Glacier Bay v. Tracy Arm Fjord

skiwhe

We are booked for a friends and family cruise in May aboard the Celebrity Solstice. This itinerary visits the Tracy Arm Fjord which we hear is an awesome experience. This will be our second cruise to Alaska, with our first cruise in 2011 aboard a repositioning itinerary on the Norwegian Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver. Part of the reason for the return is that we felt we missed out on some things (no glacier bay or Tracy Arm). Now I'm starting to look at the land and sea tours through Denali and glacier bay.

So, for those who have great experience with Alaska touring, can you give us your opinion on the following (assume money is not the determining factor, but rather overall experience):

1. Glacier Bay v. Tracy Arm Fjord

2. Land and Sea v. Sea only

3. One way or round trip cruise

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by skiwhe

I have seen more people say Glacier Bay is better than Tracy Arms

2. If you have the time and money; the extended cruise/land excursion is the way to go

3. If you do a land portion you won't be doing round trip.

** somebody else will have more info than me.

Edited by AF-1

Thoughts....

• If you want to see a glaciers.... go to Glacier Bay
  • If you want to see wildlife, trees, water, with glacier extinction.... go to Tracy Arm
  • If you can't decide.... look for a Glacier Bay itinerary that offers a mid-ship excursion to Tracy Arm for a half day en route to Juneau (HAL and Princess offer this)
  • If you want to see ice congestion and miss Sawyer..... go to Tracy Arm early in the season.... like May.
  • another vote for Glacier Bay

[YOUTUBE]9ln2wYbk6xY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OMzReVZn__M[/YOUTUBE]

We are booked for a friends and family cruise in May aboard the Celebrity Solstice. This itinerary visits the Tracy Arm Fjord which we hear is an awesome experience. This will be our second cruise to Alaska, with our first cruise in 2011 aboard a repositioning itinerary on the Norwegian Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver. Part of the reason for the return is that we felt we missed out on some things (no glacier bay or Tracy Arm). Now I'm starting to look at the land and sea tours through Denali and glacier bay.

So, for those who have great experience with Alaska touring, can you give us your opinion on the following (assume money is not the determining factor, but rather overall experience):

1. Glacier Bay v. Tracy Arm Fjord Glacier Bay in May or June otherwise Tracy arm

2. Land and Sea v. Sea only Land and Sea if your have time

3. One way or round trip cruise Round trip from Vancouver(14 days) if you don't want to do a land tour.

Thanks!

See my replies in red

Thanks!

I find each glacier area, offers excellent touring. But with Tracy Arm- it is "necessary" to purchase the add on Tracy Arm tour. Also going in May, isn't a time to consider- if you want more assurance of getting there.

Glacier Bay- everyone on cruise ships will see at least 4 glaciers. (a lot of people miss them :) ) A park ranger comes on board and narrates, along with Alaska Geographic. Offers a program and is available for visitor contact. It does require a large investment of time, frankly- again, which most people don't allow for, a full day of successful wildlife opportunities.

As for the land travel, of course that is "better", seeing more is a big positive of going one way. however, I'm of firm thinking, that TIME is your best friend, go for as long as you can afford. I never recommend less than a week, which a lot underestimate time and distances. The DETAILS are essential, for those on this board. It's usually a mistake to blindly pick a "package", then come on this board looking for "suggestions", only to find out your assumptions are inaccurate. :) Make the right decisions to begin with, with stepping back and finding out the various Alaska options, first. There isn't "one" selection- but multiple.

Having been to both Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm, I whole heartedly recommend a Glacier Bay sailing. (I would not choose a Tracy Arm only cruise.)

If your ship offers it, take the Tracy Arm excursion.

I don't have an opinion on the land portion. (That is not important to me. Is it to you?)

I prefer round-trip cruises - again is that important to you?

Edited by TheCalicoCat

1. Glacier Bay v. Tracy Arm Fjord - We prefer Tracy Arm

2. Land and Sea v. Sea only - If you aren't going to do land only then do land and sea and take at least 16 - 18 days.

3. One way or round trip cruise - We prefer one way south bound.

Thanks!

After a couple of trips we find that the typical ports are stale so we have started doing land only visits to AK.

If you haven't been to Glacier Bay, I would highly recommend it.

Sadly you will not get there on Celebrity or any RCL owned cruise line. Entry permits are required and they have none.

Princess

Hal

Norwejian (limited)

Carnival (limited)

have the necessary permits, but not all ships on all sailings. So you need to choose carefully.

One way cruises with a land portion are definitely superior to round trip Seattle itineraries. (provided you have the time to spend doing them)

Sadly you will not get there on Celebrity or any RCL owned cruise line. Entry permits are required and they have none.

Princess

Hal

Norwejian (limited)

Carnival (limited)

have the necessary permits, but not all ships on all sailings. So you need to choose carefully.

One way cruises with a land portion are definitely superior to round trip Seattle itineraries. (provided you have the time to spend doing them)

All the Princess Cruises that go to Whittier enter Glacier Bay in both directions.

Princess

Hal

Norwejian (limited)

Carnival (limited)

I would not label NCL, as "limited", they have 2 ships that do Glacier Bay all season. the "limited" goes for Carnival, which only goes there beginning and end of season.

We're going through Tracy Arm on May 18 this year via Carnival Legend. We have reservations for the small(er) boat Tracy Arm excursion.

What is reasonable to expect at Tracy Arm at that time of the season?

I'm interested in the mix of wildlife, scenery, and the glacier.

You might not be able to get close to the glacier in May.

Thanks!

1. I preferred Tracy Arm Fjord. But you need the small boat excursion. If you can't do that, then Glacier Bay.

2. Land and Sea, for sure. I would do a land only trip, before I would do a sea only.

3. Either one. No preference for me. We added on a land tour with both our one-way and our round trip cruise. Both land tours were pre-cruise. We simply added a flight for the round trip cruise.

The main issue I have with Tracy Arm is that due to conditions, it can easily be missed, even on the small boat. I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and missed it all 4x (2x in a small boat). This is not uncommon.

If you are on your first cruise to Alaska, it is very disappointing to miss your only glacier. Glacier Bay is never missed.

We're going through Tracy Arm on May 18 this year via Carnival Legend. We have reservations for the small(er) boat Tracy Arm excursion.

What is reasonable to expect at Tracy Arm at that time of the season?

I'm interested in the mix of wildlife, scenery, and the glacier.

the key for wildlife- is a good pair of wide angle binoculars and TIME. Meaning, you have a significant opportunity from dawn to dusk that day.

You can't have "expectations", for, either wildlife or glacier, sorry. Scenery is nonstop the entire day.

Edited by Budget Queen

My 2cents

Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm, lets be serious, one was designated a National Park, the other is because every sailing can't do Glacier.

One way versus round trip, One way, you get another day in Alaska for scenic, what is not to like about that, but of course you got to fly back!

Got money and more time, no brainer cruise + land.

For a first cruise I'd say Glacier Bay. It is a beautiful day and you will see several glaciers.

That said IF you can get close in a small boat tour IMHO I like the Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm better. To me it is overall much bluer in color and far more active for calving. In a small boat you have a good chance to see wildlife (my last two trips with Adventure Bound we stopped along side several bears on the shoreline) get close to the waterfalls and generally have a totally different experience when you are at water level rather than 10+ decks above the water.

For a first cruise I'd say Glacier Bay. It is a beautiful day and you will see several glaciers.

That said IF you can get close in a small boat tour IMHO I like the Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm better. To me it is overall much bluer in color and far more active for calving. In a small boat you have a good chance to see wildlife (my last two trips with Adventure Bound we stopped along side several bears on the shoreline) get close to the waterfalls and generally have a totally different experience when you are at water level rather than 10+ decks above the water.

Remember though that Tracy Arm is frequently missed, it can even happen in a small boat (remember). For a first cruise - Glacier Bay.

Edited by Coral

My first Alaskan cruise we flew LAX to Anchorage and a 3 hour bus ride to Seward and immediately onto the ship for the cruise South. We loved the old HAL Noordam. She was a small ship. We went to Glacier Bay, Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Almost 10 years later we decided we wanted to see more of interior Alaska and I started looking at RVs. My husband's sister and a male friend from work asked to join us. The male friend announced he slept in the nude, so switched game plan to car rental with hotels. The costs added up and hubby didn't really want to drive. So changed game plan again and started looking at cruisetours.

In my head, the Yukon seems to go with Alaska, so I looked for cruisetours that included both. I settled on a 3 day Northbound cruise with 8 days on land with HAL that went to Tracy Arm. Princess offered 7 day cruise + 7 days on land for double the cost of HAL.

Head to your library and check out Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska. See what it is you really want to see and do. I start a graph chart, putting the various cruiselines/ships across the top, then the things of importance to me (size of ship, ports, time in ports, cabin, cost, etc) down the side. As you research, put an "X" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research, one should have more X's than the others.

Two years ago I had booked the 14 day round-trip out of Seattle (again on HAL), but my husband had a stroke, so I had to cancel. I think our cruising/travelling days are over. Neither of us are in the best of health and I don't think we could handle our luggage or airports or cruising.

Plan your trip for as long as you can afford to go. The more time you have, the more you will see. Only you can decide which works for you. Have fun planning then taking your trip to Alaska! It is an awesome destination!