing milk

Biggest disappointment on recent cruise on Oasis was the quality of the tea. Anyone else agree?

My very Irish dad is very fussy about his tea as well I usually pack teabags sad I know but it stops him moaning found that the water from the grazer in the promade cafe was hot enough and added his own tea bag

The milk situation if u manage to find nice milk do share

c). Providing milk

Anthem had Tetley...which seemed to make all the Brits and Aussies swoon with happiness.

I find the water is hotter at drink stations like at the buffet and coffee shop more so than in the MDR.

What he said.

Edited by KarinaGW

c). Providing milk

I completely agree with you!!!!! After our first cruise I started bringing my own tea with me. I am a total green tea snob. I buy organic green tea leaves and make up little tea bags to bring on cruises, actually on any trip we take. I don't use milk since I drink mine clear and I always ask for two pots of hot water. The hot water has been slow to come, but it has usually been hot enough in the dining room.

They seem to have Lipton teas (YUK!!!!!!!) on most of the ships we have been on. At times they have Tetley, but it has been rare so I don't count on it. My solution has been to bring my own green tea.

Dee

I too am a tea snob and bring my own tea brew mug with strainer. I have had an issue that the hot water was brought in a pot that has also held coffee - yuck.. So I ask them to fill my brewer with hot water and then brew. As far as milk - your best bet is the Windjammer. we keep milk for our son with Type 1 diabetes so always have a true small refrigerator in the room to keep it cold.

If you're at all particular about the taste of your tea, bring your own tea. On the Liberty OTS, all the free choices made very weak tea. I couldn't make a decent cup with multiple tea bags nor by letting it steep until lukewarm. As for the "fancy" teas available for a fee, most of the choices were assorted Tazo "fruits" and/or "flowers" teas (like passion-fruit, chamomile). I just wanted a hearty black (and sometimes a green) tea. I even bought the package that includes the upscale teas; very disappointed.