Shipping luggage from US to Imjuiden, Netherlands round trip cruise Prinsendam

Tika

We are planning to book a HA cruise on the Prinsendam in August 2016. We would like to ship our luggage from New Jersey to Imjuiden, Amsterdam, Netherlands and then have it shipped back home to NJ after the cruise. Has anyone done this? I have checked several web sites offering this service and Luggage Forward seems to offer the best service but it is soooooo expensive. Is it worth it? Pros and cons would be appreciated for any shipping services. What was you experience?

Is this a Grand Cruise or a World cruise on the Prinsendam & is it for two people..?

If so, Hal might pick up 2 pieces of luggage at your home & deliver it to the ship, but I'm not sure they will ship it overseas..

They did that for us for our January Grand Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, but we had to pay in full by May 31 of the previous year (6 months pr4ior to departure) .... We took the HAL insurance just in case we had to cancel..

I would check with HAL as was suggested..

If it's not a Grand cruise or World cruise then I would take only two 25 or 26 inch bags with 1 piece of hand luggage for the two of us to Europe..

Shipping is always very expensive..

You might want to check with HAL, they offer this service as well. As you say it is expensive. I can't imagine that you need to do it but if you want to, bring your wallet.

HAL recommends Luggage Forward but there seems to be no discounts or promos. DH has heart issues with past open heart surgery, so we really need some kind of luggage help. The cruise is 14 days/nights. Packing will be a challenge for us for sure especially for me as hard as I really try I always over pack. I don't know yet what the airlines charge for luggage on International flights. I am not sure but I think our TA said Delta.

Thank you everyone who responded to my post! Maybe I will get some more input for our luggage issues.

HAL recommends Luggage Forward but there seems to be no discounts or promos. DH has heart issues with past open heart surgery, so we really need some kind of luggage help. The cruise is 14 days/nights. Packing will be a challenge for us for sure especially for me as hard as I really try I always over pack. I don't know yet what the airlines charge for luggage on International flights. I am not sure but I think our TA said Delta.

Thank you everyone who responded to my post! Maybe I will get some more input for our luggage issues.

Most US carriers give you one free checked bag per person for International flights (to Europe), I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Most US carriers give you one free checked bag per person for International flights (to Europe), I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are right. I know I've never paid for luggage on an International flight, even when I flew coach or Premium Economy. I think in Business class I would be allowed 2 suitcases (as if I could drag that many! :eek:)

I have checked into shipping luggage myself, and like so many others, balked at the cost.

Since you have health issues, you might just consider making use of porters, skycaps, and bellhops. For a few tips, it should be possible to never have to lug your luggage anywhere especially if your husband is handicapped.

You might check with the airports you are flying through, to see how you can get assistance claiming your bags, etc.

Edited by Tom O.

Tika, I think that, perhaps, you are unnecessarily concerned. I don't know anything about the Amsterdam airport, but I would be surprised if there are not personnel available to take your luggage off the carousels and put them into the cab. The reverse holds true at the pier/hotel/whatever. I am sure that you have rolling luggage if it is necessary to move it a few feet. I think that you will find, as Tom O said, there will always be someone to help you with the luggage.

Enjoy the anticipation of your trip and don't dwell on what is probably not a problem.

At Amsterdam Airport Schiphol a Baggage trolleys and porter service is offered. If you wish to use the airport’s porter service, you will need to make a reservation five working days prior to departure or arrival. See this link:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Luggage/BaggageTrolleysPorterService.htm

Assistance upon departures from Schiphol

Are you departing from Schiphol and have difficulty with mobility? Schiphol offers free assistance to passengers with reduced mobility or a disability. You can read all the important information here:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/InformationForPassengersWithReducedMobility/AssistanceUponDeparturesFromSchiphol.htm

Edited by PeetNL

You sound like good candidates for Holland America transfers. The most you should have to do is wheel your luggage from the baggage carousel to a pickup point. I have not seen a major European airport that did not have free luggage carts.

You can (or better must) arrange porterservice in advance at Schiphol airport. There will be no regular staff to help you with luggage since you will collect it in the restricted customs area.

Indeed check the link re people with mobility issues.

Yes free carts will be available, which you will need to push yourself.

Please also be aware that IJmuiden is NOT Amsterdam, but about 20 miles west of Amsterdam. So you will need to arrange onward transportation too.

HAL offers a shuttle service, last year from Hotel Victoria, opposite Centraal Station. Also check that with HAL.

In 2017 Prinsendam will sail again from Amsterdam and not anymore from IJmuiden.

Thank you all so very much! The information about Schiphol is extremely helpful. We will need someone at the airport to help us get our luggage off the carousel reclaim area upon arrival and then on to the HA shuttle to the hotel and then again when we get to the airport when we leave for our flight back to the USA. Cost wise this seems a lot more do able with just the logistics to work out. I contacted the car service we have used in the past for airport/cruise travel and apparently they have international connections for the type of service as mentioned above......could possibly be Schiphol? So thanks to CC and all here I am on the right track!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so hoping and "praying" we can take this cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had to ship our luggage (3 pieces) from Canary Is to USA,

Cost € 708.40

Good luck....

The estimate or I should say guesstimate I found here on line with the different luggage services is somewhere between $5.00 & $6.00 a lb. One way for international shipping. Can anyone address the prices?

I know........Good Luck...........thanks for your input!

I have checked into shipping luggage myself, and like so many others, balked at the cost.

Since you have health issues, you might just consider making use of porters, skycaps, and bellhops. For a few tips, it should be possible to never have to lug your luggage anywhere especially if your husband is handicapped.

You might check with the airports you are flying through, to see how you can get assistance claiming your bags, etc.

After ankle surgery I passed through Amsterdam airport and they are fabulous with wheelchair assistance, etc. they wouldn't take a tip, either.

Also if anyone else needs to know, the entrance rolling onto the airport train is totally flat, the transfer is really easy.

Bon Voyage!

Susan

After ankle surgery I passed through Amsterdam airport and they are fabulous with wheelchair assistance, etc. they wouldn't take a tip, either.

Also if anyone else needs to know, the entrance rolling onto the airport train is totally flat, the transfer is really easy.

Bon Voyage!

Susan

I did check Newark Int. NJ airport for luggage assistance and didn't come up with any specialized service for personalized assistance other than the usual skycaps that help you once you have located all your luggage from the carousel. We need help at the carousel just getting the luggage off and gathered and then out to car service. Maybe I am just not asking the right questions for this type of assistance. :<)!

As I have some mobility issues myself I can say that the only thing you'll have to do is ask for assistance at the mobility services at each airport in advance. I have ( for example besides lots of other airports with similar experiences ) used Frankfurt and Newark: I Frankfurt an electric cart fetched us from the taxi stand , the lady helped with the luggage and checked it in at a special counter, brought us to the airline lounge for a much-needed cup of coffee and later on another electric cart brought us to the gate, whisking us through passport control and security lines. At the gate we had priority boarding and again didn't have to stand in a line.

Same then in Newark: somebody met us at the plane when we exited, insisted on putting me in a wheelchair ( which I needn't have had to use!) and the same thing happened: short line at passport control etc., we were brought to the carousel and our luggage was picked up and then that nice gentleman even took us to the shuttle train. In Newark we were able to tip accordingly, in Europe it is neither given nor expected. I'm absolutely sure the same procedure goes for Schiphol airport.

We have also booked a Prinsendam cruise out of Ijmuiden and booked the HAL transfer. We were told that somebody would meet us at the gate.

So I really do think you won't encounter any problems in regard to your luggage. In addition, if you pack as lightly as possible and make use of HAL's offer in regard to washing ( 20$-deal for a bag) you'll be fine.

We are planning to book a HA cruise on the Prinsendam in August 2016. We would like to ship our luggage from New Jersey to Imjuiden, Amsterdam, Netherlands and then have it shipped back home to NJ after the cruise. Has anyone done this? I have checked several web sites offering this service and Luggage Forward seems to offer the best service but it is soooooo expensive. Is it worth it? Pros and cons would be appreciated for any shipping services. What was you experience?

Ijmuiden

Everything written above is excellent advice. My one word is you really don't need to pack very much. HAL offers an excellent, low cost, they will do all your laundry for you at $9/day (in Europe) for the whole cruise. Three daytime outfits and three evening outfits (one for 'gala'), maybe a swimsuit, and you are all set

Wear your walking / leisure shoes, and pack just a pair of sandals and one pair for evenings. We are getting better at packing less.

We really enjoyed Prinsendam! Have a super cruise!

Everything written above is excellent advice. My one word is you really don't need to pack very much. HAL offers an excellent, low cost, they will do all your laundry for you at $9/day (in Europe) for the whole cruise. Three daytime outfits and three evening outfits (one for 'gala'), maybe a swimsuit, and you are all set

Wear your walking / leisure shoes, and pack just a pair of sandals and one pair for evenings. We are getting better at packing less.

We really enjoyed Prinsendam! Have a super cruise!

Yeah, yeah. . . it's better in theory than in practice! I sympathisize with OP. I am constitutionally incapable of packing light. One 25" and one small carryon is as light as I can get it.