Express Disembarkation with Toddler - CRAZY?

jubjubjulie

Hi All,

Newbie here.. so will be Cruising RCI Oasis of the Seas May 21-28 2016 with my husband and 3 yr old son. Our return flight is 11:30am from FLL. Do we need to do Express Disembarkation? Is it possible with a toddler to walk off the ship with a stroller, two luggage's and 2 carryons or are we crazy to even think that would be possible?:confused:

What time should we disembark the ship to catch our flight on time? We are currently looking into private transfers

Hi All,

Newbie here.. so will be Cruising RCI Oasis of the Seas May 21-28 2016 with my husband and 3 yr old son. Our return flight is 11:30am from FLL. Do we need to do Express Disembarkation? Is it possible with a toddler to walk off the ship with a stroller, two luggage's and 2 carryons or are we crazy to even think that would be possible?:confused:

What time should we disembark the ship to catch our flight on time? We are currently looking into private transfers

Considering your situation, I would not try the self-assist disembarkation. If you get one of the first luggage tags, you should be able to get off the ship around 8:30am.

Scroll down on this post to see the disembarkation flyer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48336999&postcount=66

I'd visit Guest Services early in the cruise and request an early luggage tag number.

With that much luggage I wouldn't try self-debark even without a 3yr old.

As suggested.....get an early luggage tag.....when you go to claim your luggage grab a porter and let him get you through customs and to a cab. Don't forget to give him a tip....it truly is worth it!

Have a great cruise!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

With that much luggage I wouldn't try self-debark even without a 3yr old.

As suggested.....get an early luggage tag.....when you go to claim your luggage grab a porter and let him get you through customs and to a cab. Don't forget to give him a tip....it truly is worth it!

Have a great cruise!!

Excellent idea to grab a porter.:) Sometimes the porter helps with the customs line too.

For your flight regular debarkation should be fine - just request being assigned to an early group.

If you seriously consider self debarkation, you should try it out by going to a crowded mall with as many pieces of luggage, strollers, toddler, etc. as you plan to cruise with -take elevators, escalators, negotiate the crowds ---and see how the "dress rehearsal" goes.

If you seriously consider self debarkation, you should try it out by going to a crowded mall with as many pieces of luggage, strollers, toddler, etc. as you plan to cruise with -take elevators, escalators, negotiate the crowds ---and see how the "dress rehearsal" goes.

This may be the single best piece of advice I've ever read on these boards.

Agree that standard disembarkation with an early departure request will allow more than enough time for that flight. And as to transportation, a regular cab is all that is necessary.

I also agree, don't waste time calling for your shuttle and waiting for them to arrive, just hop in a cab and go.

Have you considered putting your toddler into a backpack style carrier? That way one of you could carry your little one, yet your hands are still free to hold luggage handles (stack your carry-on on top of your suitcase), and hold onto the escalator, etc. I would also use bungee cords to strap the stroller (it is a small umbrella-type stroller, isn't it?) onto the luggage, making it 1 less thing to worry about.

We are in the process of planning a trip to Japan with our son, daughter-in-law and 1 year old grandson, so figuring out all the toddler-friendly travel scenarios are hot topics around our house.

Let us know what you decide.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are not bringing our car seat which is why we need to look into a private shuttle that provides car seats as cabs do not have them, hence we cannot take a cab. Add a car seat to everything we have to carry then it would definitely be impossible to self-disembark.

We were thinking of doing the self-disembark simply because we are concerned if we took the first time scheduled off Oasis (I believe it is 8:15), with any delays in customs and waiting for the Royal Caribbean transfer bus to fill up, we could be late. I'm not American so this is not a domestic flight so won't I have to check in 2-3 hours in advance?