Are P&O cruises always full

spideygirl

I noticed that on my cruise in May there are still loads of cabins available. Not sure why as it is school holidays. Could it be that most people have book guar cabins? And they just havent been allocated yet?

The price has reduced further and tbh not seen it this cheap for school holidays before £599 for a delux bal cabin.

I'm sure they are not always full and anyway, those on guarantee cabins would still be in the system as having a cabin. They can't sell a cabin twice if you get my meaning.

Our cruise in October is sold out in Balc, and all suites, only a few outsides and insides remaining. Mind you that is Oriana. Is yours a large ship?

When I worked and was tied to school holidays I usually noticed a sign at reception announcing that no cabin upgrades were available as the ship was sailing full. Since I retired and sail during term time I have never noticed this, and have been upgraded about a week before most of my term time cruises.

The Ant and Dec cruise on Britannia apparently isn't full as a lot of people have cancelled according to a couple of social media groups I look at.

I noticed that on my cruise in May there are still loads of cabins available. Not sure why as it is school holidays. Could it be that most people have book guar cabins? And they just havent been allocated yet?

The price has reduced further and tbh not seen it this cheap for school holidays before £599 for a delux bal cabin.

You will also have people waiting until the last minute to book, on the assumption they will get it cheaper than others on board. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I can't play that game as we have been very lucky to reach the dizzy heights of mini suite, and they do tend to sell out if you don't move quickenough.

We have booked late for the next cruise we are travelling on and it has nothing to do with price, more to do with availability of time and fitting in with other commitments. Others may be the same and have to wait to book nearer to a cruise date so cabins sell towards the end.

I can only comment on the cruise we have just booked and we could have had a choice of every grade and a good range of cabins within the grades. Either the ship is not particularly busy or as has been hypothesised there are lots of guarantees waiting to be allocated.

Cruise lines presumably have a break even point on sales and don't push as hard once they reach it.

When I worked and was tied to school holidays I usually noticed a sign at reception announcing that no cabin upgrades were available as the ship was sailing full. Since I retired and sail during term time I have never noticed this, and have been upgraded about a week before most of my term time cruises.

The Ant and Dec cruise on Britannia apparently isn't full as a lot of people have cancelled according to a couple of social media groups I look at.

Not surprised. They have changed a couple of ports due to Ant and Dec and I for one can't stand them.

I wouldn't have thought that any part of May would be within school holidays. It sounds too late for the Easter holiday and too early for the summer holiday. It might coincide with the half-term holiday, but I think around here the summer term half-term holiday is only two days.

I wouldn't have thought that any part of May would be within school holidays. It sounds too late for the Easter holiday and too early for the summer holiday. It might coincide with the half-term holiday, but I think around here the summer term half-term holiday is only two days.

It is usually the last BH in May and the rest of the week. Our cruise leaves on the 30th May BH monday and my daughter is off for the week.

Very few ships cruise empty.

I have got to agree with Kamloops on this statement. As a general business model running 14 day Mediterranean itineraries round trip from Southampton then putting in a few Fjords and Canaries cruises when it gets very hot in the Mediterranean but not having any passengers whatsoever travelling on the ship would lead to financial problems. Increasing the gratuites, excursions prices and offering upsells to people who are not there anyway would not help either, in my opinion.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

No P&O ship departs full, or any other cruise line I would imagine. There are always a few, single figures, kept in reserve. These are for emergencies. Generally however the vast majority of sailings are full with the provisor above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app