Royal Regular Retreats to NCL - Feb. 20, 2016 "Live" ESCAPE Review

Yorkvillain

Thanks for the review. I'm getting fired up for our cruise on the Spirit in three weeks.

If you want to try the Divina, the BOGO balcony deal is awesome! We are trying the Divina out on a B2B in June! I can hardly wait for that one either!

Your comments made me curious so I looked up MSC. What type of category would the cruise line fall under? Premium, Mass market , or Luxury?

Yorkvillain-

I know many others have said it, but thank you so much for allowing us at home to cruise with you last week. I feel disappointed that your cruise is over!

I was aboard the Oasis a mere few weeks ago and also had the torture of sitting at FLL watching the ship for hours (we had a 7:15 pm departure - the ship left before we did).

I know you have cruised many RCI ships so after the Escape I have to know: will you cruise NCL again and why/why not?

Hope to virtually cruise with you on your next cruises!

Jill

Yorkvillain-

I know many others have said it, but thank you so much for allowing us at home to cruise with you last week. I feel disappointed that your cruise is over!

I was aboard the Oasis a mere few weeks ago and also had the torture of sitting at FLL watching the ship for hours (we had a 7:15 pm departure - the ship left before we did).

I know you have cruised many RCI ships so after the Escape I have to know: will you cruise NCL again and why/why not?

Hope to virtually cruise with you on your next cruises!

Jill

Thanks for following. I will definitely cruise on NCL again. I have never had a bad cruise on on NCL. The Escape is a fantastic ship with so much to offer.

Your comments made me curious so I looked up MSC. What type of category would the cruise line fall under? Premium, Mass market , or Luxury?

Mass Market, like NCL, Royal Carribean, Carnival.

They have a NCL Haven like "ship in a ship" area though.

Mass market.......defiantly have some cool stuff on the horizon. MSC Seaside looks super neat.

Web site is worst than NCL

Mass market.......defiantly have some cool stuff on the horizon. MSC Seaside looks super neat.

Web site is worst than NCL

From what I can tell MSC is based in Europe and therefore they are skewed a little more that way. That is to say, their dining has more of a European feel, so some may not like it. That is all second hand to me.

We had some folks from our 3/19 sailing drop off Escape and go to MSC Divina as it is cheaper for them. Looks like it could be worth trying in the future.

From what I can tell MSC is based in Europe and therefore they are skewed a little more that way. That is to say, their dining has more of a European feel, so some may not like it. That is all second hand to me.

We had some folks from our 3/19 sailing drop off Escape and go to MSC Divina as it is cheaper for them. Looks like it could be worth trying in the future.

Apparently MSC is trying to adapt to "American dining expectations". I saw a YouTube video walkthrough, and the commentator got a kick out of their recent attempts at the buffet. He said that since his last MSC sailing they switched to "heavy on the burgers, fries and pizza", and it was humorously true from what he was showing.

I was fairly interested in giving them a try. After watching the YouTube video, my enthusiasm waned a little (mostly personal taste preferences). But it'll be interesting to see what they introduce with their new ships heading our way.

SOME FINAL THOUGHTS

We had a fantastic time and I would absolutely love to sail the Escape again one day. I guess it is a sign that you are having a great time when you don’t go to the gym once all week (either that or I'm just a lazy SOB). I have no complaints about the food, staff, activities, entertainment or stateroom. My favorites parts of the ship are the Grotto, the Waterfront (especially the 5 O’Clock Somewhere Bar) and the waterslides.

If I have to nit pick I would say the negatives are the cluttered pool deck, the wifi kicking me off constantly and the movement of the ship. However, none on these negatives will prevent me from cruising the Escape again.

Long wait times at the bars? Ship too smokey? I never experienced either of these. This is one great ship. Well done NCL.

Thanks for following along and thanks for all the nice comments.

Tim

THE END

19eb709b39b89ff6da3cc69a22a19075.jpg

Edited by Yorkvillain

Tim, thanks for the ending.;) If forced to pick, I'd much rather see that picture than the equivalent photo for the beginning of the review.:eek:

Your feed back on the ship was an interesting perspective. Was it actually wavy or did the ship just ride not as smooth as you would have thought? Do you think the extra width in the Oasis Class makes the difference? I would have been disappointed with the wifi as well, especially knowing how new the ship is. Being unable to log in would have been frustrating too.

Thanks for taking us on your cruise. I can't wait to "sail" with you again.

Andrew

Edit: was it a coincidence that you were home the day before the trade deadline?

Edited by A&L_Ont

Tim, thanks for the ending.;) If forced to pick, I'd much rather see that picture than the equivalent photo for the beginning of the review.:eek:

Your feed back on the ship was an interesting perspective. Was it actually wavy or did the ship just ride not as smooth as you would have thought? Do you think the extra width in the Oasis Class makes the difference? I would have been disappointed with the wifi as well, especially knowing how new the ship is. Being unable to log in would have been frustrating too.

Thanks for taking us on your cruise. I can't wait to "sail" with you again.

Andrew

Edit: was it a coincidence that you were home the day before the trade deadline?

Ha, it was a coincidence.

I'm not sure if it was the ship or that the water was rougher than normal but it seemed to have a slight rocking motion. That seemed odd for a ship out of Miami. I would expect that for a ship out of New York in the winter but not for a ship out of Miami.

The Oasis has always been the smoothest ride for us. Good question though. That might be a good question for chengkp75.

Edited by Yorkvillain

If I have to nit pick I would say the negatives are the cluttered pool deck, the wifi kicking me off constantly and the movement of the ship. However, none on these negatives will prevent me from cruising the Escape again.

Loved the review, thanks for doing it. Would the quality of the wifi cause you to not purchase it next time? I am thinking of doing a live posting in 2 weeks, but still not sure if I want to spend the money on internet.

Loved the review, thanks for doing it. Would the quality of the wifi cause you to not purchase it next time? I am thinking of doing a live posting in 2 weeks, but still not sure if I want to spend the money on internet.

I think I would buy it again. It was a little annoying but not the worst thing in the world.

Who knows, maybe it will be fixed by the time you board the ship!

Edited by Yorkvillain

So so much fun- thank you for sharing your trip with us!!!!

Sailing on the Escape 3/26- Have not been on a cruise in over 10 years so very excited after reading The Dougout and YorkVillain. CamaCama is next on the list. Thanks to all for the drink and bar suggestions- looking forward to finding Bong, Beau and drinking a Bob Marley. Sailing with another family and we've already started using WWDD. You set a high bar!!!

I wouldn't attempt to do a live review- could not even come close to Doug and YV. You guys are awesome- glad you enjoyed your trips!!

Who's on the escape this week????? I need some posts!!!!

So so much fun- thank you for sharing your trip with us!!!!

Sailing on the Escape 3/26- Have not been on a cruise in over 10 years so very excited after reading The Dougout and YorkVillain. CamaCama is next on the list. Thanks to all for the drink and bar suggestions- looking forward to finding Bong, Beau and drinking a Bob Marley. Sailing with another family and we've already started using WWDD. You set a high bar!!!

I wouldn't attempt to do a live review- could not even come close to Doug and YV. You guys are awesome- glad you enjoyed your trips!!

Who's on the escape this week????? I need some posts!!!!

Thanks. Yes definitely read CamaCama's review next. And when you are done with that one, read jmele999's great review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2307048

When you are done with that one, read Doug's again. :)

Your review rocked!!!👍👍👍 I just have 1 more question before I let you get back to the boring life of not cruising. .... I read that margaritaville does no accept the UBP and was wondering if 5 o'clock somewhere does? Thanks again for the great trip you took all of us on, it was a lot of fun😊

Edited by Rat56

Your review rocked!!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I just have 1 more question before I let you get back to the boring life of not cruising. .... I read that margaritaville does no accept the UBP and was wondering if 5 o'clock somewhere does? Thanks again for the great trip you took all of us on, it was a lot of fun[emoji4]

Thank you. Both Margaritaville and 5 o'clock somewhere bar accept the UBP. Cheers!