Carnival now giving Anniversary and Birthday gifts

ready2cruzagain

My husband and I cruised on the 01/02/16 Carnival Breeze sailing. My birthday is 01/01 and I've cruised during my birthday week many times, but this was the first time that I received birthday gifts from Carnival. A couple days into the cruise we came back to our stateroom to find a gift tin with two gifts cards inside. One was $10 to the Cherry on Top candy store and the other was a complimentary dinner for two to Cucina del Capitano. It was a pleasant surprise and we redeemed both of them. It came with a card that said "Happy Birthday Month" which made sense since we weren't onboard during my actual birthday.

One of our tablemate's birthday was on January 3rd and she said she also received 2 gift cards. Hers were different than mine as she received a $25 gift card to Bonsai Sushi and a 2 free tickets to the Thrill Theater.

what kind of stuff do they give out on a birthday?..i just added the special occasion to my booking

For my birthday on Triumph in February, I received 30.00 coupon for a shore excursion. It was only a 4 day cruise so only one stop and we already had something planned on our own. Did not use it but no biggie. Just appreciated the thought. :)

Per John...

What a few ships are doing to help promote areas like Ji Ji's on the Sunshine or the Spa on another ship is to send some, not all a promotional gift certificate with a discount or a specific promotion offer. It is not every ship and not every week and certainly not everyone who is celebrating a birthday or special ocassion. We also offer suite guests this when we can. It is random and again is really and honestly done to help promote a certain revenue area.

So, pretty much hit or miss ...

Everyone seems to keep missing this post!

RDPDGX has made a good point, already on this thread people are starting to expect it because they are not reading all the posts and seeing that this is not a standard thing. It will be hit or miss.

(Of course, I have to say that I have put in our anniversary for our cruise. Can't hurt, right? LOL)

A bad precedent set by Carnival. Now I can picture the lines getting even longer at Guest Services with people complaining that they did not receive anything.

Or complaining about what they got.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My husband and I were on the Glory on the March 5 sailing and my birthday was on March 10, I received a card for a free portrait. The steward also wrote a big happy birthday on my mirror for the day. Very nice of Carnival to do this.

It was our anniversary during our cruise on Inspiration, and we received a little envelope with multiple "gift cards" for different things. One of them was a free picture. I believe another one was $20 off a bottle of wine. There were at least four.

We used the free picture card and chucked the rest.

I called about a price drop on our cruise for our 25th anniversary a couple of years ago. The girl I talked to said she was giving us chocolate strawberries and champagne. I thought that was a nice touch and it was really appreciated. :)

A bad precedent set by Carnival. Now I can picture the lines getting even longer at Guest Services with people complaining that they did not receive anything.

I agree. Quite honestly they shouldn't do anything. On any given sailing I would guess a huge percentage of people are celebrating some type of special event.

And no matter what someone always feels they should complain about either not being the one given something for free or not liking what they got. It's quite sad actually. And it boggles my mind that people are so ungrateful when carnival gives something away for free.

If a small handful of people on any given cruise get something for free good for them. Carnival doesn't have to give anything away.

DW and I are taking our 1st cruise to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I am doing all I can to just get a table for 2 in the Truffles. We do not expect freebies. No guarantee of getting our wish. No good deed goes unpunished. If Carnival chooses to give something of value to whoever, they should not be required to be "nice" to everyone. Just my opinion. Not saying that opinion is superior to anyone else's.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

We wonder as well. I just filled out our online check-in yesterday and no where in the pages did it ask for special occasions. DH has a birthday in the month we sail so I would have noticed it if there was a question.:confused::confused:

I always let our PVP know of birthdays and anniversaries when I book and she notes it on our reservations and it shows up on booking info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually a nice gesture, but the problem is thinking it should cover the whole month for every occasion under the sun and never end. And it should be what I like or I should be able to exchange it. How about my sister in the cabin next door had to cancel her original birthday cruise to this new date, I wonder will they honor her original booking date and give her something. Or what do you do if you don't use the spa, or don't drink wine, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

If people could just accept what they get when and if they get it, that's one thing. But.....:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised the Glory 3 weeks ago, March 12 - 19th. We were celebrating our anniversary. My daughter surprised us by having our room decorated and having a chocolate cake delivered. The next day we received another chocolate cake with card stating it was from Alex with the culinary and dining team. Wow...those cakes were good! We took the smaller one to the dining room and shared with our table mates that night. The next day we received a very nice bouquet of flowers and a card from Guest Services. The next day we received a $25 gift card for a bottle of wine, one free picture, a $50 dollar spa certificate and 2 free dinners in the Steak House with a complimentary glass of champagne. This was our first cruise with Carnival and we were appreciative of all the gifts.

Just off the Breeze a couple of weeks ago. My DIL received a 25 dollar certificate towards a bottle of wine (she doesn't drink) and my DBF received a 50 dollar certificate to the spa (he doesn't do spas). Guess who benefited from and was very appreciative of both of these gifts from Carnival 😀😀😀

I believe they give various gift vouchers (varies by ship,and sailing) to the cabin stewards to give out to people, so I believe it is at their discretion... They get notified when people are celebrating things... So,that is why it is hit or miss. One of our room stewards saw the wine we brought on and that we asked for wine glasses and figured we would appreciate the $25 certificate... Nice touch

We will be celebrating our honeymoon on the Conquest in June. I don't expect anything but when we booked the rep did ask us if we were celebrating anything and it does show on our booking. I'll definitely be sure to update with anything.

I believe they give various gift vouchers (varies by ship,and sailing) to the cabin stewards to give out to people, so I believe it is at their discretion... They get notified when people are celebrating things... So,that is why it is hit or miss. One of our room stewards saw the wine we brought on and that we asked for wine glasses and figured we would appreciate the $25 certificate... Nice touch

This has been my observation as well. On our past couple of cruises, at least one cabin in our group received gift cards of various type from their stateroom steward. In at least a couple of instances, it did not correspond with either a birthday or anniversary celebration.