Back from the Royal..just being brutally honest

blueseas4me2

Overall, the cruise was GOOD. Weather (not that the cruiseline is responsible) was perfect but a little windy. Food was plentiful and I have no complaints. Everything was delicious.

However, I disembarked with a very...perplexed feeling. :rolleyes:

It was my second cruise on a Royal class ship. Even so, I never got the hang of the layout. I still accidentally took the aft elevator to the dead end spot by the dining room and I wondered for the 14th time why the elevator doesn't simply LABEL this button as being for that dining room. Seems like it would be an easy fix.

I realize it was Spring Break and I have no complaints about the fellow passengers. There were a lot of us. The ship was bursting at the seams and the staff was taxed to their max. Honestly, everyone was great. It was just a lot of people. 4000 people is a lot any way you slice it. For example, it was impossible to be in the pool without someone physically touching you here and there because there's only so much space and, as I said, 4000 people is a lot.

I was looking forward to Movies Under the Stars. It was very windy the first few nights. The fountain show got a bunch of chairs (and people) very wet. I can't say anyone was enjoying the show and I wonder why the crew didn't skip it considering the conditions.

I guess I did have one fellow passenger complaint. Isn't it common sense to be quiet when others are watching a movie? Shouldn't the parents instruct their children to be respectful? My husband had to go ask a group to please stop talking so loudly.

Midway through the week I realized that maybe Royal Class is not for us. I was missing the Grand class ships and wondering why it's a good idea to double the amount of passengers who go on vacation with me.

Our visit to Princess Cays ...(for the love of God, is it KEYS or KAYS?)...our day there sealed the deal for us. Oh...MY...GOD. What has Princess done to that island? It used to be our favorite stop. We loved a simple, no-fuss, beach day with lunch provided for us. Now it's just like going to a cheap amusement park with a wave pool.

The STAFF for the rental equipment was rude to everyone. Are they employees of Princess? They were consistently awful. Here's how my conversation went:

"Do you have floating chairs to rent?"

"$9.95. Fill this out."

I filled out the form and gave my room key. She handed it back.

"Ova there." She nodded her head toward the side of the building.

I walked around and see chairs. "Do I take one of these?"

She grunted something at me.

I saw similar exchanges except one lady who wanted two chairs. She asked if she could pay cash and handed the girl $20. No paperwork was filled out for that rental. (hmmmm)

The restrooms each had an attendant at the door but they appeared to do nothing. Stalls went without toilet paper and nothing was cleaned while we were there.

Sitting on my chair, I was unable to see the water because my view consisted of endless blue clam shells.

cays.jpg

I wonder if the $30 Princess is making for each shell is worth spoiling the overall experience of being at a Caribbean beach? They ought to be limiting the number of shells rented and they should be staggered in placement.

Then we endured the nightmare of tendering back to the ship. 4000 people and they decided it was a good idea to use only a couple tenders? I've never seen a tender line as long as this one. We got in line just before 2:00 and it was after 3:00 when we boarded. The sun was hot, there was no shade or water in sight. I was concerned for the elderly and for those with young babies. I'm shocked that Princess thinks this is acceptable.

Safe to say we will never visit Princess Cays again.

I don't think Regal class is for us. It's just too many people and it taxes all the resources. I feel badly for the staff who are working so hard to make the experience good for all these people. By the last day I was yearning for a trip on the Caribbean Princess....sigh.

I saw the post about two more Royal class ships and I was sad. We might cruise one of those again...maybe. But it's not our first choice.

One more thing: We had a LOVELY dinner at the Crown grill.

Edited by blueseas4me2

Thanks for the posting. That was not quite our experience on the Regal on our Dec. 2014 cruise. I suspect the time of the year might make the overall experience a little different.

As far as the layout of the ship and the elevators to the rear dinning room, it is not any different than the Grand class ships. The Regal and the Royal are more the same than different than those ships in that regard (I know, no full Promenade all the way around, just referring to the dinning rooms).

BTW, as far as the clam shells on Princess Cay, why complain about the up charge as you seemed to have found the free shaded area as we did, too (guessing because of your picture). Why worry about paying for shade when there is free shade. BTW, if the view is an issue, just stand up once in a while. :D

As far as our choices of ships, yes, the Royal/Regal class ships will be a definite first choice for us. Sorry to hear that you experience was not the best.

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

Wow! So many complaints! Amazing!

You may want to get to Princess Cays early to get a good seat...

Was there anything ok besides your Crown Grill dinner, or was that it? Please, a little something positive?

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

It was my second cruise on a Royal class ship. Even so, I never got the hang of the layout. I still accidentally took the aft elevator to the dead end spot by the dining room and I wondered for the 14th time why the elevator doesn't simply LABEL this button as being for that dining room.

On Ruby (I think) there was a lock inside the elevators that

disabled deck six. Before dinner service, someone would

unlock the button.

They also had velvet ropes across the stairs from deck 7 to deck 6.

Seemed like a good idea. People are always trying to get

to deck five, and want to just 'walk down'.

Thanks for an honest review of the Royal. I'm assuming that most things that weren't commented on were OK & you're just reporting on the items that caused concerns. It gets tiring (and not at all helpful) to keep reading reports that just say "everything was great".

Spring break is what it is and they do the best they can under the circumstances.

The wet chairs has always been a problem with the wind conditions and skipping the water show (which they often do) leads to complaints. Can't please everyone.

Princess Cays-- The people who work there (other than the waiters an crew at the food areas) are employed locally & don't have the same attitude at those on the ship. We don't usually deal with them & when we do have found the same attitude. With all the people there that day it doesn't surprise me that the rest rooms were dirty.

Clam Shells-- Getting to the beach early in the day at least lets you select a chair that isn't blocked.

Running extra tenders wouldn't help getting back any water since loading & unloading is what holds up the process. The only solution is leaving shortly after lunch or having Princess renting larger tenders locally.

I appreciate your honest review. It helps to hear BOTH positive and negative opinions from travelers. It assists future travelers to make informed decisions based on both opinions.

Again...I appreciated your honesty. Thank you.

OP, ignore the snarky comments. You never said you were doing a full review, and I see nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts about some things that didn't go the way you wanted, or hoped. Thanks for writing - I appreciate all reviews, good, bad, and even the indifferent ones.

It was just a lot of people. 4000 people is a lot any way you slice it. For example, it was impossible to be in the pool without someone physically touching you here and there because there's only so much space and, as I said, 4000 people is a lot.

Thanks for the honest review - a bit off topic, but I needed to see your above comment.

RCCL is moving the monster Oasis to Port Canaveral, 40 minutes from my home. I have never considered this ship for the same reasoning - 6000 people is a LOT, way too many for me to share my vacation with.

Fans say "oh you never feel crowded"...but really, how can that be?

Your comment reminded me that it will need to be a seriously great, once in a lifetime cheap deal to get me on that ship.

OK, back to Princess matters.

One thing I don't understand is the constant conversations about Deck 6, the dining room aft, trouble finding it, aft stairs or elevator not going to Deck 5. This is not new, ships have been this way for years.

I'm on the Regal for 25 days soon and can't wait to see for myself as I haven't been on one of the bigger ships.

Responding to a couple of the comments:

- I did not complain about the cost of the clam shells. $30 is peanuts. I complained about the horrible view it creates for anyone who didn't get onto the first couple tenders to get to the island.

- We got to the island as early as possible with a group of 7 people.

- I cruised the Royal during spring break 2 yrs ago. This cruise (and Princess Cays) felt much for confined. Princess Cays has changed and we miss the old days.

I'm not certain why I was criticized/chastised for sharing my thoughts. We will be platinum on our next cruise. We love Princess. We are just not fans of these huge ships. Maybe a cruise that's not on Spring break will be better.

I don't think you were being anything but honest in your opinions and thoughts…and i appreciate that. i thought that was one of the purposes of this site….

Like you, we are not big fans of the regal class ships (other than the buffet layout which is the BEST)…

Wow! So many complaints! Amazing!

You may want to get to Princess Cays early to get a good seat...

Was there anything ok besides your Crown Grill dinner, or was that it? Please, a little something positive?

How would getting to Princess Cays early resolve the hour + wait to get a tender back.

OP - thanks for your reviews. I've been on the Royal three times (for a total of 60 days) and I share some of your observations. Overall, the positives greatly outweighed the negatives and I will be cruising on her again in several months. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Responding to a couple of the comments:

- I did not complain about the cost of the clam shells. $30 is peanuts. I complained about the horrible view it creates for anyone who didn't get onto the first couple tenders to get to the island.

I'll complain about the cost. :D It's outrageous to charge $30 for something that should be free. They're to hot anyway especially when there's free natural shade all around for free. Most of the blocked views are towards the right after exiting the tenders.

- We got to the island as early as possible with a group of 7 people.

You should have went by yourself as early as possible & reserved chairs for the group.

- I cruised the Royal during spring break 2 yrs ago. This cruise (and Princess Cays) felt much for confined. Princess Cays has changed and we miss the old days.

You just hit an exceptionally bad year for spring break. I read about the Emerald & it was even worse.

I'm not certain why I was criticized/chastised for sharing my thoughts. We will be platinum on our next cruise. We love Princess. We are just not fans of these huge ships. Maybe a cruise that's not on Spring break will be better.

Because it's cruise CRITIC and it's expected. :rolleyes:

Even with the drawbacks of the larger ships they're still better than some of the downfalls of the older ships....various problems with AC, hot water, food, etc. I was once a major critic of the new design but have come to change my opinion after going back & experiencing some of the current problems on older ships.

OP - thanks for your reviews. I've been on the Royal three times (for a total of 60 days) and I share some of your observations. Overall, the positives greatly outweighed the negatives and I will be cruising on her again in several months. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Same here. As good as the older ships are the Royal is still better even with the "few" negatives.

To the OP...just ignore the snarky remarks...CC is for people to express their opinions and that is what you did. Every cruise brings different expectations for each person. We are doing the Royal, first time soon, so I appreciate you taking the time to review honestly. I like to read both sides and decide for myself.

I guess some people having nothing better to do than read posts and write an argumentative response:rolleyes: