which night for specialty dining

scoob

We booked Emerald and as part of our package we get one speciality dinner per person. But, it has to be on day 1. Which dining venue would you guys recommend. We have never sailed Peincess and Emerald. Thanks

Does this mean you get a choice of SHARE or Crown Grill? The food in CG is always the best.

We booked Emerald and as part of our package we get one speciality dinner per person. But, it has to be on day 1. Which dining venue would you guys recommend. We have never sailed Peincess and Emerald. Thanks

You'll have the choice of SHARE or Crown Grill. While you might find SHARE attractive, most would prefer Crown Grill (steak house). Suggest you review the dining page on Princess website and examine the menus posted there as well as the videos. Also strongly suggest, you go directly to the restaurant of your choice once you board and try to make reservations. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to the restaurant and make your reservations. Then you can have lunch or go to your cabin.

We've dined in Sabatini's three times. There was always a steak on the menu. The menu on the website also shows a 10 oz strip steak.

The lobster tail was not on the menu whenever I have dinned there. thats what I was referring to.

The lobster tail was not on the menu whenever I have dinned there. thats what I was referring to.

They do have lobster on the menu at Sab's, but it's not the same tail as in CG. It's "Lobster Three Ways," and I avoid it like the plague.

I am glad to hear specific mention of the last nights menu on most cruises.

A specialty restaurant might be a good way to have a nice ending to a cruise.

Does the first nights menu usually have the prime rib?

Yes, the first night has prime rib but it's not to my liking. It is usually over cooked and the meat is needled significantly. Luckily there are other options. There are always some available every night items which are medalions of beef and a chicken dish and some other main entree. Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail are always available too.

Can you not make reservations online prior to boarding? On Rccl you can do this. Since I haven't sailed princess; do not know all the rules.

You cannot make reservations in advance on Princess.

If I recall correctly on RCCL you have to prepay when reserving before the cruise? I do remember there was a fee for canceling within about 24 hours of the reservation time.

Just like RCCL requiring prepayment for tours, I much prefer the Princess system...reserve & pay onboard. That allows us to use OBC to pay for tours & restaurants. By reserving when boarding the ship (at the restaurant or calling the DINE line) we always get our reservations. Many times we can make reservations later during the cruise but sometimes not for early seating times.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The final night's menu is my least favorite. I'm also tired of parading waiters. We did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on our last cruise that night. (But I don't recommend doing that either, since we much preferred doing the UBD earlier in the cruise so we could enjoy the flowers and the extra food.)

Shredie and. Astro Flyer, thank you for your feedback. We have choice of share and crown grill. Probably will go with crown grill. By staying in a suite can concierge make my speciality dining reservations? So if I want to eat in crown grill on day 1, can I email concierge on ship and have them make my reservation, or is this not allowed? Sorry to ask so. Many questions. On both Rccl and NCL suite guests can have concierge make all reservations. For dining and shore excursions.

Edited by AF-1

By staying in a suite can concierge make my speciality dining reservations? So if I want to eat in crown grill on day 1, can I email concierge on ship and have them make my reservation, or is this not allowed? Sorry to ask so. Many questions. On both Rccl and NCL suite guests can have concierge make all reservations. For dining and shore excursions.

There is no concierge on Emerald Princess. Only on Royal and Regal Princess. If you don't make your first night reservations (by either calling the Dine Line or visiting the reservation table) right away upon boarding you should receive a phone call that afternoon in your suite from the Dine Line offering to make said reservation for you.

Edited by fishywood

On my first Princess cruise in a few weeks and wondering when would we see the dining room menus? Are they provided daily? will we see them at one time for the week? We are also trying to determine the best night to hit the Crown Grill. Thanks

On my first Princess cruise in a few weeks and wondering when would we see the dining room menus? Are they provided daily? will we see them at one time for the week? We are also trying to determine the best night to hit the Crown Grill. Thanks

The menu's are posted daily outside the dining room. The last night of any Princess cruise I find the worst meal, meatloaf and turkey and other foods I don't think of when cruising so that's a good night to go to specialty.

We commonly go on the first and last night of a cruise. We always select the Crown Grill, as my husband is not a fan of Italian food.

Just like us! :)

Although when a free specialty dinner was included in some promotions (plus have read also for suite passengers), I found it was more difficult to get a CG reservation but not a problem at Sabatini's on the first night. Then we'll go to the CG on the last night to get an early start to our evening & after so much great food & vino we can get to bed early.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The menu's are posted daily outside the dining room. The last night of any Princess cruise I find the worst meal, meatloaf and turkey and other foods I don't think of when cruising so that's a good night to go to specialty.

The last night is American night, so that's why the American dishes on the menu. It's also the night of the baked Alaska parade, which is corny but still fun. IMO. The waitstaff is dressed in red, white and blue.