Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

ChucktownSteve

I agree with you on Dubrovnik. Only need a day there, but looking forward to the two days in Malta. The Naples thing is not too great and Azamara had the advantage of going right into Sorrento for an overnight and another port day in Amalfi. While we feel a bit stung by Azamara, we're definitely picking up the pieces and moving on and we'll have a great vacation.

I know you can do some day trips from Naples -just longer in a car. I feel the food is better in Sorrento and you can get to Capri. Malta we did our Azamara evening there too. I just walked around town and had a light lunch. many places to eat near where ship docks. the old town was nice- someone says 30 minutes is enough there. but i only was there fro the concert.. but i did see restaurants there too. only heard negative things about the up on /off bus.. think to long and you had to wait forever for the next bus.

I have a question for Bonnie. Can we take the June 22 sailing for our original 14 days at the booked price? I know AZ divided it into two sailings but together, they are the same amount of time on the same days.

assume you mean July - that's what I want too - otherwise it's bye bye Azamara , hello Oceania !

I have a question for Bonnie. Can we take the June 22 sailing for our original 14 days at the booked price? I know AZ divided it into two sailings but together, they are the same amount of time on the same days.

assume you mean July - that's what I want too - otherwise it's bye bye Azamara , hello Oceania !

This would probably be best directed at Richard Twynam as he will be in a better position to help. We have always found him very helpful and is always happy to assist.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wanted you to know that I'm very pleased with the way Azamara handled my cancelled cruise.

I just got off the phone with my TA. Azamara agreed to transfer our reservation to another cruise that I selected, same category, price protected as originally booked plus the OBC others talked about. I told him to book it. It's two days shorter but it has three overnight ports. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Just wanted you to know that I'm very pleased with the way Azamara handled my cancelled cruise.

I just got off the phone with my TA. Azamara agreed to transfer our reservation to another cruise that I selected, same category, price protected as originally booked plus the OBC others talked about. I told him to book it. It's two days shorter but it has three overnight ports. :D

Glad you've been able to switch your cruise to another one you like. Three overnights will be excellent, places seem to have a totally different feel after dark.

Pleased that you got it sorted and are now happy, exactly the response we are used to from Azamara. Hope you have a great time when your cruise comes round.

Good stuff. As I said in post 114 my experience has always been a positive one when changes have to be made.

Phil

Good stuff. As I said in post 114 my experience has always been a positive one when changes have to be made.

Phil

It helps, I've found out, if you go in with reasonable expectations. I suggested an alternative to my TA and he brought it to an AZ Rep who accepted it. No muss, no fuss. Glad it took a lot of anxiety out of the equation because this was our first Azamara booking. I hope to have more. :D

We are off the July 5th cruise, but hopefully getting on the one for June 21st for the Greek Islands. My only concern with the $500 OBC is it restricted only to Shore Excursions as our $300 is? Or can we use them for dinning, booze, spa, or shopping?

We still really want to go on Azamara!

It helps, I've found out, if you go in with reasonable expectations. I suggested an alternative to my TA and he brought it to an AZ Rep who accepted it. No muss, no fuss. Glad it took a lot of anxiety out of the equation because this was our first Azamara booking. I hope to have more. :D

What itinerary did you switch to? I'm glad they came up with an alternative plan. I think that I am happy with my change to Celebrity, but it would have been nice if Azamara had called my TA to try to work something out.

edit - okay i see your post and love your itinerary. it's a baltic cruise which includes three days in st petersburgh and even starts in edinburgh. we have been to all of those ports except for gdansk. you'll have a great time.

Edited by hubofhockey

What itinerary did you switch to? I'm glad they came up with an alternative plan. I think that I am happy with my change to Celebrity, but it would have been nice if Azamara had called my TA to try to work something out.

I didn't wait for Azamara. Even though my TA said my booking showed we were sent an email, it never arrived. I proactively sought the solution through my TA.

We're booked/confirmed on the 12 night Journey cruise August 1, 2017 from Scotland to an overnight in Copenhagen, Gdansk, Estonia, Three days in St. Petersburg, Helsinki and an overnight in Stockholm. All new ports for us which was my goal.

When I told my wife the itinerary, she immediately agreed to booking it. I'm glad we'll still get to experience Azamara.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Chuck town, not to hijack the thread but we just did that itinerary last month on the silhouette. It was great. With 3 days in SPB, you have time to go to Moscow. I highly highly recommend it. The armory at the Kremlin is fantastic. We flew from SPB to Moscow on Aeroflot early morning ($70pp), and took the train back at 7:50. We also had a private guide in SPB for 2 days. Our entire 3 days with private guides cost less than the ships trip to Moscow alone and we had an extra 3 hours there.

Cruise crew....... yes, I did mean 14 days starting JULY 22. My TA is checking with AZ. She said she should hear tomorrow by 10:30. Please let me know if you hear anything. With 2 stops in Livorno, if we rent a car, we can still hike Cinque Terre one day and spend a day in Florence the other. If that doesn't work, check out the Sept 16th sailing. It has a similar itinerary too.

Chucktownsteve, I'm so glad you found a suitable replacement for 2017 with us!

Chuck town, not to hijack the thread but we just did that itinerary last month on the silhouette. It was great. With 3 days in SPB, you have time to go to Moscow. I highly highly recommend it. The armory at the Kremlin is fantastic. We flew from SPB to Moscow on Aeroflot early morning ($70pp), and took the train back at 7:50. We also had a private guide in SPB for 2 days. Our entire 3 days with private guides cost less than the ships trip to Moscow alone and we had an extra 3 hours there.

Ha! I don't think you have to worry about the OP. :D With AZ throwing the baby out with the bath water on the Istanbul embarkation, that point is moot.

Yes SPB was definitely on my to do list as were the other two overnights. That's why I'm not upset with the results as I was initially without the alternative. I also like the three days in SPB since I probably won't get there again. Just curious, are there import restrictions on carrying a "reset" button? :rolleyes:

The only thing I wish about this cruise is it had the other two days. But for a compromise, this is pleasantly acceptable. I need to go over your Sillie thread to see what people booked. Thankx for the tips.

We are off the July 5th cruise, but hopefully getting on the one for June 21st for the Greek Islands. My only concern with the $500 OBC is it restricted only to Shore Excursions as our $300 is? Or can we use them for dinning, booze, spa, or shopping?

We still really want to go on Azamara!

Hello beanersts,

My understanding is the $500 OBC is good for all onboard expenditures.

P.s. We (Azamara) really want you to come sail with us as well! I hope you'll work out a suitable replacement voyage.

Thanks,!!!! Lucca was in my plan. It's about 1:15 from port to parking garage at Santa Maria Novella. Easy drive, really pretty. Pick up the car at 8:30 and you can park and walk to the center of town by 10:00 easily. Should have plenty of time to stop at Lucca on the way back for a late afternoon snack as all aboard will be 6:30. DH is a particle physicist (think of Big Bang's Sheldon :) ). We've done the big stuff, city tour, the Accademia, David, Cathedral.... but we've never been to Galileo museum, a must for hubby, or Boboli gardens. I hope 4-5 hours will be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello more ports,

I'm sorry but I can't answer that. As CBO my reach only goes so far. There is a special Help Desk being manned until 8/10 to help everyone find a suitable solution. I wish you and your TA well on this request.

193 When you look for parking go to the northside of the wall (town) and there is more empty spots in Lucca. I would not drive to Florence with a car because your rental will be ticketed going through a ZTL zone or worse towed and left stranded. Ask the experts at tripadvisor. A alternate would be Vinci, Italy for Leonardo DaVinci. Good luck!

Edited by beanersts

Beanersts, thanks for the parking advice. I've read the warnings but it's super easy to park at SMN, you don't have to go through the ZTL to get there. We always drive as it's a bit over an hour as opposed to 2.5 hours or more by train by the time you get to the station in Livorno, and wait for the train. We don't mind the walk from SMN as it's just 10 min or so to center city.

If you want to park in the ZTL there are several lots there too. They call your plate number into the authorities with in an hour or so of arrival as part of your parking fee. NEVER DRIVE INTO THE ZTL WITHOUT PRIOR PARKING RESERVATIONS AND NEVER ATTEMPT TO PARK ON THE STREET!!!!. You car will be gone when you get back.

Going back to this years stop in Kusadasi for Journey, there is a post on the Celebrity board from someone who is on Reflection in Kusadasi:

Reflection in Kusadasi today

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2385548

Looks like everything is pretty normal with most ships completing their scheduled stops, baring any further disruption in Turkey it looks like we will possibly have an enjoyable stay there.

Going back to this years stop in Kusadasi for Journey, there is a post on the Celebrity board from someone who is on Reflection in Kusadasi:

Reflection in Kusadasi today

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2385548

Looks like everything is pretty normal with most ships completing their scheduled stops, baring any further disruption in Turkey it looks like we will possibly have an enjoyable stay there.

Thank you for sharing this, Riocca. It's good to have a first-hand account, and I wouldn't have found it without your post.

Thank you for sharing this, Riocca. It's good to have a first-hand account, and I wouldn't have found it without your post.

Today Erdogan accused "the west" of supporting terrorism in Turkey and siding with the organizers of the failed coup attempt. The culling of education, teachers, police, military, finance and other officials is now at 70,000 and today added about 100 football officials.

It makes little sense that RCCL (Azamara) has rescheduled away from Turkish ports for 2017 yet just weeks following the declaration of a national State of Emergency and suspension of EU Human Rights, port visits are continuing in 2016. Visits to Crimean ports, suspended following the Russia takeover of the peninsula in March 2014, remain suspended. BTW, those Crimea ports are worth visiting if cruise lines ever begin to revisit Odessa, Sevastopol and Yalta. The US State Department's 25 July updated warning on travel to Turkey by US citizens added the voluntary departure of US families from the US Embassy and Consulate - and indication that the host government could not or would not any longer guarantee their safety.