Koningsdam - glass outside stairway?

DaveOKC

I understand that the Koningsdam has an outside stairway that has a glass bottom and extends out from the ship, so that you can see the ocean below you.

Does anyone know where on the ship this is located? Further, does it block any of the cabins below it?

I understand that the Koningsdam has an outside stairway that has a glass bottom and extends out from the ship, so that you can see the ocean below you.

Does anyone know where on the ship this is located? Further, does it block any of the cabins below it?

Two hours ago she was off the coast of Dubrovnik.

Whoops I thought you meant the ship sorry!

Edited by mllewis48

It goes from the Panorama deck (10) down to the Lido deck (9) ... or from the Tamarind down to the Sea View Pool. It would be above cabins in the area of 8164/8168 and 8177/8181. I can see where it might block the skyward view from those cabins.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=ko&deck=pa&deep=0

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=ko&deck=l&deep=0

Edited by catl331

It goes from the Panorama deck (10) down to the Lido deck (9) ... or from the Tamarind down to the Sea View Pool. It would be above cabins in the area of 8164/8168 and 8177/8179. I can see where it might block the skyward view from those cabins.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=ko&deck=pa&deep=0

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=ko&deck=l&deep=0

Thanks! That makes sense now (going from the Tamarind to Sea View Pool). My cabin is on deck 8 but more mid-ship, so I will not be impacted.

Here is a pic from Captain Albert's Blog of the steps. I can't imagine that the steps would be open much while at sea as I would think that ocean spray would render them quite slippery and a hazard for falls. Edit to add: I was just looking at some pics of the ship and it does appear that these steps are enclosed in glass. Ocean spray on the steps should not be a problem.

As you can see though, the steps are over the side of the ship.

1040127342_GlassStepKDam.jpg.ea6341eb700ce85802efab1eda11f337.jpg

Edited by cbr663

Just my opinion: HAL must keep up with Princess. They have two of that type on Royal Princess and Regal Princess.

They all learn from each other since they are under the CCL umbrella and there is plenty of need for all of their individual services.

We have cruised three times with Carnival, 35 with HAL and soon to be our first with Princess in October. Don't care for Carnival but are looking forward to Princess so we can compare.

Just wish The CCL umbrella would blend their individual "Benefit Programs" across their fleet. We want to broaden out but hate to give up our HAL perks as I'm sure other line sailors feel the same.

Just my opinion: HAL must keep up with Princess. They have two of that type on Royal Princess and Regal Princess.

Eh, it's a gimmick and not really a big part of the cruise experience. (I was on the Regal last year.)

Eh, it's a gimmick and not really a big part of the cruise experience. (I was on the Regal last year.)

It may be a gimmick, but I'm pretty excited about the idea. I love being able to see what's happening on the dock. I'd definitely check it out several times on my cruises.

Sure, it's a gimmick, and it's an even older idea than Royal/Regal. Princess copied RCI Enchantment of the Seas who did this 11 years ago during lengthening.

Heck, Celebrity had a similar idea 16 years ago. All the Millennium Class ships have glass floors in the dining area of the buffet.

Edited by Aquahound

Sure, it's a gimmick, and it's an even older idea than Royal/Regal. Princess copied RCI Enchantment of the Seas who did this 11 years ago during lengthening.

Heck, Celebrity had a similar idea 16 years ago. All the Millennium Class ships have glass floors in the dining area of the buffet.

Not sure I like that concept in the buffet dining area.

• 4 months later...

We took the staircase down from the Tamarind while we were on the Koningsdam this summer. For me, it wasn't just the glass floor that was scary - hanging out over the edge of the ship was a little nerve-wracking, too. Call me chicken, but I only used that staircase once!

Best regards,

Priscilla

Won't the staircases affect the privacy of people on the deck 7 and 8 balconies fore and aft of the staircase?
From the picture directly above your post it doesn't look to me like the upper deck balconies are exposed, and the low deck balcony that is exposed is no worse than what shows from any upper balconies.

I disagree. The staircase is outside the plane of the balconies so of course you can look down into the deck 7 and 8 balconies close to the staircase.

That would make those cabins less desirable. I have seen some pretty strange things on the balconies near the external elevators. Once seen cannot be unseen if you know what I mean. Just glad it is brief on the way down or up.

Ditto for the cabins in the front of the ship near the bridge wings.

Ditto for the cabins where the ship waists in or out.

The staircase is outside the plane of the balconies so of course you can look down into the deck 7 and 8 balconies close to the staircase.
Okay, so somebody can see the railing and maybe a couple inches of deck. It's nothing like the exposure on stern cabins that so many people love. ;)

Edited by jtl513

I disagree. The staircase is outside the plane of the balconies so of course you can look down into the deck 7 and 8 balconies close to the staircase.

That would make those cabins less desirable. I have seen some pretty strange things on the balconies near the external elevators. Once seen cannot be unseen if you know what I mean. Just glad it is brief on the way down or up.

I disagree. One of my very favorite cabins was with a balcony aft of the flying bridge. It was fantastic to stand out on the balcony and see the sentry (not sure what his actual rank is) on the flying bridge. But then I like to watch the workings of the ship so, that is a great position for me.

I do not find anything undesirable about that location. It's not like any balcony can ever be guaranteed as 100% completely and totally private. They are open to the air and certainly able to be seen from windows/balconies on shore. It's no different than standing in your house with the curtains open. People can see in -- though most people don't really care enough to stand and watch.

It probably does serve too well the women wearing skirts, coming down the staircase, either!

I disagree. One of my very favorite cabins was with a balcony aft of the flying bridge. It was fantastic to stand out on the balcony and see the sentry (not sure what his actual rank is) on the flying bridge. .................................

Quartermaster ;)