Question from a Carnival cruiser...

Hello,

We are carnival through and through, both DH and I are platinum. I tried RCCL over ten years ago and don't remember being impressed, though we were cruising with a toddler at the time, so...

Looking at a San Juan cruise next year, and seeing similar pricing between RCCL and Fascination. Identical itinerary.

How can I compare the two? As a frame of reference, on carnival, we love serenity deck, the steak house, MDR food, and the piano bar. The kid loves the music style shows like Motown and vroom.

So....would I like RCCL enough not to miss my platinum perks (huge one being priority boarding, tender and laundry!)

Tks for any input!

Well I am not answering your question, and hopefully someone on here will.

As to Carnival, I would do it in a heartbeat, instead of RCCL which we are doing the first part of April, because where I am cruising, Carnival does not go there until the end of April, and I have to go by my work schedule.

Hope you enjoy RCCL.

Just got home from our first RCI cruise on Freedom do the Seas. We have been on two Carnival cruises previously. Myself, husband, kids 24 and 14 all prefer Carnival. The rest of our party were first time cruisers and they also weren't too impressed but they don't have anything to compare with and may have just been going with our lead. It just felt as if the "fun factor" was missing. Before someone misconstrues that with partying on Carnival, I can totally and honestly say that I saw more drunk people on this cruise then I ever have on Carnival and we were up only once till the wee hour of 10 pm lol! We were not overly impressed with the food on RCI in the buffet and felt Carnival's buffet is much better. The food in the MDR was good but there weren't as many choices and the desserts were even less. If the price was right we may cruise on RCI again, but Carnival is definitely our fav between the two.

We have sailed the Freedom of the seas the last 2 years and are returning in May. We love it. I am a foodie and think the food on RCI is much better. the buffet is great and it is the first time I cruised without feeling the need to go to the dining room. Food was definately my deciding factor.

We love the 70's party, I miss the deck party on Carnival though. They have them on RCI but since we are grandparents traveling with our 6 yr old granddaughter we don't stay out late enough anymore. I wish they would do the party right after the show, not starting at 11pm when a lot of people have turned in for the night.

I think sailing out of San Juan you wilk have a great fun cruise either way. Puerto Tocans love to party!

I think you'll enjoy the solarium, steakhouse (Chops), and piano bar (Schooner bar). The production shows on Royal tend to be among the top in the industry. MDR food will be about the same as Carnival. The kids will enjoy rock climbing, mini-golf, slides, etc. Consider mixing up your meals. For example, try the MDR for breakfast or the buffet for dinner to get some variety.

I've cruised on RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and a few other that are no longer around, and out of all, RCCL and Celebrity are by far my favorite, then Princess and Carnival. It's not that I don't like Carnival, it just doesn't rank at the top for me.

I would say try Royal. You'll never know how you feel about it if you don't try it. At least then you'll know for the future what you like and don't like. I love the layout and décor of RCCL a lot more than I do Carnival.

Whatever you do decide, have a great time!

I have done 4 Carnival, 1 NCL, 1 Princess, 1 Celebrity, and 21 Royal Caribbean. Am I "Loyal to Royal?" I suppose. But the truth is I just like them better. Every thing you asked about, food, entertainment, etc. is very subjective. I found that the food on Carnival was as good in the MDR or better than Royal. But the entertainment is better on Royal. I like the Karaoke bar on Carnival. But I like Schooner Bar on Royal (piano bar). However I just like the ships better on Royal. The layout, decor, etc. And now that we are D+ we get many more perks on Royal.

I have never done a cruise out of San Juan. I understand from CC that it can be a different experience. But if you like the price and itinerary, give it a try. Then you'll know.

I have sailed both Carnival and RCCL and have enjoyed both. I pick my cruises for itinerary and price. I go into each cruise with an open mind and my expectations have always been met (or exceeded).

I have sailed on the Jewel from San Juan and it was amazing. That is my favorite class of ship - so many sea views, very elegant ship.

I think you should give it a try! At worst, you will still be on a cruise vacation! ;)

I would say try Royal. You'll never know how you feel about it if you don't try it. At least then you'll know for the future what you like and don't like. !

We are carnival people too. Like you we are platinum. But I agree with this post

You really gotta mix it up or the carnival cruises all tend to become the same.

so you have to wait to check in. or your room isn't ready when you board. These are the only two things different

It is good that you are getting several postings here in regard to your question.

We are doing the Adventure of the Seas the 2nd of April on RCCL. I did say I like Carnival better, and NOT because it is called a party boat, because we don't do that.

I think one reason why I am down on RCCL is that they LOST our luggage for almost 4 days, going on another ship. When our luggage was returned to us, it looked like a football player had "kicked" it out of the sky. To say the least it as a BAD experience for us, as well as 3 other couples. I was glad I had insurance, although being on a ship, things are expensive, so insurance coverage doesn't cover much.

I am CCL Platinum and RCCL Emerald as well as gone on NCL (not my favorite by far) and Celebrity and go on both depending on price, itinerary and what experience I am looking for. I try to keep it fresh and change it up. I think you will find there are more similarities than difference and that both lines are compriable and very enjoyable. I love the design and ship "experience" on RCCL but love the vibe on CCL. But I have been on the Adventure of the Seas and prefer it over the Fascination. But on the San Juan Cruise you are soooooo busy with the ports (5-6 ports in 7 days) that you might not get to enjoy all the amenities IMHO.

Hello,

We are carnival through and through, both DH and I are platinum. I tried RCCL over ten years ago and don't remember being impressed, though we were cruising with a toddler at the time, so...

Looking at a San Juan cruise next year, and seeing similar pricing between RCCL and Fascination. Identical itinerary.

How can I compare the two? As a frame of reference, on carnival, we love serenity deck, the steak house, MDR food, and the piano bar. The kid loves the music style shows like Motown and vroom.

So....would I like RCCL enough not to miss my platinum perks (huge one being priority boarding, tender and laundry!)

Tks for any input!

I say break out of your comfort zone and give Royal a try. Thats what Im doing with Carnival in 49 days and Im REALLY looking forward to it.

Jewel is part of the Radiance class which are absolutely beautiful cruise ships. To me they are the perfect size and you really know you are on a cruise ship instead of a fancy resort like the bigger ships can feel. The adult solarium on these ships are gorgeous and I love the centrum area. No, they dont have all the bells and whistles of Voyager class and up but except a waterslide, neither does the Fantasy class on Carnival.

Arrive a little later at the port if you want your cabin ready when you board :)

Edited by ryano

I made the leap over from Carnival several years ago, I still cruise with them occasionally, but it's mostly RCI now. Like you, I was Platinum on CCL so it was rough starting over into a new loyalty program. Even worse was that was back before CCL revamped their program and Platinum was their highest rung with unlimited laundry. It was great coming home from vacation and not having to wash anything!

But in the end I'm glad we migrated over. If you stick with RCI, their loyalty program becomes much more generous once you hit the Diamond and Diamond Plus levels. The nightly cocktail parties, drink vouchers, discount coupons and other little niceties add up. I won't even get into how they spoil the Pinnacles, as most of us will never get there.

As far as the ships go, I have been on Jewel OTS and Carnival Fascination multiple times each. I love both classes. The Fantasy Class ships are like a second home to me since most of my CCL cruises were on them. But the Radiance Class ships (including Jewel) are a great deal nicer IMO.

We just got off the Breeze last week. (Gold on Carnival, Diamond on RCCL.)

- I think the shows are similar on both. e.g. There was a Motown show on the Breeze and a Motown Divas show on the Adventure when I sailed in November. I'd say Carnival slightly edges RCCL on comedy shows, though both of them have venue issues.

• You may prefer Serenity over the Solarium. I encourage you to look at photos of the Solarium and compare. I'd say the biggest differences are Carnival hammocks/furniture vs. the deck loungers and pool.
  • I can't give any guidance on the steak house. I haven't eaten in them on either line.
  • I think the piano bar experience depends heavily on the quality and skill of the entertainer. I've seen good and not so good on both lines.
  • MDR food like all food review is very subjective. As a general statement I find both lines to have similar quality food. I was disappointed on the Breeze with the selections, but you may be happy with them and not like the RCCL choices. I'd encourage you to look at the of the menus available.
    We did *not* like the new American Table service for a variety of reasons, but our wait staff was hands down the worst I've ever experienced. (They would leave dirty dishes on the table. Every night we had to ask them for a beverage if we wanted something other than water. One night they failed to give one of us a menu. Twice they served us the wrong food. One night we sat down and the table had clearly not been cleaned from the early dining seating.)
  • Pizza, it's food so very subjective: I think the Carnival pizza was/is much better than RCCL Sorrentos pizza.
  • I can get bacon all by myself on RCCL! ....instead of waiting for a someone to give me 2 pieces are a time like on Carnival.
  • Hasbro game show - Carnival has it, RCCL doesn't.
  • Quest, (adult scavenger game) The Breeze version of this was much raunchier than I've ever seen on any RCCL ship. e.g. they asked for a picture of a man's private parts for one quest. In another they asked for a woman wearing only a man's boxers, which resulted in (at least) one woman that I saw stark naked (while changing,) then running topless toward the stage.
  • The arcades are similar if your kid is into those.
  • Perks Yes you'll miss the priority boarding, tendering, and ready room. I would say those things can be mitigated to some extent. You're probably not tendering unless you stop at grand cayman so that's likely not an issue. You could get a JS or higher which will give you priority boarding, or just show up very early (i.e. 11am) or very late (2pm or after in San Juan.)
  • On 7 day or longer sailings, RCCL will have an official cruise critic meet and greet if at least 25 people sign up. Sometimes they'll have snacks and/or serve punch. They will give away a few prizes, and sometimes one or more ship officers will attend.
  • RCCL doesn't force everyone in the cabin to purchase their version of Cheers. RCCL also doesn't have a 15 drink limit, though I've personally never found that to be a problem. IMHO that's an easy win for RCCL.
  • As pointed out by another poster, the loyalty benefits especially at lower levels are better on RCCL.
  • No self laundry on RCCL ships. Win goes to Carnival on that point. (RCCL will happily wash and fold for a fee.)

Edited by ewenix

All cruise lines are pretty much the same, its the little things, you notice and like. I am platinum on Carnival, Platinum on princess, emerald on rcl, have cruised with ncl twice, celebrity.

to me it breaks down like this, what do i want to spend, how bad do i wanna see the ports, everything else is, just a plus

the perks are nice, but what do you wanna see and do? that does it every time for me.

Hello,

Tks for any input!

We did a B2B on Adventure out of San Juan last year and it was great. Ignore the perks (we are elite on Princess but still like RCI). You won't get laundry service (except a $30 bag midweek), but really don't need priority boarding - just show up around 10:30 and you will be one of the first onboard. And there aren't any tender ports out of San Juan.

Kid will love the ice show and there are plenty of activities. Lots of kids disappear into the kids club, never to be seen until dragged out. Adult area is good and free, so take advantage of it.

I agree in some areas with Poz223, the Adventures of the Seas cruise going out of San Juan is a very BUSY schedule, as we are planning on doing it, starting on the 2nd of April.

As for myself, I prefer CCL, instead of RCCL, but I had to do RCCL, as I could not get off from work to do this itinerary for Carnival, so that is why I am doing RCCL. I believe NCL was mentioned, but we will never (unless it is given FREE) cruise that line again, and there were others that felt the same way.

We went the other way and had never sailed Carnival until cruise #34. We were pleasantly surprised and have done several since. We love the Cloud 9 Spa cabins and Serenity Deck. Also like the food options like Steak House and Chef's Table.

We also like RCCL about as much on all counts. However, if you can afford a GS or above the perks for being a suite guest on RCCL blow Carnival away.

I am not really brand loyal, I look at the itinerary, ship, and cost (in that order).

Currently, we are hooked on the Oasis class ships and are booked for October on the Allure.

Hello -

Any cruise out of SJU will be wonderful IMO. We have sailed the recent offerings: Adventure (twice), Jewel, Valor, and will be back on Jewel this fall. The Jewel will be undergoing refurb this year. These cruises are more port focuses so the ship is not as critical IMO. The RC Jewel will likely be an older crowd. Carnival will likely be a younger crowd with more San Juan residents. I would say each cruise was similar. I like the decor on RC better, and casual food options on Carnival.

Enjoy your trip