ALL things Liberty of th Seas

Cruising Liberty of the Seas 4/1 -

Do we need to purchase tickets to Saturday Night Fever or how early should we show up?

Really was not crowded on our trip last night , could show up just before start, good show , but wish they change it since we have seen it twice

Sad to report that after 4 trips on the Liberty the Lobster Tails and seafood blowout on the last night in the windjammer is gone. They still had crab claws on Thursday night but not nearly as many as before. The only seafood they had in Windjammer on Saturday night was shrimp cocktail.

I will say they did have one night fresh made to order donuts and you picked what you wanted it topped with, tons to choose from. And every night they had really good made to order stir fry. You loaded your bowl with veggies and such, picked a protein or 2 and inform them how hot you wanted it.

Do you by chance remember how much lunch at Sabor was?

We sailed Liberty in January of this year, and it seems like it was about $21. Hubby signed the check, so I’m not 100% sure. I know not everybody likes Sabor, but we lunch there every cruise. Their signature margarita is very strong, but oh so tasty with the food!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my gosh! I've realized over the past week or so that most of the stuff I've read about Royal Caribbean doesn't apply to Liberty of the Seas. It's like the red-headed stepchild. It's the best of Royal Caribbean going out of Galveston and seemed pretty upgraded to me so imagine my surprise when 85% of the other threads are referring to the newest "class" of ships, or only mention Liberty of the Seas to say that the feature mentioned isn't included.

I actually did a search for "Liberty of the Seas," just so I could find info specific to the ship. Unfortunately not very many threads at all, and only a couple recent ones.

Anyway, thanks again to all contributing to this thread. It will be a good place for info but I must admit, my excitement has surely dwindled.

Oh my gosh! I've realized over the past week or so that most of the stuff I've read about Royal Caribbean doesn't apply to Liberty of the Seas. It's like the red-headed stepchild. It's the best of Royal Caribbean going out of Galveston and seemed pretty upgraded to me so imagine my surprise when 85% of the other threads are referring to the newest "class" of ships, or only mention Liberty of the Seas to say that the feature mentioned isn't included.

I actually did a search for "Liberty of the Seas," just so I could find info specific to the ship. Unfortunately not very many threads at all, and only a couple recent ones.

Anyway, thanks again to all contributing to this thread. It will be a good place for info but I must admit, my excitement has surely dwindled.

Shame you didn’t look for our social media page for Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas. You would hear what a great ship she is. She’s not in Oasis class, but we prefer her to ships in Quantum class, and she’s the most updated ship in the class in Freedom class. Try going with an open mind.

What is "most of the stuff" you've read that doesn't apply?

What are the shows and entertainers for April 22nd LOTS cruise? I can't find the info. I emailed for the details and have not gotten a reply.

Don't I need times to plan meals and serve tables around show times?

Thanks!

They will only be able to tell you the names of the shows and entertainers. They will not be able to tell you the show schedule. The only thing you can do is search for a recent Compass scan of the same ship and itinerary.

What are the shows and entertainers for April 22nd LOTS cruise? I can't find the info. I emailed for the details and have not gotten a reply.

Thanks!

It takes a week or two to get featured entertainer Info. We far as times, if you schedule your dining close to the times for regular dining times, shows will fit with no problem. The schedule is built around the two seated dining times.

2 Classic entertainers out of Galveston. Phil and Derek. These are two evenings (one each...at the bare minimum) you have to attend. Do not miss!!!!!

Phil is on right now until June 3. Derek has not been on a RC ship since 2015. He performs regularly in San Antonio

Shame you didn’t look for our social media page for Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas. You would hear what a great ship she is. She’s not in Oasis class, but we prefer her to ships in Quantum class, and she’s the most updated ship in the class in Freedom class. Try going with an open mind.

:D this is about as "social media" as I get, so you are correct, I definitely didn't look for another page. But given the number of results that come up when doing an internet search that point to Cruise Critic, I would expect more information to be available here. Heck, even the cruise line itself hosts a meet and greet for registered site members.

I am still going in with the attitude of having a great vacation but it was definitely an eye opener to find out from even the Royal Caribbean fans that this ship is not one of the ones people are always bragging about.

What is "most of the stuff" you've read that doesn't apply?

• I was told by the Royal Caribbean employee I booked with via phone that my inside cabin had a virtual balcony. It was not something I asked about, but she offered the information and went into great detail to describe it to me. I'd read about virtual views, but later found out that this ship doesn't even have them.
  • I read about the Star Class, got excited about it and looked into making the most out of the vacation and going all out....only to find out it's not even an option on this ship...neither are a lot of the different types of suites.
  • I also read about the dive act/show, just found out that isn't offered on Liberty of the Seas.
  • So many people went on and on about the variety of food on Royal Caribbean...only to find out it's very limited without paying extra.
  • Then a lot of price increases in the couple months since I booked it (Johnny Rockets, internet package - internet might not have increased recently but it is higher than what I was told. ).
  • Speaking of food, was truly shocked to read the opinion on the awfulness of the pizza! As well as shocked to see "loyals to royal" say that the steakhouse on Carnival is better than Chops. So if the fanboys say it about the pizza and steakhouse, I gotta take their word for it. By the way, still can't believe there's no free ice cream unless it's offered for dessert in the main dining room.

• I thought for sure that this ship has the DJ Scratch Academy, but I don't see it listed any more.
  • I read that there are a lot of things I should do far in advance in cruise planner...then found out it won't even open this far ahead (9 months).
  • Then some cool features that I thought were standard like the zip line, I think I was seeing the rock wall and grouping them together. Thought the robotic bartender would be a cool experience as well...but not gonna see that either.
  • Another is the waterslide, I can't believe how many people post about how slow and pointless it is LOL. It sounds like they want to be very very safe for all ages so I understand...but still I was surprised to hear it.
  • Lots of difficulty on applying a gift card to payment and taking advantage of a better promotion.

These are just things I was surprised to read...obviously I have not cancelled so it it didn't make me jump ship (see what I did there ;)

But again, things that I didn't expect given a lot of the pompous comments I'd seen about why other lines are sub-par. So many rankings put Royal Caribbean as the absolute best overall cruise experience since it has the fun family aspect as well as luxury (according to the articles, blogs, etc.).

Sad to report that after 4 trips on the Liberty the Lobster Tails and seafood blowout on the last night in the windjammer is gone. They still had crab claws on Thursday night but not nearly as many as before. The only seafood they had in Windjammer on Saturday night was shrimp cocktail.

Oh darn, you just answered my question about the seafood buffet.

We'll be on the Liberty in Oct. and wanted to experience that seafood buffet. We're bummed.

So now we have to choose between crab legs or shrimp. 1st world problems!

• I was told by the Royal Caribbean employee I booked with via phone that my inside cabin had a virtual balcony. It was not something I asked about, but she offered the information and went into great detail to describe it to me. I'd read about virtual views, but later found out that this ship doesn't even have them.
  • I read about the Star Class, got excited about it and looked into making the most out of the vacation and going all out....only to find out it's not even an option on this ship...neither are a lot of the different types of suites.
  • I also read about the dive act/show, just found out that isn't offered on Liberty of the Seas.
  • So many people went on and on about the variety of food on Royal Caribbean...only to find out it's very limited without paying extra.
  • Then a lot of price increases in the couple months since I booked it (Johnny Rockets, internet package - internet might not have increased recently but it is higher than what I was told. ).
  • Speaking of food, was truly shocked to read the opinion on the awfulness of the pizza! As well as shocked to see "loyals to royal" say that the steakhouse on Carnival is better than Chops. So if the fanboys say it about the pizza and steakhouse, I gotta take their word for it. By the way, still can't believe there's no free ice cream unless it's offered for dessert in the main dining room.

• I thought for sure that this ship has the DJ Scratch Academy, but I don't see it listed any more.
  • I read that there are a lot of things I should do far in advance in cruise planner...then found out it won't even open this far ahead (9 months).
  • Then some cool features that I thought were standard like the zip line, I think I was seeing the rock wall and grouping them together. Thought the robotic bartender would be a cool experience as well...but not gonna see that either.
  • Another is the waterslide, I can't believe how many people post about how slow and pointless it is LOL. It sounds like they want to be very very safe for all ages so I understand...but still I was surprised to hear it.
  • Lots of difficulty on applying a gift card to payment and taking advantage of a better promotion.

These are just things I was surprised to read...obviously I have not cancelled so it it didn't make me jump ship (see what I did there ;)

But again, things that I didn't expect given a lot of the pompous comments I'd seen about why other lines are sub-par. So many rankings put Royal Caribbean as the absolute best overall cruise experience since it has the fun family aspect as well as luxury (according to the articles, blogs, etc.).

I think a lot of these things are subjective, food being number one. I've always enjoyed the food and thought it was good regardless of the venue (I've never eaten anywhere but the MDR for dinner) and the pizza is better than people give it credit for. There's definitely free soft serve.

You obviously saw the classes they advertise most with all the latest things to do. I guess there isn't a way to know it's not on your ship if you're new to Royal unless you do some digging. The employee saying you had a virtual balcony is really strange though.

I can't speak for the Liberty slides specifically, but I did the Adventure slides a number of times which I believe are the same thing. If you listen to the crew and don't sling yourself at all, I could see them being slower. But I thought they were a blast and my buddies and I would have races. From looking at recent Cruise Compases that people have posted, it doesn't look like they have a Scratch Academy DJ onboard but that doesn't mean the DJ isn't great. We've had both ends where we couldn't get into much that they were playing and then the other end where I never wanted to get off the dancefloor because everything they were mixing was fire.

I normally don't do the extra-cost items just because there's so much to do that doesn't cost a dime and is tons of fun (we do get the drink package though and definitely make use of it ;p). All I can say is keep an open mind, don't go looking for the bad things, and you'll have a great time. I know it's obvious but sometimes people need to be reminded! I know I cannot wait for our cruise on the Liberty - she's going to be a blast.

Thanks!

I haven’t seen you on our roll call for April 22, come join us if you’d like. https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/liberty-of-the-seas-april-22-2018/

I think a lot of these things are subjective, food being number one. I've always enjoyed the food and thought it was good regardless of the venue (I've never eaten anywhere but the MDR for dinner) and the pizza is better than people give it credit for. There's definitely free soft serve.

You obviously saw the classes they advertise most with all the latest things to do. I guess there isn't a way to know it's not on your ship if you're new to Royal unless you do some digging. The employee saying you had a virtual balcony is really strange though.

I can't speak for the Liberty slides specifically, but I did the Adventure slides a number of times which I believe are the same thing. If you listen to the crew and don't sling yourself at all, I could see them being slower. But I thought they were a blast and my buddies and I would have races. From looking at recent Cruise Compases that people have posted, it doesn't look like they have a Scratch Academy DJ onboard but that doesn't mean the DJ isn't great. We've had both ends where we couldn't get into much that they were playing and then the other end where I never wanted to get off the dancefloor because everything they were mixing was fire.

I normally don't do the extra-cost items just because there's so much to do that doesn't cost a dime and is tons of fun (we do get the drink package though and definitely make use of it ;p). All I can say is keep an open mind, don't go looking for the bad things, and you'll have a great time. I know it's obvious but sometimes people need to be reminded! I know I cannot wait for our cruise on the Liberty - she's going to be a blast.

Thank you so much for the response and for addressing everything. I did some research and several publications listed Liberty as top 5 in the Royal ships, others had it pretty high among several cruise lines. So, again, I thought a lot of things were just kind of part of the brand.

As far as the "Scratch Academy DJ," it is supposed to be a fun class in a club-type atmosphere to learn how to DJ and it's geared towards teens/tweens. I think it started at age 12 and our son will be 11 on the cruise, but I thought maybe the kids club would take them and he'd really enjoy that. Who knows, after this cruise we might be some new loyals to royal (already love my KC Royals) and then I'll book on one of the other ships in the future. I really like Anthem and love that it stays in Bermuda for up to 3 days so I was already looking at that. I guess it was good I didn't realize all of this until after I booked otherwise I would've went for Anthem next January, not realizing until a few days ago as I read another thread that cruising out of NYC during the harshest winter months does not make for the most pleasant cruise. So another blessing in disguise.

Also nice to see that you say there is an element of fun concerning dancing. I wasn't sure what to expect there either. I saw one venue was more of a makeshift club...common area by day, club at night. And then the others were noted as restaurant/lounges. The restaurant/lounge is good for groups or couples, but not so much if solo.

I am still excited about going and can't wait to see the ship and get a feel for RC, the guests and the atmosphere in general. I avoided cruising for many years because I couldn't imagine subjecting myself to being in one place the size of a large hotel with thousands of other people... and even worse, only getting to spend a few hours in the other countries we visit. It didn't help that I could fly roundtrip and stay in luxury hotels for up to a week at a time and spend less than $100 for three of us. But, my son has been asking to cruise plus my perks are not as great now as they were, so we tried out cruising in January. It was Carnival Breeze and we had a fantastic time! Even enjoyed my few hours in each port and loved the people I came in contact with. This was my first time cruising in 20 years and I knew a lot of things were not going to be included any more, but the experience was sure a fun surprise for someone who avoided cruises like they're the mall the weekend before Christmas! (((shudders)))

Oh yeah, and big sigh of relief from my son knowing there is free soft-serve anytime! LOL

Does anyone have info on the Arcade on the Liberty? Do they run specials, or should I buy credits on sale before I go? How much are games on average? My son is looking forward to the Arcade, so I am hoping it is a good one. I have seen mixed reviews on other ships, but hoping Liberty has a decent arcade.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa