1st River Cruise -- Cost

John99

I really do want to do a TA someday! I don't get bored - if I have something to read and something to drink, I'm happy for at least a week:p The size of the ship is a concern (I don't like people, so....:o) That said, I'd love to try the QMII.....But there are TAs on smaller ships too (and often it's a great fare for a luxury line because there are more people who want all the ports than those who like the quiet & "boredom" of non-stop sea days, so.....)

Along with my 15+ river cruises I have also done 7 TAs. I've never combined the TAs with a river cruise yet because the max I want to be away from home is about 17 days. I love the TA's because I just sit on my balcony and veg. I load lots of books o my kindle and pretty much become a hermit for the 7-8 crossing. I usually travel east to west because I get the long flight out of they way first.

Like Hoyaheel and Rogerdawhip if I have a glass of wine and plenty to read, I'm happy sitting on my balcony....but I also like the break of a port every now and then. I love ocean cruising but I'm uncomfortable in crowds and for some reason ocean cruising seems to attract a number of rude and inconsiderate people whereas river cruising seems to appeal to the more genteel. OTOH, I do agree that everyone should do a TA once just for the experience.

Like Hoyaheel and Rogerdawhip if I have a glass of wine and plenty to read, I'm happy sitting on my balcony....but I also like the break of a port every now and then. I love ocean cruising but I'm uncomfortable in crowds and for some reason ocean cruising seems to attract a number of rude and inconsiderate people whereas river cruising seems to appeal to the more genteel. OTOH, I do agree that everyone should do a TA once just for the experience.

We love Celebrity and don't find problems with rude people.

We love Celebrity and don't find problems with rude people.

I love Celebrity too, but I have to say I've met some incredibly rude people, especially around the pool where I swear they're spending the night in those lounge chairs!

I love Celebrity too, but I have to say I've met some incredibly rude people, especially around the pool where I swear they're spending the night in those lounge chairs!

Chair hogs! That's because there are so many pax, so few chairs. If you want prime real estate ya gotta be! That's why we love River Cruises no stress.

I realize you're not looking at Uniworld, but I want to share my experience as a first time river cruiser and you can apply what you want to your situation.

Since I had never visited any of the ports on my Danube itinerary, I stuck with the included tours and was more than satisfied. I priced airfare on my own and it was $1,300 - $1,500. Uniworld got it for me at $850. For insurance I used the same co. I use for my ocean cruises. Tips were included in the fare, as was beer, wine, and hard liquor. I had my TA book an independent pre-cruise pkg. for me which saved money over what Uniworld was offering.

The only expense on my onboard acct. was some postcard stamps I purchased from the front desk.

Roz

Thanks for the comments. Looks like a good mix of ideas.

The Romantic Danube I priced out at $6600pp with an estimate for air at $1500. Tips not included.

If I put a deposit down with AMA (early booking discount) can I re-book it if a better price comes along?

So far, in my opinion, I would rate the river cruise lines as follows:

Uniworld

Tauck

AMA

Avalon

Viking

I know I missed a few lines but these are the only lines I really concentrated on.

I have a TA that really likes Uniworld. Her clients rave about Uniworld.

Many reviews on Viking because of the huge numbers of offerings plus more people have sailed vs. others. Viking up front payment gave me pause.

Ok, we have chosen the Danube itinerary after much research. What time of year is best? I had a hard time to decided when. Why?

Well my analysis was by:

a) best time of year (weather)

b) best price - cruise line vs. cruise line, all-inclusive vs. partial inclusive, new ships vs. older ships, etc. The lowest price for us is not an important criteria.

c) best time to avoid crowds

d) high or low water levels (take a guess - levels change every year and of course it's seasonal)

John

Make sure you're checking out all the specials on the websites or travel deal blogs. I had originally priced 7 day Rhine cruises, but thanks to a Uniworld deal I saw on a weekly travel email I receive was able to book their 12 day Rhine and Moselle trip for about $300 more PP than other lines 7 day cruise. Since Uniworld includes gratuities and alcohol, that made it an even better deal.

Later Uniworld posted a great deal on their European Jewels cruise that was even better than our Rhine/Moselle deal, but because of a work commitment I couldn't change our trip. Many of the cruise lines offer deals on certain sailing dates so if you can make those work, you can get a great price.

I have a quick question, we are in the process as well of learning about river cruising. I have two priced out with my travel agent right now. Everyone says Viking requires full payment, but my invoice only shows that I need $1000.00 down and the balance a 5 months before sailing. AMA wanted $800 deposit and I forget when final payment. Am I missing somthing? Will Viking require more down?

Kathy

Kathy is that an invoice from Viking or your TA? And if it's from Viking does it give a specific date (5 months from now).

AMA and the others typically req the balance due 90 to 120 prior to sailing.

Howdy JVilleGal,

Kathy, Re: Viking We sailed last year with Scenic a week before JVille Gal and had booked back in November of 2013 and originally booked with Viking but they wanted FULL PAYMENT 16 months prior to our cruise. Our cruise with Scenic was and are you sitting down $10,000 cheaper than The Nickle Dime Viking and we had Limo Transfers, Private Butlers, All Inclusive with Private Concerts in Vienna and Budapest and had a cabin that was out of this world Royal Panorama Suite. Only paid $1000 each to book and final payment wasn't due until 90 days prior to the cruise..

Saw lots of Viking ships that weren't getting through because of low water issues and so folks were having to change ships in mid stream.

Wishing you

Smooth Sailings

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Howdy JVilleGal,

Kathy, Re: Viking We sailed last year with Scenic a week before JVille Gal and had booked back in November of 2013 and originally booked with Viking but they wanted FULL PAYMENT 16 months prior to our cruise. Our cruise with Scenic was and are you sitting down $10,000 cheaper than The Nickle Dime Viking and we had Limo Transfers, Private Butlers, All Inclusive with Private Concerts in Vienna and Budapest and had a cabin that was out of this world Royal Panorama Suite. Only paid $1000 each to book and final payment wasn't due until 90 days prior to the cruise..

Saw lots of Viking ships that weren't getting through because of low water issues and so folks were having to change ships in mid stream.

Wishing you

Smooth Sailings

LoneStarCruisinCouple

$10K cheaper, Wow, I haven't taken a river or ocean cruise that cost anywhere near $10K for two, including airfare.

JvilleGal,

It is on a Viking Invoice. The total cruise is $6047.00 in 2017 Christmas markets for two, with our airfare and all transfers and a prestay in Lucerne.

Says Total Deposit $1000.00 final payment june 16, 2017.

Right now we are leaning towards this one as it gives my husband some of the choices he wants.

Kathy

$10K cheaper, Wow, I haven't taken a river or ocean cruise that cost anywhere near $10K for two, including airfare.
I was thinking the same thing. We leave in 10 days and are paying $6648 for two with included air, 3 nights in Lisbon, 7 nights on the Douro River and 2 nights in Porto. I thought that was a good, but not great, price. It includes transfers but no Limo or butler; I guess I'll just have to muddle through:rolleyes:

Thom

JvilleGal,

It is on a Viking Invoice. The total cruise is $6047.00 in 2017 Christmas markets for two, with our airfare and all transfers and a prestay in Lucerne.

Says Total Deposit $1000.00 final payment june 16, 2017.

Right now we are leaning towards this one as it gives my husband some of the choices he wants.

Kathy

Well you should be good! And you'll have a great time :)

I was thinking the same thing. We leave in 10 days and are paying $6648 for two with included air, 3 nights in Lisbon, 7 nights on the Douro River and 2 nights in Porto. I thought that was a good, but not great, price. It includes transfers but no Limo or butler; I guess I'll just have to muddle through:rolleyes:

Thom

Wow, great deal! I thought I had a good deal for our Rhine/Moselle trip last year but boy, not compared to this :) Which cruise line?

Nor I.

I'm looking at much much less than that ($6K with air and transfers included) for 13 days on the Seine. Wonder if the PP was basing the comparison on Viking's "double your pleasure" list prices?

Edited by CPT Trips

You all can boast about spending thousands but I'm much happier paying only $399pp for my upcoming Emerald 8 day all inclusive Rhine River cruise! Plenty of money saved/pocketed for pre and post cruise hotels and activities. :)

Well, I went and contacted that TA. The $399 pp cruise wound up pricing out at much more than double that (no air).

It still might have been a good deal, but they kept pushing for my cc number as a requirement to get important trip details. Their website was even worse, wanted cc info before providing trip confirmation details. Then there was the BBB rating . . . And a really rotten bunch of on-line complaints.

I used to think CC was overly protective in censoring posts mentioning TAs, now I understand why.

ETA: A wise man once said, "if something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is."

Edited by CPT Trips

Well, I went and contacted that TA. The $399 pp cruise wound up pricing out at much more than double that (no air).

It still might have been a good deal, but they kept pushing for my cc number as a requirement to get important trip details. Their website was even worse, wanted cc info before providing trip confirmation details. Then there was the BBB rating . . . And a really rotten bunch of on-line complaints.

I used to think CC was overly protective in censoring posts mentioning TAs, now I understand why.

ETA: A wise man once said, "if something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is."

Sorry to correct you, but what your saying is not completely true. The only other costs are $120pp for gratuities bringing the grand total to a staggering $519 pp!! Still including free bar drinks with meals and guided tours everyday. Without airfare I am still saving around $1,500 pp on a comparable cruise. And as far as paying with a credit card up front goes, that is completely understandable, you are purchasing a "last minute" cruise deal that sails in weeks, not months. Would you expect to pay the balance upon arrival? If you want a bargain sometimes you have pay upfront. I have no problem with that. This is a huge FL agency and these river cruises are just a very small portion of travel which they sell. They put out full page ads every Sunday in the Orlando paper and the Florida Sun. They told me that this is the first year that they have chartered a European River cruise so hopefully more people won't be afraid, skeptical and leery of the price where they can do it again next year. I owned a retail business for years and found that sometimes when I priced a quality item too cheaply it wouldn't sell, but when I raised the price 10-20% more it would miraculous move off the shelf...go figure! ;)

Nor I.

I'm looking at much much less than that ($6K with air and transfers included) for 13 days on the Seine. Wonder if the PP was basing the comparison on Viking's "double your pleasure" list prices?

That sounds like a great price, don't you usually travel GCT? I see where they have a Seine 13 day cruise, but $4000 p/p is the cheapest I see on their site for 2016 sailings.

Edited by ural guy