More Clothes vs Laundry

Thranduilien

So I'm going on a 14day HAL cruise to Alaska. I've been really trying to figure out if I should try to pack for 14 days, or pack for 7 and then do laundry half way through.

I have no problem wearing clothes for multiple days but considering this is Alaska and everyone says layering is necessary, it seems like it could end up being a lot of clothes.

If I wear a pair of jeans for 3 or 4 days that is still 4 or 5 pairs of jeans. Not to mention something for the dressier nights, the pajamas, the sweaters and the other shirts. It just seems like a lot to bring, but I'm also uncertain if I would want to shell out the $30 for one load of laundry, since the Noordam does not have self serve laundry. (I've heard the laundry is anywhere from $20 - $29 based on where you cruise to)

What would ya'll do? And hell, how big are the laundry bags anyway, I've no idea how many clothes could actually be crammed in there.

So I'm going on a 14day HAL cruise to Alaska. I've been really trying to figure out if I should try to pack for 14 days, or pack for 7 and then do laundry half way through.

I have no problem wearing clothes for multiple days but considering this is Alaska and everyone says layering is necessary, it seems like it could end up being a lot of clothes.

If I wear a pair of jeans for 3 or 4 days that is still 4 or 5 pairs of jeans. Not to mention something for the dressier nights, the pajamas, the sweaters and the other shirts. It just seems like a lot to bring, but I'm also uncertain if I would want to shell out the $30 for one load of laundry, since the Noordam does not have self serve laundry. (I've heard the laundry is anywhere from $20 - $29 based on where you cruise to)

What would ya'll do? And hell, how big are the laundry bags anyway, I've no idea how many clothes could actually be crammed in there.

If your flying, laundry might be more economical.

If driving to embarkation Port take extra.

HAL has a laundry package that for a set amount per day, you can send out laundry as often as needed. For everyone in the cabin. Paying that for me would be worth not having to schlep a big suitcase. If you ask on the HAL board here I'm sure someone can give you the exact cost. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

The key for Alaska it to layer your clothing when outside and to prepare for a wide range of weather. This includes a hat, scarf, gloves, water proof jacket with hood, and other items to layer on or off.

On longer cruises to minimize luggage if the ship offers laundry facilities I would take advantage of it.

Keith

HAL has a laundry package for $7/d/stateroom, $98 for your 14-day cruise, or a single bag for $20. You can also pay by the piece. The laundry bag can hold more than a days clothing for two people.

We pack for four days and send laundry (put the filled bag on the bed before going to dinner and the Room Stewards deliver it to the laundry) every evening. It is returned folded and on hangers the next morning.

Alaska is layered-clothing cruising. There are many ways to mix and match outfits. Since you will probably never see any of your fellow passengers again, don't feel that you need to impress anyone.

The key for Alaska it to layer your clothing when outside and to prepare for a wide range of weather. This includes a hat, scarf, gloves, water proof jacket with hood, and other items to layer on or off.

On longer cruises to minimize luggage if the ship offers laundry facilities I would take advantage of it.

Keith

And, take a back pack. It is real handy to carry your stuff as you take off and put back on during the day.

Bob

Keith

This is the best advice, it worked for us. We wash our smalls and such as we go in the shower or basin but the larger items get laundered.:D

If I wear a pair of jeans for 3 or 4 days that is still 4 or 5 pairs of jeans.

LAWKS! What on earth are you planning on doing to get so filthy?! :eek:

Leaving aside the fact that denim is never / almost never meant to be laundered, jeans are designed to be hard wearing - certainly not discarded after three days! For a fortnight cruise, two pairs of daytime trousers and one or two smart pairs for evening plus whatever you wear to walk on the ship should do. Unless your planning on going bog snorkelling or mud sliding I cant see the need for five pairs of jeans. Frankly I can't see the need for you to do ANY laundry on board - underwear can be handwashed in your cabin (look for a little clothes drying line over your bath tub) and the rest of your clothes laundered when you get home, for free. We went to Alaska in late October and the weather was not as extreme as I was expecting - light layers to add / remove are the key.

Don't be afraid to re-wear your clothes, no-one will notice if you wear the same evening dress in week two as you did in week one - too busy thinking about themselves.

Golden rule of cruising - take twice the money you think you'll need, and half the clothes (and even then you will still probably not wear all of them.) :)

Bring plenty of panties! I did not bring enough! You will probably shower before shore excursion and then again after. May need 2 pair some days!

Throw a pack of pantyliners in your luggage as well - helps keep you fresh and comfortable while your hiking about all day! :)

Golden rule of cruising - take twice the money you think you'll need, and half the clothes (and even then you will still probably not wear all of them.) :)

Having been on nearly fifty cruises, I can say these are words of wisdom to live by as you cruise and plan for cruises. Thank you for posting that rule.