Attack in Istanbul.

Gitte

We're booked on a cruise that ends in Istanbul in July. I am hoping Celebrity changes the itinerary. We have already booked our flights, so it would mean changing those, but I'd be happier doing that than disembarking in Istanbul at this point. My personal opinion is that, with what has been happening in Istanbul in the past several months, going to Istanbul is taking an unnecessary risk. I'm seriously debating whether we should cancel our cruise completely, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that - I love the rest of the itinerary, it's just Istanbul that is making me nervous.

The BIG problem here is on the 2 last attacks both the german and us (and probably Ottersen) knew about the risk and warned their ovn citisens, but Turkey officials just made jokes about It and said that the other countries were overreacting.......

I think the best ting were that All Cruiselines moved All their ships away from Turkish ports for this Summer Season!!!! That is a statsment the Turkish officials will notise.

AS a comparement Turkey is a top 5 Charter-holiday Nation from all scandinavian countries, but this summer only 40% of the normal sale so far - no need to Ask Why ?????

And even a ship in port is NOT a safe target !!!!!!!

I AM gong On a cruise in sept On Reflection, with a stop in Turkey..... I really do not want to go ashore....

Last but not least i wished that CELEBRITY would take the decision , not Hilde behind a fence and make adjustments 12-48 hours prior to sailing

Arne

More cruise lines are shuffling itineraries to avoid vistits to Turkey.

Do you hope Celebrity Cruises will follow ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35850625

Gitte

Absolutely do not want Celebrity to stop going to Istanbul. Really bad stuff this bad and worse happen in places all the time, but this captures our attention and fears better. Keep living.

- Joel

Just FYI, a number of posts have been removed because they are off topic political discussions.

From our guidelines:

...at our discretion, [we may] change or remove inappropriate graphics or text from online signatures and profiles without notice. This may include vulgarity, nudity, political statements, and or any other content we feel inappropriate for our cruise community.

We're booked on a cruise that ends in Istanbul in July. I am hoping Celebrity changes the itinerary. We have already booked our flights, so it would mean changing those, but I'd be happier doing that than disembarking in Istanbul at this point. My personal opinion is that, with what has been happening in Istanbul in the past several months, going to Istanbul is taking an unnecessary risk. I'm seriously debating whether we should cancel our cruise completely, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that - I love the rest of the itinerary, it's just Istanbul that is making me nervous.

Hi,

We feel the same and it's like a waiting game to see what has to happen before Celeb X changes these ports. With the latest events yesterday, we are too questioning are cruise in Aug, we disembark in Istanbul and even though we were there last year and stayed a few days, totally loving the place and promising ourselves that we would return.... Now, well it is a different story, I don't want to return at the minute with the way events are happening, esp if it is tourist that are being targeted. I don't know who safe we will feel even though we are assured that it is a safe port for disembarkation and then safely off to the airport... i'd really rather go elsewhere!!

Our cruise which leaves 25th Aug, is still more that half empty and I have never seen prices so good, but I don't think it is enough to get people to take this chance.

So now, just watching this space and see how this plays out. :confused:

I am a pretty seasoned traveler with over 100 countries including Turkey. Have previously visited the location where the German tourists lost their lives in Istanbul to a homicide bomber. Have a deposit down for an August Reflection cruise. Have never cancelled a trip based upon security concerns. However I am beginning to waiver on this one. I just looked at some other countries travel advisories for Turkey and it is not pretty. I like a lot of people are going back and forth with " I am not going to let terrorists scare me away/ this won't happen to me versus what if. The problem is that tourists and especially Americans are high value targets. I feel very sorry for the Turkish people who depend on tourism for their livelihood. I have decided to wait until the final payment date and if Turkey is still on the itinerary I probably will cancel. What a shame!

It's understandable that a thread about the security risks in Istanbul affecting cruise travel to that city would drift to discussions about the underlying reasons for the situation, but the argument has nothing to do with, in this case, Celebrity Cruise Lines and their decisions on itineraries and changes thereto

Please stay on topic and please do not post discussions about politics and social turmoil in the Middle East and, for that matter, in the USA.

Thanks.

Appreciate the varied and interesting comments on this thread. We super loved Istanbul from our June 2006 visit there at the end of our first cruise. We we fortunate to do an Athens to Istanbul sailing, with stops in the Greek Islands, Ephesus, Bodrum and to finish with two days in Istanbul at the end of our cruise.

We would love to go back to Istanbul, plus do more, including stops in and around Israel, Egypt, etc. BUT, the overall safety issues are a major concern in this region. Not sure an easy or quick solution is immediately upcoming. Clearly this is challenging for the cruise lines. Your odds of something bad happening are very small, but you do not want to take too many risks. Will watch developments with strong future interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 209,885 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Celebrity Equinox has a cruise leaving from Istanbul in June so what they do there may give a clue as to whether the other cruises scheduled to embark/disembark from Istanbul will be changed.

What a tragedy for the Turkish people.

In view of recent reported events, we would not feel safe in that port and have felt that way for awhile ...glad we had the chance to visit in yrs past but would not return under present conditions...glad Celebrity is protective of guest safety at this time,

Something to consider if you plan to tour Istanbul, despite the current situation:

Our news is reporting that the bomber did indeed target the Israeli tour group which suffered casualties (3 Israelis - including two who had dual US/Israeli citizenship- were killed in the attack, and several others were wounded). He is said to have followed them from their hotel, to the restaurant they went to for breakfast. When they exited the restaurant, he blew himself up.

With reports of 3 more IS terrorists on the loose and planning to carry out another attack in Istanbul, and London on the alert for multiple attacks as I write this, it appears the best plan if you go might be to avoid traveling with a group, and also avoid major tourist/shopping areas. In other words, it's the time to get the taste of local life, walking residential neighborhoods and eating in small 'off the beaten path' cafes.

I always wonder what exactly posters mean when they say they will be extra vigilant when they tour (Do they know what to look for? What to do?), but at least the above is a strategy which might provide you with some security.

(No, I personally will not even consider going. And, needless to say, after Saturday's attack, our government not only told Israelis to stop travel to Turkey, but also told those still in the country to leave immediately.)

Edited by happy trailer

Just wondering, how many total itineraries would have to be altered if Istanbul was dropped from either a disembarking or embarking port for 2016? Not counting the other stops in Turkey which could be altered at last minute and would not cause such a major disruption, but how many this year are in the schedule for disembarking/embarking?

We were on the first sailing last August that cut the overnight stop and we didn't discover this until we were virtually en route to Istanbul. I realise the logistics would be horrendous for X to change many sailings, but if some cruises are a good few months out, pax could possibly get alternative flights and Celebrity pay the change fees. By tweaking the itineraries slightly, they may be able to keep the majority of the schedule. That's presuming there are berths available at alternative ports for embarking/disembarking. And if the sales are 'soft' on these itineraries anyway, with many empty cabins still available, then it may not be as huge a problem for X to alter the embarkation/disembarkation port. They may find that changing that would increase the reservations, thus improving revenue instead of the constant price drops? Just a thought - and I realise it's not great for those pax that have already booked air, but actually, it may put a good few minds at rest.

I know X have already changed some of the 2017 itineraries from Eastern to the Western Med ;).

And if the sales are 'soft' on these itineraries anyway, with many empty cabins still available, then it may not be as huge a problem for X to alter the embarkation/disembarkation port. They may find that changing that would increase the reservations, thus improving revenue instead of the constant price drops? Just a thought - and I realise it's not great for those pax that have already booked air, but actually, it may put a good few minds at rest.

I know X have already changed some of the 2017 itineraries from Eastern to the Western Med ;).

As one who would be potentially affected by this, I would cope! We disembark in Istanbul in June but booked flights we could change for an additional 65 euros each 'just in case'. Possibly a different destination would cost more in airfare, but I would still rather X erred on the side of caution.

We are not unduly concerned for our own safety if we do disembark in Istanbul because we shall go straight from the ship to the airport for an early departure. As others have said though, very sad for those whose livelihoods depend upon tourism.

It is actually 2nd attack in the same week.

Intelligence departments know of 3 other Isis cells that are highly active & there are high alerts for safety issues.

I live in a volatile country but things have accelerated in Turkey.

Turkey has Terrorist Tourism & is a hub for Europeans to reach Syria to join Isis.

Our Homeland security have warned citizens NOT to travel to Turkey & those that are there to return ASAP.

What country is this warning for? Not the US Homeland Security, right? The way I read the warning, it is only for Southeastern Turkey......So Kudasi/Bodrum ports not affected. Something to watch, for sure, but no current warning.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

and now 2 bombings in Brussels. one attack at the Brussels Zaventem airport and the other in the train station killing at least 13

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35869254

Maybe we all need to stay at home !!!!!!

However, statistics show more accidents happen in the home, so let's just cruise & enjoy ourselves.