The Pearl - The Naked Truth

Va. Plumber

DW and I left home on Saturday 3/12 to fly to Miami two days early. The airport is about 70 miles from home. As we were loading bags onto parking shuttle bus, she noticed that we were one bag short. We only had one large suitcase and a smaller one. The night before she had transferred some clothes from each of the two big bags into the smaller one. She was very upset as we did not have time to drive home to retrieve the other one. She became less upset when she discovered it was my bag containing 80% of my clothes for a 12 day trip. I was left with two changes of underwear, no socks, one polo shirt, three pairs of trousers and one pair of shorts.

During a Saturday evening foray to Bayside Marketplace, I discovered they don't have any stores catering to 70 year-old fat men. I was able to find some underwear, socks, a couple of polos, two pair of shorts and a couple of regular shirts. Thank God NCL offers the $19.95 laundry bag deal. I barely survived. Fortunately the laundry came back two days earlier than advertised. I guess it was cheaper to replace my clothes than buy DW a new wardrobe.

Did learn two things: Next time cross pack. Also you can get by with fewer clothes than you think you can.

As for the cruise itself, we were on the 10 night Panama Canal trip. We loved it. I had booked a guaranteed balcony which I had never chanced before. My cabin assignment came relatively early. Cabin 8018 was a hull balcony near the bow. I was concerned, plus it was directly over the Stardust Theater. Turned out it was not a problem. The cabin was spacious and noise free, plus the balcony had the added benefit of the hull framework as a foot rest while lounging.

I signed up to coordinate the Meet & Greet. We had over 60 people show up to meet the Captain, Hotel Director, Cruise Director and several other department heads. You may wonder how much clout cruise critic has. Apparently quite a bit. The Hotel Director announced that he wanted us to meet again on the last sea day with him and other officers to get our feedback about the cruise. I had never experienced this before. They seemed very interested in our comments and took lots of notes. As it turns out, there were very few complaints.

At the first meeting I asked the Cruise Director about the possibility of getting the television feed for March Madness. She said she would look into it, but there were contractual and logistic issues involved. Sure enough, come Thursday we had NCAA basketball. When I thanked her before the last meeting, she gave me all the credit. Not only was it broadcast on the Pearl, but it was on fleetwide. Whether true or not, I'll take the credit.

Chalk this one up to Cruisers Do The Dumbest Things: We were lounging on Deck 13 above the pool on the second day. You all know about the drapery -like cover that they place on the foot of the bed. There was a woman by the pool using one as a bathing suit cover up. Go figure!

I'll close for now. the ship, staff, food and ports to follow.

Thanks so much for the positive review!

Will be on the Pearl the end of September and sooo looking forward to being spoiled.

When we were on the Jewel last September the hotel director saw the name tags that DD made up for our m/g he commented how nice they were. Even went so far as to send us both chocolate covered strawberries. Yum!

And yes they do read the boards here on CC. :)

One consolation upon arriving home from the cruise there will be a lot less

laundry to do and fresh clean clothes awaiting you.

Note to remind self about the next cruise to pack carefully -

You made the mistake of not accounting for your luggage and clothes -

If you travel by air what if the airlines screw up and mishandle your baggage

and your clothes can't be mated with you before sailing?

The cross packing of clothes is a useful alternative to salvaging the issue but

not the solution you want overall.

This doesn't happen all that often but put the idea on the back burner when

planning so you don't have to have PANIC plans in the mill !

Thanks for the review so far. I just love the Pearl. The Hotel Director did the second meeting on the last three Pearl cruises I was on and I thought it was a great idea. The Pearl just goes that little extra mile, like the CD getting you the basketball games and I think that is why it is my favorite NCL ship.

...You may wonder how much clout cruise critic has. Apparently quite a bit. The Hotel Director announced that he wanted us to meet again on the last sea day with him and other officers to get our feedback about the cruise. I had never experienced this before. They seemed very interested in our comments and took lots of notes. As it turns out, there were very few complaints.....

I think this really is a "Pearl thing". Makes this ship special!

(Who was your hotel director, btw? Still Tony Rosa?)

Edited by quercus alba

To Answer Some Questions:

Fortunately, it was the cloth not the plastic (OUCH!)

The Hotel Director: Cary Turecamo

Concierge: Suzana Barjramovic

Cruise Director: Soozy Atkins

Captain: Paul Von Knorring

Talked with Captain one evening. He said he was on a ten week rotation,

so it's the luck of the draw two or three months from now. He lives in Florida. His wife was sailing with him. He said she generally sails once during each rotation. Don't know but assume some rotations may be

longer as you go down the chain of command. I think some of waiters and stewards may work 3 or 4 month tours.

Something I found interesting was that NCL pays crew roundtrip airfare

to go home on break. Definitely would like to have NCL's frequent flier

miles account.

To Answer Some Questions:

Fortunately, it was the cloth not the plastic (OUCH!)

The Hotel Director: Cary Turecamo

Concierge: Suzana Barjramovic

Cruise Director: Soozy Atkins

Captain: Paul Von Knorring

Talked with Captain one evening. He said he was on a ten week rotation,

so it's the luck of the draw two or three months from now. He lives in Florida. His wife was sailing with him. He said she generally sails once during each rotation. Don't know but assume some rotations may be

longer as you go down the chain of command. I think some of waiters and stewards may work 3 or 4 month tours.

Something I found interesting was that NCL pays crew roundtrip airfare

to go home on break. Definitely would like to have NCL's frequent flier

miles account.

You are correct regarding the Captains working 10 week rotations. However, the waitstaff and stewards normally work eight month contracts and take two months off before returning. The Hotel Directors and other officers normally have four month contracts and some range to six months depending on their positions.

What kind of activities were held in the Atrium?

Did they show any movies in the theater or anywhere else?

Were the games such as Not so Newlywed, etc in the larger lounge or in the Atrium?

Is there a O'Sheehans or something similar?

Was there a lot of kids or spring breakers onboard or a lot more older cruisers?

Did you feel this cruise was more casual than others?

Thanks for reviewing I've been waiting for some Panama Canal reviews since last June.

Since we were on the same cruise, I am really grateful you were able to find some clothes. Although, we could've shared some of my husbands with you. I told him he wasn't taking enough clothes so I added a "few" extra things, none of which he wore. I'm really looking forward to your review. We had a great time and really enjoyed going through the Panama Canal. There were a couple of odd things that happened so I'm curious to see if these were things you noticed as well.