Early Flight in Sydney

gizmo22

Trying to book a return flight from Sydney back to LAX on the same day we arrive in port. Latest flight leaves at 11:45am. Not sure we can make it in time even though RC claims the ship arrives in port at 6am.

When purchasing airport transfers through RC, they indicated 12:30pm is the earliest flight they can support.

RC rep suggested we do self-baggage and can get off as soon as customs clears the ship, but they still can't commit to a debarkation time (I get this because I know its controlled by Customs).

Just wondering if anyone has some recent experience on the timing of clearing Customs and getting to the SYD airport. Also -- what's the best way to get there -- taxi, train, etc?

Thanks,

Trying to book a return flight from Sydney back to LAX on the same day we arrive in port. Latest flight leaves at 11:45am. Not sure we can make it in time even though RC claims the ship arrives in port at 6am.

When purchasing airport transfers through RC, they indicated 12:30pm is the earliest flight they can support.

RC rep suggested we do self-baggage and can get off as soon as customs clears the ship, but they still can't commit to a debarkation time (I get this because I know its controlled by Customs).

Just wondering if anyone has some recent experience on the timing of clearing Customs and getting to the SYD airport. Also -- what's the best way to get there -- taxi, train, etc?

Thanks,

You need to first check in and check your bags, then you have an immigration stop followed by customs (last two might be reversed). And two security checks for most flights to and from the USA. Last time in SYD this took the better part of 2 1/2 hours. The easiest way to the airport is the light rail as you get off at the terminal.

Sydney airport can be VERY time consuming to get past all the steps. Also remember you need to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure or they can give your seat to another!

I wouldn't want to be concerned about or worry about making the flight. To me, that's no way to end a peaceful, restorative cruise. Could you stay overnight in Sydney? It's easy to take the train from Circular Quay, where the ship docks, to the airport, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through such as customs and (maybe) immigration before you even get to the train.

Bon voyage

Rather than rushing and worrying, book a night at the Holiday Inn in the Rocks (Holiday Inn, Old Sydney). It is a short walk from the pier, it is well located for a bit of sightseeing and then you can push on to LAX the next day. We stayed there in November for 3 nights before our cruise and were able to walk pretty much everywhere we wanted to go. Circular Quay, Opera House, transit center, lots of shopping.

Craig: Are you on a Celebrity or a Royal Caribbean (RC) ship? We've arrived into Sydney by ship three times, and each time the Celebrity ship docked at the OPT. I think I remember seeing a RC ship docked at the OPT, but does RC ever use the White Bay terminal?

If you have never visited Sydney I would also suggest that you stay for at least a day or two. We spent a full week in the city in 2011, and still had other Sydney attractions to visit when we returned in 2014.

We have taken a cab from the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay to the international airport for a departure in your time frame. I don't remember if it was a weekday or weekend, but traffic wasn't bad. We also have found both the international and domestic air terminals to be well signed and quick to navigate. But I would want to be inside that cab and on the move by 8:30 AM at the very, very latest.

If you are indeed docking at the OPT you would have to either walk or take a cab to the Circular Quay train station, and given your short time frame I would take a cab directly to the airport. I should also add that when we docked at the OPT in 2014 there was quite the shortage of cabs; this wasn't a problem for us as we were staying in Sydney for a few days before flying out to Uluru, but was a problem some passengers.

Sydney airports (both domestic and international) are currently experiencing major traffic delays as roadworks are underway to improve traffic flow. Not sure how long it is scheduled to continue for - when are you arriving in Sydney? As previous posters have mentioned, it will make a difference if you are docking at White Bay rather than OPT. Sydney traffic can be very unpredictable - if the weather is bad i.e. Rain, you can add an extra 1 hour to your journey! I've lived in Sydney for many years and speak from experience😛

We stayed in Sydney for one week after our trans Pacific cruise this past October . We decided to stay at the Sydney Boulevard Hotel (good deals on line ) which is in a great location & right where the HOHO bus pulls on on one of their stops . ;)

Reason why I mention the above is that if you can afford the time taking 2 days for the HOHO bus & a day for the tour bus to the blue Mountains is a great way to get to see the Sydney area . We also did the Harbor cruise to Manly Beach which was a wonderful experience .You need then 4 days . The concierge at the Sydney Boulevard hotel even made arrangements for a limo to take us to the airport at $35 Austalian .We had a 9 seat limo all to our selves .A real treat & no squeezing into a cab ..Our time in Sydney was both enlightening & restful :D

Taking the time in Sydney was well worth it . We had to take 3 airlines to get back to SD booking the trip home with air miles

We hope that you can take time to see some of the wonderful things Sydney has to offer :D

You will be totally fine making an 11:45 am flight.

UNLESS there are delays.... For instance we did not get through Port Customs this past Monday off of the RCL Serenade (Port Everglades) until a bit after 10:00AM and there were MANY still in line when we got out of there. Apparently, there was a medical emergency in the luggage area and that shut everything down for awhile. Then they only had THREE customs agents handling the entire ship. Of course after that, you have to get transportation to the airport, airport check-in, security and maybe immigration.

If we are flying, we ALWAYS stay in town after getting off the ship and fly back the next day. I do not want to deal with the grief and hassle of having to find a new flight if we miss ours.

Sounds like it's Royal Caribbean Ovation. In any case, all RCL and Celebrity ships operate from/via the OPT, so Circular Quay railway station is right beside the terminal.

Agree with the above. Working back, for an 1145 flight, you should check in by 945. If you allow say 45 minutes to get to the airport, that means you need to be at Circular Quay station by 9. This should be doable. Just have a fallback plan e.g. what if luggage is missing?

Thanks,

8 out of 10 you will make it.

Personally I'd spend a night in Sydney.

8 out of 10 you will make it.

Personally I'd spend a night in Sydney.

The 9th and 10th times you'll miss your flight. Not be able to get on another flight for a few days and pay a fortune to change flights and book a hotel.

I trust RCCL with their cautious approach to check-in times; they see tens of thousands of passengers a week so I too would skip the 11:45 flight. If you were selecting it due to booking with points, keep in mind that missing it might forfeit the points, or rebooking would cost you out of pocket, or some combination of the two.

Also, assume that despite some delay you make it to the airport just in time. I've been that person (domestically) and you arrive at the gate out of breath, sweating, and agitated. Now imagine that's you, with a 15 hour flight ahead. Yikes, no thanks!

Finally, you've flown halfway around the world to get there, would one more day really be so horrible?

Enjoy the cruise, I have not been to Australia yet!

You need to be at Sydney Airport three hours prior to international flights to be safe so would need to be there by 8:45. I would allow a minimum of 30mins to get there in a taxi and that's not allowing for peak hour morning traffic (that is unless you arrive in port on a Sunday) I have flown from Sydney to LAX a few times and often fly out later in the day than 11:45 so I would look at an alternate time with a different carrier or stay overnight. In fact if you haven't visited Sydney before stay a few days it's a fabulous city with lots to do

I would allow a minimum of 30mins to get there in a taxi and that's not allowing for peak hour morning traffic (that is unless you arrive in port on a Sunday)

Don't rely on the traffic being any better on a Sunday. Normally it takes us less than 30 minutes to get from out home to the airport but there have been occasions, including early (around 7am) on a Sunday morning when it's taken us well over an hour. Most of that time was spent in a traffic jam in the last few kms.

I'll also second staying an extra night in Sydney before flying home. Plus there have been occasions when ships have had delayed arrivals in port. With such an early flight there is no margin of error for any delays.

You need to be at Sydney Airport three hours prior to international flights to be safe so would need to be there by 8:45.

Flights open three hours in advance, but recommended check in is 2 hours, hence 9:45.

See http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/prepare/pre-flight-check-for-departures/travel-tips.aspx

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. Our group has decided to take this great advice and enjoy one additional in Sydney.

We arrive in Sydney 4 days in advance of our cruise and will be looking for some great attractions. We're purchasing the Opal pass for the public transportation and are now trying to come up with an itinerary for 8 active adults.

Can any of you suggest "must-see" attractions in Sydney?

Thanks,

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. Our group has decided to take this great advice and enjoy one additional in Sydney.

We arrive in Sydney 4 days in advance of our cruise and will be looking for some great attractions. We're purchasing the Opal pass for the public transportation and are now trying to come up with an itinerary for 8 active adults.

Thanks,

Just take the HOHO bus around the 2 routes & the Sydney Harbor tour . forget the Opal pass . Go to viator.com to book the HOHO bus & I remember that you can get a package with the Harbor cruise . Go to Manly & Manly beach one of the stops on the Harbor cruise & there is a stop for a great sea food restaurant .

You will save money at voator.com for the above tour . If you have 4 full days have the concierge in your hotel book you on the bus tour of the blue Mountains ;but ,do the HOHO bus & Harbor tour first .

You will not only save money ;but ,this is the best & easiest way to see Sydney . The Opera house is one of the HOHO bua stops

We did it all when we had a week in Sydney after our cruise & loved every minurte .not only easy but relaxing & informative :D

Thanks,

Harbour Bridge, either Bridge climb, or just walk across

Opera house

Ferry to Zoo and/or Manly

Trip to Bondi Beach

Botanic Gardens

Darling Harbour wildlife park aquarium museum madam Tausads wax works.

A visit to QVB for some retail therapy for the ladies and a look at a very nice old building

Wife insists I toss in a visit to Hyde Park Barracks for a bit of convict history.

We go to Sydney as often as we can get there, which isn't often enough (from CA). We always buy a 3-day public transportation pass which covers trains, buses, and ferries; there's a senior discount too. The senior discount seems to be offered only to Australian pensioners, but when we bought ours at Wynyard Station, the agent asked us if we were seniors and issued us the senior rate. However, this may be different now because of the Opal option.

No need to take a cruise to Manly, just hop on a ferry at Circular Quai, hop off in Manly, walk to the beach on the pedestrian street that goes straight from the ferry to the beach. We like the Manly Fish Cafe for seafood, but there are other choices as well.

Bon voyage