Back from the Royal..just being brutally honest

blueseas4me2

We just booked a cruise today on the Royal for next January. The only thing that we are a bit apprehensive about is all the negative comments about the teeny weenie balconies. Our favorite thing to do on a cruise is spend time on our balcony, reading, enjoying wine and cheese etc. Now I'm wondering if we will even be able to use the balcony with all the negative comment about how small they are!

Anyone?? :eek:

We just booked a cruise today on the Royal for next January. The only thing that we are a bit apprehensive about is all the negative comments about the teeny weenie balconies. Our favorite thing to do on a cruise is spend time on our balcony, reading, enjoying wine and cheese etc. Now I'm wondering if we will even be able to use the balcony with all the negative comment about how small they are!

Not to worry. Yes, they're smaller, but I've read that people could do an ultimate balcony dinner on them... might be a bit tight, however, not a big deal.

There are some balconies that are bigger on the Royal but you'll have to do your research to find them.

We are huge lovers of our balcony. We enjoyed both the Royal and Regal balconies. It's perfect for reading and relaxing. We also sat out there with glasses of wine in the evening. It's small but sufficient.

The first time I experienced the small balconies I was set back a little but in actuality they're still sufficient to enjoy the view. I wouldn't say having a full dinner would be OK but for sitting there enjoying a drink during the day, they're fine.

We still managed to have a small breakfast on occasion without to much crowding although a slightly larger table would have made things easier.

Many other things on the ship make up for the deficiency in balcony space.

The first time I experienced the small balconies I was set back a little but in actuality they're still sufficient to enjoy the view. I wouldn't say having a full dinner would be OK but for sitting there enjoying a drink during the day, they're fine.

We still managed to have a small breakfast on occasion without to much crowding although a slightly larger table would have made things easier.

Many other things on the ship make up for the deficiency in balcony space.

Thanks all you positive people out there! Looking forward to our experience on the Royal! Are there any secret decks or places that you can go like the forward deck doors on the Island and Coral etc?

///

Sitting on my chair, I was unable to see the water because my view consisted of endless blue clam shells.

cays.jpg

////

Thanks to the OP for posting the picture of the clamshells. Being an Alaskan, I'be had no idea what they were when mentioned on these boards. The set up on the beach looks hideous.

I couldn't sit here and read all the comments, I barely made it to bottom of page 1 and that was enough for me. Artickitty you said:

Midway through the week I realized that maybe Royal Class is not for us. I was missing the Grand class ships and wondering why it's a good idea to double the amount of passengers who go on vacation with me.

It's called "profit." 4,000 passengers is a lot of money. Princess is somewhat interested in making you happy with the experience, but the bottom line is money. Princess butchered the Island Princess to add more cabins and as a result, I refuse to step foot back onto that ship. With all the complaints of the Island, they decided not to butcher the Coral Princess. We leave in a couple of weeks on the Coral. We prefer the smaller ships and probably won't cruise on the larger ones. 4,000 passengers is a bit much for us and at Spring break no thank you, not even on the smaller ships.

I didn't find your review brutal at all, it was your experience and nothing more.

I don't know if its all profit.... Is there a particular reason why some should have a "clamshell" and others not? Maybe they should only be sold to the first 25 elites so that all the underlings don't interfere with those important folks beach day experience...............

///

////

Thanks to the OP for posting the picture of the clamshells. Being an Alaskan, I'be had no idea what they were when mentioned on these boards. The set up on the beach looks hideous.

Yes- it IS hideous. Simple umbrellas would provide shade without causing such a terrible view.

I don't know if its all profit.... Is there a particular reason why some should have a "clamshell" and others not? Maybe they should only be sold to the first 25 elites so that all the underlings don't interfere with those important folks beach day experience...............

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Should I be reading it as sarcasm?

Properly spacing the ugly things would help solve part of the problem. Eliminating them and instead using umbrellas would completely solve it.

That's a great point. How are clamshells better than umbrellas? It makes no sense at all.

I think it makes sense if you consider potential weather conditions and the amount of manual labor involved in setting up/taking down the equipment.

I live on a beach in South Florida with a number of hotels and resorts nearby. They all have clamshells and a couple have additional umbrellas. From my personal observations, the clamshells are much sturdier than the umbrellas in the wind. Some hotels will bring out umbrellas but only on an exceedingly calm day. Umbrellas need to be taken down every evening, stored inside, and reinstalled each morning while clamshells just need to be folded closed in the evening and reopened in the morning so the workload is much less (and faster) with the clamshells.

Edited by capriccio

The OP was stating her opinion of her experience. I was on same trip amd would consider it in the too three of my forty plus cruises. The only comment I would make regarding original post is that although there was a long line for the tender at that time, it moved rather quickly, and there WERE several water stations, as well as an attendant handing out ice cold wash cloths to keep you cool while in line. I noticed this because I had my 76 year old mother in the line with me.

I have been on both Royal and Regal..last fall we did Princess Cays and the lines for the lunch just went on and on, and if you forgot something, heaven forbid, you go back and "cut" the line to retrieve it. By the time we got the food, then finding someplace to sit was interesting...luckily we found space at the tables, but the people before us must have just gotten out of the water, as the benches were soaking wet.

As for returning to ship, you know if 3000 people got off, 3000 people are getting back on, and usually at the same time. The line went back so far, you couldn't even see the end of it. It just seemed like you spent your last hour+ waiting in line.

But it is what it is, that's not going to change wherever you have to tender.

I have been on both Royal and Regal..last fall we did Princess Cays and the lines for the lunch just went on and on, and if you forgot something, heaven forbid, you go back and "cut" the line to retrieve it. By the time we got the food, then finding someplace to sit was interesting...luckily we found space at the tables, but the people before us must have just gotten out of the water, as the benches were soaking wet.

As for returning to ship, you know if 3000 people got off, 3000 people are getting back on, and usually at the same time. The line went back so far, you couldn't even see the end of it. It just seemed like you spent your last hour+ waiting in line.

But it is what it is, that's not going to change wherever you have to tender.

It about time that allow priority boarding to the Elite. :cool:

My view, possibly the same cruise March 23, 2016 Royal Princess 10 nights. This was the most beautiful ship we have sailed upon of 32 cruises. I'm a Celebrity fan, with Princess a solid 2nd (only negative is their average balcony cabin does not have a sofa or love seat). I found the buffet to be wonderful this trip and never had an issue with crowds. Maybe it was timing for us as there were some lines but no big issues. Food was hot, plentiful and a wonderful variety at breakfast and lunch. Loved the service for silverware and beverages, too. Also found the alternate FREE luncheon areas like the International Café and Alfredo's plus the Pub Lunch at the Crown Grill to offer alternatives at lunchtime. Our Anytime dining reservation originally had a mix up but rude passengers said they were from "my cabin number" and took our reservation for 10 top table. It was handled very quickly and fixed for the remaining nights of the week.

Our ports of call were as expected although we were called the Late Royal Princess. Under the circumstances, we were glad to get to each port of call. We had a few medical emergencies including a death from a heart attack at a beach tour. It rained heavily at Dominica, so we made that a ship/sea day as well as our shortened stop in Grenada. I got off to buy my spices and went back up to enjoy the pool in the bright sunshine. Princess Cays (spoken at Keys) was delightful and just as I imagined it from a few years past. We found 8 benches close to one another and enjoyed the well organized buffet BBQ. We headed back about 1:30 with no issues, but I do understand the lines got long shortly after that.

Shows, entertainment (Korey Simon) etc. were all very good. Of course it is my opinion and I am on vacation so am easily pleased with people cleaning my room and making my bed, feeding me throughout the day and providing me with adult beverages upon request, who wouldn't love cruising! I can't wait to cruise again. Watch out Celebrity, I'll be comparing you to Princess next time.

Edited by Nanatravel

It about time that allow priority boarding to the Elite. :cool:

Are you referring to embarkation or tender boarding? I am elite and have never thought of priority boarding, when I am ready to return, I just stand in line with everyone else waiting my turn.

Are you referring to embarkation or tender boarding? I am elite and have never thought of priority boarding, when I am ready to return, I just stand in line with everyone else waiting my turn.

I referring to priority boarding for return to the ship.

It would be nice. :D

I referring to priority boarding for return to the ship.

It would be nice. :D

That would be interesting to see that, most cruises I have been on, it seems the majority of pax are platinum and elite, which would make that line longer.

That would be interesting to see that, most cruises I have been on, it seems the majority of pax are platinum and elite, which would make that line longer.

It could work similar to the Platinum/Elite line at check-in or the Elite line at the PSD. Pick the shortest line at the time.