Attack in Istanbul.

Gitte

Our August Greek Isles cruise disembarks in Istanbul. I've been very bullish on staying a day or so after the cruise to see what so many have told me is a really spectacular place. I'll admit, I'm starting to think we should just head to the airport and move on to Barcelona which is the final destination on our journey. I know the odds of being caught up in any type of terrorist episode are tiny, but, the other half of my brain is starting to say buy why take the chance. I know we won't cancel the cruise, but I may have to miss the post cruise city experience. I guess the next few months will tell.

Our August Greek Isles cruise disembarks in Istanbul. I've been very bullish on staying a day or so after the cruise to see what so many have told me is a really spectacular place. I'll admit, I'm starting to think we should just head to the airport and move on to Barcelona which is the final destination on our journey. I know the odds of being caught up in any type of terrorist episode are tiny, but, the other half of my brain is starting to say buy why take the chance. I know we won't cancel the cruise, but I may have to miss the post cruise city experience. I guess the next few months will tell.

To the OP, Celebrity has already cancelled port stops in Istanbul. Really difficult to change the start or finish of a cruise and it really is very unlikely to have you involved in an incident. Is the violence there any different from San Bernadino? Or how about Denver? Just

use your brain when going places.

When I booked my August cruise, ending in Istanbul, I chose to book my air fare through Celebrity just in case of any problems like this. I spoke to the Celebrity agent and he confirmed that they have cancelled port days to Istanbul but considered embarkation and disembarkation to be safe because we will be in a secure port and then travelling to a secure airport. We don't actually go into the city.

I certainly feel happy knowing that if there are any problems, it is Celebrity's job to find me a new flight.

When I booked my August cruise, ending in Istanbul, I chose to book my air fare through Celebrity just in case of any problems like this. I spoke to the Celebrity agent and he confirmed that they have cancelled port days to Istanbul but considered embarkation and disembarkation to be safe because we will be in a secure port and then travelling to a secure airport. We don't actually go into the city.

I certainly feel happy knowing that if there are any problems, it is Celebrity's job to find me a new flight.

For the cruise after yours (i.e. the one leaving from Istanbul) many, if not most, of those travelling will probably arrive at least the day before and need to stop overnight in Istanbul.

For the cruise after yours (i.e. the one leaving from Istanbul) many, if not most, of those travelling will probably arrive at least the day before and need to stop overnight in Istanbul.

That is a very real concern! I had not thought about that. I would be tempted to look at a flight to a nearby country and then make an early-morning flight to Istanbul, if possible.

I understand that there may be a new cruise terminal in Istanbul? Please reply if you have first hand recent experience. Thanks-the info on websites is very conflicting.

I have no first hand experience.

Not sure if anyone would.

But this is an article about the new terminal and since construction only began in 2015 and it was estimated to take 2 to 2 and 1/2 years to complete don't think it would be open yet.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/istanbuls-new-cruise-port-to-be-an-exemplary-project.aspx?pageID=238&nID=73935&NewsCatID=345

Keith

This truly saddens me. We did a round trip out of Istanbul in October on the Constellation. We went two days early and loved every minute of our stay there. Our itinerary originally included an overnight in Istanbul, but Celebrity changed that and added Mykonos. Our first night in Istanbul coincided with the bombing in Ankara, which we didn't know about because of traveling all day. We only heard about it from the people (locals) eating dinner at the table next to us. I'm always confident that Celebrity will be extremely cautious in not putting its passengers in harm's way. Of course nothing is guaranteed. I see that I'm rambling; it's just that Istanbul was so beautiful and the people we met were so warm and welcoming. Especially in the hookah bars. [emoji3] I just hate all this violence that is happening all over the world.

Celebrity should immediately cancel all port of calls in Turkey. We have been to Turkey twice and really loved both Istanbul and Kusadasi. However, things have deteriorated as has the Turkish government. Safety of the passengers and crew must come first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Reflection had still two ports in Turkey, Kusadasi and Bodrum. I hope they will change it for other ports.

Gitte

I am beginning to think that way also, not comfortable looking over my shoulder all the time and would prefer if they went somewhere else or added another sea day.

Celebrity is perhaps the only major cruiseline still to have Istanbul as a port of call, others have found replacement ports in Greece. And not to speak about starting or ending the cruise in Istanbul.

HAL are still selling cruises with Istanbul on the itinerary. Personally, I'd still be comfortable with Kusadasi, but increasingly doubtful about Istanbul.

Stuart

HAL are still selling cruises with Istanbul on the itinerary. Personally, I'd still be comfortable with Kusadasi, but increasingly doubtful about Istanbul.

Stuart

I feel the same way. I was in Istanbul a couple of times last year and didn't have an issue, but the world moves on and I would now. I'm in Kusadasi in May and am comfortable with it at present.

Phil

There are threats of attack all over the world, even the US and the UK. The reason Celebrity canceled most of the stops in Istanbul is due to construction in the port.

Istanbul is still a major city with all that goes along with being a major city. Friends of mine were there last month and said that while there is a bit of an increased security presence, they are not afraid to be there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I know people are saying Celebrity couldn't move the start and finish of a cruise from Istanbul for various reasons but didn't they have to change the start and finish of a Silhouette Cruise a few years back from Rome to Naples after it developed Engine trouble.

Celebrity should immediately cancel all port of calls in Turkey. We have been to Turkey twice and really loved both Istanbul and Kusadasi. However, things have deteriorated as has the Turkish government. Safety of the passengers and crew must come first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree totally. I have also spent quite a bit of time in Turkey over the years. I definitely would not visit at the moment, it is very unstable at the moment.

There are threats of attack all over the world, even the US and the UK. ...

It's gone beyond threats (or even isolated one-off incidents) in Turkey and specifically in Istanbul. IIRC this is the second attack in as many months in Istanbul alone, one of which specifically targeted and killed tourists.

The reason Celebrity canceled most of the stops in Istanbul is due to construction in the port.

Well the port is under construction and that's what they said, yes - might make people a bit nervy about a boarding any ship in that area if you said months ahead you were cancelling the stop for other reasons. You might find people choose not to cruise at all. Last year when Silhouette had its stops in Israel pulled, Celebrity didn't tell people until 48 hours before sailing when it was too late to pull out for 99.9% of people.

There are threats of attack all over the world, even the US and the UK. The reason Celebrity canceled most of the stops in Istanbul is due to construction in the port.

Istanbul is still a major city with all that goes along with being a major city. Friends of mine were there last month and said that while there is a bit of an increased security presence, they are not afraid to be there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I travel quite extensively in Europe with my work and can assure you Istanbul at the moment is like no other major city. Construction work was a convenient excuse.

Last year we were very frustrated with Celebrity because they cancelled our Istanbul overnight on the Reflection, as a reaction to a shooting in the old city. But with so many attacks on recent months, as a passenger, I would stand with the cruise line on a decision that involves a port cancellation. The situation in Turkey looks like out of control, even, if it's in Ankara, that shouldn't be a big concern, but it is moving to our favorite city: Istanbul. And no surprise if something happens in Kusadasi or Izmir soon.

It's gone beyond threats (or even isolated one-off incidents) in Turkey and specifically in Istanbul. IIRC this is the second attack in as many months in Istanbul alone, one of which specifically targeted and killed tourists.

Well the port is under construction and that's what they said, yes - might make people a bit nervy about a boarding any ship in that area if you said months ahead you were cancelling the stop for other reasons. You might find people choose not to cruise at all. Last year when Silhouette had its stops in Israel pulled, Celebrity didn't tell people until 48 hours before sailing when it was too late to pull out for 99.9% of people.

Celebrity only provided passengers about 12 hours notice of the decision not to go to Israel, not 48 hours.

Celebrity only provided passengers about 12 hours notice of the decision not to go to Israel, not 48 hours.

My apologies, I thought I recalled some people being told on the previous Friday just after 5pm (I remember thinking they waited until the High Street Travel Agents had closed for the night and Trading Standards would have gone for the weekend)

Edited by DYKWIA

It is actually 2nd attack in the same week.

Intelligence departments know of 3 other Isis cells that are highly active & there are high alerts for safety issues.

I live in a volatile country but things have accelerated in Turkey.

Turkey has Terrorist Tourism & is a hub for Europeans to reach Syria to join Isis.

Our Homeland security have warned citizens NOT to travel to Turkey & those that are there to return ASAP.

Edited by We-R-Off