Experience In Chez Jacques

kitty9

. How many covers are there ? So maybe 6 covers against the annoyance of maybe 40 or so others.

We have walked out of restaurants for exactly this reason before.

Since there is no charge for the restaurant it will not really hurt their pocket book

I totally agree that Specialty Restaurants should be " special" and that a certain decorum should be expected. They are not geared towards the younger crowd.

Other cruise lines have age restrictions. I think that an age restriction of no child under 12 is very reasonable and should be enforced.

Other cruiselines policies:

Celebrity:

Specialty Dining Close your eyes and imagine the finest dining experience aboard Celebrity Cruises: the décor, distinctively elegant, like that of grand ocean liners past; the ambiance, warm and welcoming; five-course meals, prepared tableside, are not only delicious, they are finely orchestrated performances. This is Specialty Dining aboard Celebrity. From first bite to last, you will savor every moment of the experience.

Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest Restaurant and Tuscan Grille (onboard our Solstice-class ships) where children of any age will be accommodated. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Disney:

Adult Restaurant

Palo is an adults-only restaurant on both the Disney Magic and Wonder. No one under age 18 can dine at Palo, and it requires special reservations and a cover charge. It offers brunch and dinner, and high tea is also available on seven-night cruises.

When we have sailed on Celebrity in the past with our children, we enjoyed our romantic dinner at the speciality restaurants without our children. The age limit was strictly enforced. I think it is an excellent idea to have a restaurant or two onboard which are child free and the restriction should be firmly followed. I think 12 is a reasonable age. Or one venue for only those over 18.

Edited by brazilgirl

Oceania will never offend a paying guest by asking them to leave. They can avoid offending everyone by establishing a reasonable minimum age for dining in the specialties or they will stop being special. On celebrity I believe the minimum age for the specialties is 12.

I started to cruise with my kids from ages 5+ .they both knew how to use a knife and fork properlyate real food with veggies and trimmings ..were always well behaved....elegant ... And polite .i took them verywhere and on. Every cruise line ...never had a problem ..

To restrict fine dining to 12 year olds isnot fair

My son knew how to eat a lobster. Properly from age 7 ...so please do not punish good kids for rowdy ones ....by the way he is 21 now

I personally did not care for Jacques or nouvelle cuisine .A. Of the food was way toooo buttery for me ...not my taste ..but maitre d was charming and atmosphere lovely ....but not crazy about the food ...sorry

Just because Jacques is my favorite doesn't mean it has to be yours!

I for one don't complain about the well behaved children! I don't think I'm in the minority on that score.

Mura

Just because Jacques is my favorite doesn't mean it has to be yours!

I for one don't complain about the well behaved children! I don't think I'm in the minority on that score.

Mura

I agree

i was a perfect child also

Lyn, it goes without saying that you and I were just perfect children. (I'm pretty sure DH was not however.)

For you it may well be because you were naturally perfect ... for me it was because I know Mom would wallop me across the head if I didn't behave as expected ... that's always a great incentive! :D

Mura

Mura, you are correct that well behaved children are not a problem at all. However, when Oceania passengers see a child, sometimes we assume the worst and want to avoid them. IMO, it is better to not have children under the age of 12 in Jacques.

I understand that some people simply do not like French food. We could be included in that group except that Jacques is our favorite restaurant on Oceania. The offerings seem different than in typical French restaurants. On the other hand, while one of my favorite dishes at sea is Miso Glazed Sea Bass, we are not a fan of Red Ginger. IMO, an Asian "fusion" restaurant tries to do all Asian cuisines well but we would prefer a restaurant doing one very well.

Not trying to change the subject - still thinking of seating for "children under the age of 12" (thinking of where they can be seated that may not disturb others). In Red Ginger, there is the area right inside of the restaurant -- not a great area to sit in but may work for kids. The same could be said for Polo.

Actually, I am now wondering what children would eat in either Red Ginger or Jacques. If there is a "children's menu", I am not aware of it (and am secretly hoping that they isn't one). Perhaps both Red Ginger and Jacques should have an age limit. The other restaurants have at least one child-friendly item on the menu (steak or spaghetti).

The more I think about it, why would a parent even want to dine in a specialty restaurant with a child that would not be happy with the food offerings? The only thing I can think of is selfishness. I am thankful that my parents exposed us to many types of restaurants when we were growing up and always dined early so that we would not disturb others. My daughter was not always easy but was also raised to know that you do not leave your seat or scream in a public place (instead she would say naughty things to us quietly:o)

Brazilgirl, Celebrity no longer has the age 12 limit in their restaurants---they allow all ages, regardless of restaurant. On a recent cruise, grandma brought their little precious 4 year old to Murano, fully knowing that the menu contained nothing for a child that young. But yet grandma insisted that the waiter trot all the way up to the buffet to fetch precious some pizza and pasta. Murano is tightly staffed, and expecting a waiter to go up to deck 12 to bring a kid food for dinner was just unfair. But because the adult wanted to eat there, it was just expected that they feed the young one, regardless of how disruptive it was.

Travel, just addressing your last comment about the food available in terms of what children would like -- I absolutely agree.

We have a favorite neighborhood restaurant. The menu is quite sophisticated but they do serve mac & cheese as an appetizer. I have seen many parents with young children ordering this dish for them ...

Unfortunately for the children, this is not a mac & cheese they would like although WE love it. It's very rich ... even though it's a small plate, my husband and I always share it. It's just too much for either one of us to finish.

I've never understood why parents of young children would bring them here ... but yet they do. (I confess on our last two visits we didn't see any youngsters whereas in the past we always have. I can only hope they have gotten wise.)

Kitty, as to my comment on a doting parent or grandparent who would insist that a waiter in a restaurant run around the ship to get a pizza (or whatever) for their little angel ... the mind boggles at the selfishness.

Mura

Lyn, it goes without saying that you and I were just perfect children. (I'm pretty sure DH was not however.)

For you it may well be because you were naturally perfect ... for me it was because I know Mom would wallop me across the head if I didn't behave as expected ... that's always a great incentive! :D

Mura

my incentive was a hairbrush on the back side or a swat in the head :D

of course we were not rich enough for vacations away let alone a cruise

My mother always taught us proper etiquette

It seems now a days if you use a fork instead of your fingers that passes as proper etiquette in some circles :D

Brazilgirl, Celebrity no longer has the age 12 limit in their restaurants---they allow all ages, regardless of restaurant. On a recent cruise, grandma brought their little precious 4 year old to Murano, fully knowing that the menu contained nothing for a child that young. But yet grandma insisted that the waiter trot all the way up to the buffet to fetch precious some pizza and pasta. Murano is tightly staffed, and expecting a waiter to go up to deck 12 to bring a kid food for dinner was just unfair. But because the adult wanted to eat there, it was just expected that they feed the young one, regardless of how disruptive it was.

Really? That is too bad! It has been a couple of years since I sailed on Celebrity.

We visited the specialty restaurants several times and had lovely experiences. I think the 12 year cut off age is very sensible for the venue.

I almost always travel with my children. It has been incredibly rewarding sharing the world with them. But I think the idea of certain venues on the ship being childfree is a win win solution. I myself enjoy time sans kids...I think having one restaurant at least ship with an age restriction is an excellent idea.

Surely the fundamental issue is that Oceania is not really appropriate for children?

There is very little for them to do, unlike lines such as Disney and others. where to a greater or lesser extent the ships are designed around children or families.

No-one objects to a small number of well behaved and quiet children on board - or in the restaurants. I've seen some delightful ones. On the other hand, I have also seen some that are well out of line in their behaviour for an adult-oriented cruise ship.

There's always some parent who boasts about how sophisticated his precious issue is and how he/she is better behaved than many adults. I won't argue that BUT most of the kids are just the opposite because they had parents who ignore them. Probably at home as well.

One should be mindful of the effect that's ones little darlings might have on others that they might interact with , be that a restaurant or elsewhere.

And in my opinion these restaurants are not places for children who cannot be trusted to behave . We have on occasion taken 3 hours to eat and to expect a child to sit and behave could be asking to much of the best of children ,. I know when I was one I would have been climbing the walls , yes I can remember that far back . I was always mindful of the effect my children might have on others and it's the parents that need some training and education in this respect .

Other than that dangle the little darlings over the stern rail and threaten to drop them !

Only kidding , er I think I am , not sure though! Don't test my patience.

There's always some parent who boasts about how sophisticated his precious issue is and how he/she is better behaved than many adults. I won't argue that BUT most of the kids are just the opposite because they had parents who ignore them. Probably at home as well.

Would sure agree with you. Could be talking about my kids sometimes also. That is why when I went on an adult vacation I used to leave them home.

it would be hard for any cruise line to weed out the "perfect" children from the not so perfect when bookings are made online

The best thing would be to put an age limit on the specialty restaurants then it is there in black & white

Sure it may P*** off a few parents with the perfect children but they will know upfront that children under a certain age are not allowed in the specialties

It is a moot point because I can not see it happening on Oceania anytime soon

I have not seen many toddlers on Oceania so they may not think it is a big issue ...YET

Very few. Maybe 5-10 tops but I rarely see them. Slightly younger crowd since this is a 7-day Caribbean cruise, but still a generally more mature group overall. 450 past Oceania passengers and the rest of us are new to the line. Great for Oceania as they are expanding their market base.

Very few. Maybe 5-10 tops but I rarely see them. Slightly younger crowd since this is a 7-day Caribbean cruise, but still a generally more mature group overall. 450 past Oceania passengers and the rest of us are new to the line. Great for Oceania as they are expanding their market base.

That is good that they are not seen much

Most sailings have 50% or more past cruisers in our experience

enjoy the rest of the cruise

Lyn

Lyn

Thanks. Everyone is extremely well behaved and I would say having a great time ... or at least I hope so!

Lyn

Since Oceania takes the money for the tickets for children and welcomes them on board I think it is poor taste to say that it is nice they are not seen. I wonder how some would feel if I said it was nice seniors were on board but lucky not seen.

Since Oceania takes the money for the tickets for children and welcomes them on board I think it is poor taste to say that it is nice they are not seen. I wonder how some would feel if I said it was nice seniors were on board but lucky not seen.

whatever :rolleyes: