LOUD show volume on Royal Princess

TwoCruisers

We had to walk out of a show on the Royal because of the deafing volume. We talked to the sound man after the show ended. He simply said the "mikes" are balanced whatever the h*ll that meant !!

We had to walk out of a show on the Royal because of the deafing volume. We talked to the sound man after the show ended. He simply said the "mikes" are balanced whatever the h*ll that meant !!

What he said was a put-off. The micks (microphones) being balanced has nothing to do with sound volume. Balancing the micks has to do with balancing micks with low voltage levels or mikes with long cables. It has to do with balancing the sound and nothing to do with volume.

This made me laugh.

Most people go to the library, or out on deck, or to a quiet lounge to read a book. I can't imagine saying to myself, "Think I'll take my book and head to the show."

Some people get to the shows early (1/2 hour or more) because that is the only way they can get decent seats. They then read to fill the time.

Some people get to the shows early (1/2 hour or more) because that is the only way they can get decent seats. They then read to fill the time.

I understand that. But I certainly wouldn't go to the main show room expecting it to be quiet enough to read a book, and then complain when it isn't. But maybe that's just me.

We were on the Feb. 22 sailing of the Royal and one of my favorite things about the cruise was all of the wonderful music (that I felt was at appropriate levels) throughout the ship. (Except for when I sat directly in front of the speakers for one of Kory Simon's wonderful shows :o )

I went to almost all of the shows in the theater and tried to attend as many of the Piazza events as i could.

I'm well into the Social Security years so it's not that I'm a teenager.

Sorry the OP didn't enjoy the entertainment.

I understand that. But I certainly wouldn't go to the main show room expecting it to be quiet enough to read a book, and then complain when it isn't. But maybe that's just me.

I can understand having music but turning it up extremely loud before a show isn't necessary. I have been on some Princess ships where it was just tolerable but on the Royal they overdo everything with extra loud volume...and that isn't even the main show.

It really seems that nothing is measured with a sound meter & it's set to what ever the production crew deems appropriate.

I guess they can't please everyone.

I have a DB meter on my phone, which I use to check noise level, sound decible volume.

Wonder if it would help to show someone of Authority, how Loud it is?

Seems that "sound man" is hard of hearing, (in more ways than one) so the Loudness didn't affect him.

And like mentioned above, he blew you off with his mic comment.

I have a DB meter on my phone, which I use to check noise level, sound decible volume.

Wonder if it would help to show someone of Authority, how Loud it is?

Seems that "sound man" is hard of hearing, (in more ways than one) so the Loudness didn't affect him.

And like mentioned above, he blew you off with his mic comment.

Neat. Have you checked any on the Princess ships? Not that they would do anything about it even if it were above a dangerous level.

Maybe the "sound man" is measuring the level from his control booth at the back of the auditorium and not in front of the humongous speakers.:rolleyes:

I'd like to make them sit in the audience some evening to get a taste of what others experience.

We were on the Feb. 22 sailing of the Royal and one of my favorite things about the cruise was all of the wonderful music (that I felt was at appropriate levels) throughout the ship. (Except for when I sat directly in front of the speakers for one of Kory Simon's wonderful shows :o )

I went to almost all of the shows in the theater and tried to attend as many of the Piazza events as i could.

Exactly our experience! :)

Make sure you bring your ear plugs for the shows on the Royal Princess! I was on the Feb 15 and Feb 22 sailings and all of the shows were so loud ...........

We were on the Feb. 22 sailing, and have quite another take on this issue. One evening we attended a performance by 4 female violinists in the Piazza. These talented ladies had developed quite a following and we were fortunate to find a seat. Unfortunately, the only seats available were off to the side, near the bar and directly in front of a table of four buffoons, who, as the music started felt the need to shout loudly enough that they drowned out the music and we could only hear their raucous laughter and shouting. These ignorant louts obviously felt that they could do what they wanted "on their cruise, in their space." We finally left!!!!

We were on the Feb. 22 sailing, and have quite another take on this issue. One evening we attended a performance by 4 female violinists in the Piazza. These talented ladies had developed quite a following and we were fortunate to find a seat. Unfortunately, the only seats available were off to the side, near the bar and directly in front of a table of four buffoons, who, as the music started felt the need to shout loudly enough that they drowned out the music and we could only hear their raucous laughter and shouting. These ignorant louts obviously felt that they could do what they wanted "on their cruise, in their space." We finally left!!!!

We also loved the string quartet and found better seats (fortunately for us) than yours but the problem with having them play in the Piazza is that people are walking around talking on their way to and from other places so the ambient noise was unavoidable.

I hope you got to see their show in the Vista Lounge. Much nicer ambience!

We also loved the string quartet and found better seats (fortunately for us) than yours but the problem with having them play in the Piazza is that people are walking around talking on their way to and from other places so the ambient noise was unavoidable.

I hope you got to see their show in the Vista Lounge. Much nicer ambience!

The string quartet was very good and was one of the few exceptions to the loud noise.

It is unfortunate that there are some people who are oblivious to their own actions and disrupt the show.

Edited by TwoCruisers

I have to say I got a sandwich at the International Cafe a couple of times and wanted to sit nearby to eat, but there were dance classes going on that actually hurt my ears. Too loud to carry on a conversation. It's a shame, because it's a lovely area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow I thought it was just me. We were having lunch in Alfredo's and it was the same. Dance classes going on and it was very loud.

Tony

Deafening loud show volume is not unique to Royal nor to Princess. We experience the problem on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean as well.

I have spoken to some of the sound engineers. They sometimes acknowledge that the shows are uncomfortably loud. However, they claim they merely follow the decibel levels set by the production company that develops the show. That may be, but sometimes individually booked performers or the ship's own orchestra play at deafening levels. I try to remember to bring earplugs to every show and adjust them as needed. If it is too painful, I walk out. And it is true that while the cruise directors and the survey takers will listen to the complaints, it is very rare they do anything about the problem beyond a single individual cruise.

I am amazed at the number of passengers who really seem to enjoy the shows at these volume levels. It may be that those of us who want to save our hearing are in the minority. The only cruises we have been on in the past several years that didn't have this problem were either on the QM2 or a river boat.

Edited by emileg

The problem is that the Piazza is not a showroom.

If you are in a showroom, you expect everyone there to be quiet while a performance is going on.

But if you put on a performance in the middle of an area with food service and bars and in an area that is a major passageway, then you should not have the same expectations for quiet you would have in a showroom.

The problem is that the Piazza is not a showroom.

If you are in a showroom, you expect everyone there to be quiet while a performance is going on.

But if you put on a performance in the middle of an area with food service and bars and in an area that is a major passageway, then you should not have the same expectations for quiet you would have in a showroom.

Exactly.

I found most of the sound levels to be spot on. Is this an age thing? No insult intended, but do older folks prefer it a bit quieter?

I'm thinking that many are seeking softer background music. For entertainment, music is intended to be louder than the background "noise" level.

But, like food, I suspect that there is a broad range of opinions. That's one reason that most music generating devices have volume controls. We all don't like it at the same level.

I found most of the sound levels to be spot on. Is this an age thing? No insult intended, but do older folks prefer it a bit quieter?

I'm thinking that many are seeking softer background music. For entertainment, music is intended to be louder than the background "noise" level.

But, like food, I suspect that there is a broad range of opinions. That's one reason that most music generating devices have volume controls. We all don't like it at the same level.

It's just got to be an individual, not an age, thing.

In a performing space, loudness will always be greatest when the seats are not occupied. The audience provides sound absorption that lowers the Sound Pressure Level. If you go early when few seats are occupied it will be louder.

On the Regal in February I found most spaces tolerable except the Internet Cafe when there was a performance in the Piazza. That room should not be open to the Piazza in my opinion.

In a performing space, loudness will always be greatest when the seats are not occupied. The audience provides sound absorption that lowers the Sound Pressure Level. If you go early when few seats are occupied it will be louder.

On the Regal in February I found most spaces tolerable except the Internet Cafe when there was a performance in the Piazza. That room should not be open to the Piazza in my opinion.

The internet cafe along with the Captains circle host area. It's impossible to have a normal conversation without any partition.