Is 32 too young to sail on Oceania?

morpheus4356

My 30+ old kids would love to cruise on Oceania. They have stressful jobs and like to relax on the ship, do some zip lining etc. off the ship. Unfortunately, Oceania is out of their budget range right now. Too many other commitments in their lives.

Believe it or not, Oceania was the best deal available for us when we considered how many extras they throw in. Free airfare, free excursions, free specialty restaurants, free unlimited internet package, included port fees, we even managed to get our gratuities thrown in! Also I hear that their verandah cabins are ridiculously large compared to most cruise ship staterooms.

I am super excited about our cruise on May 5th. :)

Believe it or not, Oceania was the best deal available for us when we considered how many extras they throw in. Free airfare, free excursions, free specialty restaurants, free unlimited internet package, included port fees, we even managed to get our gratuities thrown in! Also I hear that their verandah cabins are ridiculously large compared to most cruise ship staterooms.

My wife and I have been on 4 Oceania cruises and we're in our 40's. Did a mass market cruise over thanksgiving with family and friends. Never ever, I mean never again.... Yes, the entertainment is lacking but we cruise O for the food, service, midsize ships and port extensive itineraries (not the entertainment).

Have fun!

Also I hear that their verandah cabins are ridiculously large compared to most cruise ship staterooms.

Only the extended balconies on deck 7

You may be disappointed if you do not have one of those ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Our daughter who is 31 cruised with us in nov for 25 days. She made friends everywhere she went on the ship. One in particular she kept referring to as her friend, and I asked her how old her friend was, the response was "your age". She loved her cruise and can't wait to go again.

If you only look at people's age for making friends you may miss an opportunity to meet some nice people

Your daughter sounds like she figured that out ;)

We have friends 20-25 our junior we enjoy getting together with them & have many common interests

Age is just a number ;)

Edited by LHT28

Greetings, Morpheus4356. Since you are financially imbedded in your cruise already, you will be on it. My husband and I are cruise veterans, and I began my life on the water around age six. living on a cruiser in the summers. Life aboard any vessel is easiest for water lovers at any age. The water is fascinating just because it is there. Add gorgeous surroundings, great food and drink, interesting people. What's not to like?

Oceania features port intensive itineraries. We are senior citizens, and we have younger friends. On a Baltic cruise, after the fifth port, we were all equally exhausted. If you and your companion are happy together, all the rest will fall into place.

We were once on a cruise when the ship had a fire. Everyone on board was evacuated to a hotel in Tsingtao, China. During our days there, we became a rather close knit group. Age distinctions disappeared. The following summer many of us sailed on the same ship at the same time. It was like returning to camp, regardless of age. No fire that time.

Have a great cruise. Bon voyage!

Mary

My daughter, age 25 at the time, sailed with me summer before last and was perfectly comfortable. She kept getting "adopted" by passengers in my age bracket and older and I am in my late 60's.

I think you'll have a wonderful time. It's all up to you.

We are in our mid-forties, and on our first Oceania cruise last October we were nicknamed "the kids" by a number of our fellow passengers. That being said we had a fantastic time! Ours was an active European itinerary, and we found the ship full of very youthful, active passengers, so age really didn't matter. Go and have a great time!

Edited by We're The Groupnors

We found the same thing--we can cruise Oceania for about the same as RC, and for a balcony cabin, Oceania' is almost 100 sq ft larger.

The larger cabins are only on the O class ships. The R class has very small cabins.

I hadn't thought about any difference in cabin sizes between the O and the R, so I looked up the square footage of veranda cabins on a couple of the R ships. Assuming there's no difference between the regular veranda and concierge veranda, I was surprised to learn that even those cabins are larger than what we had on RC when we sailed in a balcony cabin. Plus there's the benefit of the much smaller ship on O.

When we sailed on RC's Oasis of the Seas we were in a suite, and decided we'd never do a large ship like that without booking a suite because the lines for everything were ridiculous--it was great to show the suite card and be able to go to the front. Only thing suite passengers had to wait for was the elevators, but we're stairs people anyway :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well last summer my son married and for their honeymoon the went with Oceania Venice - Barcelona. He 40 and his wife 30 years. They enjoyed this voyage, certainly they like to travel of discovering destinations. They like good food. They enjoyed the voyage fully! :):):)

It will be port intensive so getting back to the ship you may appreciate a nice meal & quiet evening before hitting the port the next day to start again

We have had some 20 somethings up to 80 somethings on our cruises

most people are friendly & nice to chat with ...there are always a few curmudgeons onboard but you can avoid them ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Don't worry about it. You will meet many nice people on Oceania even if they may be a bit older than you, or not. Go for it and you will have a wonderful time. :):):)

Don't worry about it. You will meet many nice people on Oceania even if they may be a bit older than you, or not. Go for it and you will have a wonderful time. :):):)

I am not worried about it

I am one of the old folks

Do you actually read the post before you quote someone to reply to???

Edited by LHT28

It will be port intensive so getting back to the ship you may appreciate a nice meal & quiet evening before hitting the port the next day to start again

We have had some 20 somethings up to 80 somethings on our cruises

most people are friendly & nice to chat with ...there are always a few curmudgeons onboard but you can avoid them ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I read your post before responding. Are you one of those curmudgeons you are talking about? Almost sounds like it, but I am not sure. Let us know. Be nice to see more younger people on the ships.

Edited by RJB

I read your post before responding. Are you one of those curmudgeons you are talking about? Almost sounds like it, but I am not sure. Let us know. Be nice to see more younger people on the ships.

I am not sure why you would respond to my post & telling me not to worry about some people being older :confused:

Originally Posted by RJB viewpost.gif

It is not like it is my first time on Oceania :rolleyes:

I am not sure why you would respond to my post & telling me not to worry about some people being older :confused:

[/i]

It is not like it is my first time on Oceania :rolleyes:

I guess this is getting very mixed up as I was responding to the 32 year old and not you. Lets get past this. Next question.

I guess this is getting very mixed up

Yes i think you are getting confused

see post #38

Maybe do not use the quote feature in the future ;)

Edited by LHT28

• 2 weeks later...
Hola,

Me again (previous poster).

The biggest thing, and what I missed stating in my previous post, is that we are entering their territory. This for me, is a great thing! When I vacation, I want to lounge around, read a good book, drink a nice glass of wine over a delicious dinner. I have never wanted loud music, party games, boisterous groups, etc and have found a group of travellers on cruise lines like O and Azamara that like to travel similarly to me. If this is you too, you will fit right in.

I'm not sure why previous posters have said you've made a mistake or that you should look elsewhere. I can assure them I have not make a mistake booking my37 year old self on an O cruise this summer :)

I agree with Playa 100%. Class knows no age. Are you interested in fascinating and out-of-the-way ports, walking tours, excellent food and relaxing by a calm and quiet pool? Or do you just want to hit the drinking clubs 10 steps away from the docks and do the Macarena by the pool buffet with lots of kids splashing down the slide next to you?

....is yes.

You are too young to sail on Oceania. The average age is 20 years your senior at least, & there is no nightly entertainment that's likely to appeal to you very much.

That said...the ships are nice & the food is passable. The same could be said of Windstar - a much better choice for you.

Good luck!

....is yes.

You are too young to sail on Oceania. The average age is 20 years your senior at least, & there is no nightly entertainment that's likely to appeal to you very much.

That said...the ships are nice & the food is passable. The same could be said of Windstar - a much better choice for you.

Good luck!

Agree, at 46 i found the ship to be very boring, and not that I require a conga line through the dining room. Limited to no poolside music, no disco (they handed us an ipad in Horizons), a very boring cruise. Good food and lovely ship, if thats enough, then you'll be fine

When I think about this question I'm reminded of my dear parents in law, who often hosted us at their country club on Friday evenings. My husband told me that his father frequently told him that "there are a number of couples there your age!" And when it came time to pointing out the actual couples we were 40 & those couples were 60....

BUT it was so sweet of my father in law to want us to be with him (& how I'd love to spend a Friday evening at the DuPont Country Club with him now as he's no longer with us) & that's how I interpret the responses of many on this board. Oceania is like a floating Over 55 Community at best & I cannot imagine why someone 30 to 40 years old would want to be part of that. I am even more perplexed as to why anyone would want to bring children on board. It would be great for Oceania if younger people came on board (sans children!), but they will in time....when they grow into it!

It seems to me that it would be dishonest to promise young cruisers (30 to 45) an enjoyable time on this line when the average age has to be about 70.

....is yes.

Good luck!

Nightly entertainment consists of the main shows .Not stunning , but I have seen some decent singers and dancers . The last time we were on Riviera they had a pretty good band in a large lounge every night . Plenty of seating and drink service .While there were rarely more than 50 people there on any night , the band played 4 sets . Almost all R&R .Some newer songs and a lot of oldies . But they had some flair for it , and I found it a good hangout . The last cruise we took was on Princess , they had some DJ hotshot , funky fresh guy .He was out at the pool for at least an hour every day .LOUD , techno music ( crap).Disturbing really .Some of the younger crowd liked it .The same techno hipster had a section of the ship in the dance bar at night and every time I went by there was never more than a half dozen people .My assessment , IT STUNK ! I'll take a live cover band any time . :eek::eek:

Edited by iamkingofall
Can't stand modern Techno junk

Some people here seem to assume that all the 20 and 30 somethings want a big party, and I just don't think that's true of all of them. It certainly wasn't true of ME. I'm not saying absolutely everybody will love the vibe on Oceania -- it's clear from many posts that such is not the case. But we shouldn't assume that there aren't younger folks who would fit right in.

They know who they are and we don't.

Mura