EU contemplating visas for US and Canada citizens

tgwabd

If you are from the US you now need a visa to fly to Canada! As long is it is electronic very little effort and even less likelihood of going into effect.

Strange, the Government of Canada doesn't seem to know about this: "As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens..."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Strange, the Government of Canada doesn't seem to know about this: "As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens..."

I agree with the strange part! I am going to Toronto (via air) in 10 days and nothing I have seen anywhere indicates a visa is needed.

Could the poster who stated it is necessary provide a link??

Edited to add: I just checked with the Canadian government site where you input the country whose passport you are traveling under. Put in United States citizen and it says "do not need a visa or eTA to visit or transit through Canada". Perhaps that posted got "passport" and "visa" confused as I believe pre-9/11 US citizens did not need a passport?

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

I do not believe that either Canadian or Americans need any type of visa to visit each other's country. As for the EU and Canada - Canada requires visas from Bulgarians and Romanians (I believe those are the two countries) and the EU is now telling the Canadian government that all EU citizens must be treated the same. If Canada doesn't remove that requirement, then they may impose visa requirements on Canadians visiting any EU country. This is in the news here every day recently. Not sure what effect, if any, this has on US citizens, unless they have similar visa requirements on certain EU countries.

There was a story last week reported by either the AP or USA Today, where the EU Commission wanted the US and Canada to approve a list of countries by a certain deadline, (three of those countries were on both lists) so that they did not have to apply for a visa. One of the countries listed on both lists that I remember was Romania.

So, they have decided to push back for another 3 months after giving both the US and Canada another deadline. Neither the US or Canada would respond to the reporter questioning what is going on. If the EU does make this requirement, both the US and Canada can do the same to each of the EU countries. Tit for tat, as they say.

Don't call the US or Canada's bluff on this, if they have issues with those three countries, the EU doesn't have the right to force either country to do what they want. The US and Canada are not part of the EU and they don't run/dictate either Country's policies.

Here's an example. A year or two ago, US Citizens could go to Brazil without having a Visa. When Brazil changed their policy and started requiring US Citizens to have a Visa, the US required the same from Brazilian Citizens to get a Visa to travel to the US.

Edited by Plum Happy

There was a story last week reported by either the AP or USA Today, where the EU Commission wanted the US and Canada to approve a list of countries by a certain deadline, (three of those countries were on both lists) so that they did not have to apply for a visa. One of the countries listed on both lists that I remember was Romania.

So, they have decided to push back for another 3 months after giving both the US and Canada another deadline. Neither the US or Canada would respond to the reporter questioning what is going on. If the EU does make this requirement, both the US and Canada can do the same to each of the EU countries. Tit for tat, as they say.

Don't call the US or Canada's bluff on this, if they have issues with those three countries, the EU doesn't have the right to force either country to do what they want. The US and Canada are not part of the EU and they don't run/dictate either Country's policies.

Here's an example. A year or two ago, US Citizens could go to Brazil without having a Visa. When Brazil changed their policy and started requiring US Citizens to have a Visa, the US required the same from Brazilian Citizens to get a Visa to travel to the US.

Umm, you have your Brazil info off a bit. The US has required Brazilians to have a Visa to visit, work or stay in the US for years upon years. US Citizens have needed a visa to visit Brazil for several years - I know for certain as far back as 2008 and likely further back than that, but I wasn't researching visas for travel to there before 200.. ...so not really sure what you're referring to with "a year or two ago Brazil changed their policy and started requiring US Citizens to have a Visa, the US required the same for Brazilian citizens to get a Visa to travel to the US". Both countries have required visas for their citizens to visit each other for years. Brazil's fees are generally set to match what the US charges.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Argentina reciprocity fee? Which is different than a visa, of course. Except Argentina has been charging their reciprocity fee since 2008, at least. The only recent change is that they have suspended the reciprocity fee as of March 27, 2016 for US Citizens who visit for 90 days or less for tourism or business.(per Argentine Embassy website) The US is working with Argentina to get them back in the visa waiver program, hopes are by 2017.....

So again, not sure what you "a year or two" is referencing, perhaps you could supply some supporting info?

As for the EU requiring a visa or Electronic Travel Authority similar to US or Australia or Canada, etc - why shouldn't they, if they think it will help with security, illegals, etc? It's their countries, they can impose whatever immigration policies they like, whether individually or as the EU, etc. Each country gets to set their own laws, and if we want to travel, we have to abide by those policies. Simple as that.

I find it unlikely that the EU will impose either a visa or Electronic Travel Authority on US and Canadian citizens for many reasons, but unlikely is not the same as "not gonna happen". As the decision was delayed until sometime this summer, it remains to be seen what may happen. Fingers crossed it gets sorted, but it will be some time till we know..

The reason the EU is considering making Canadians and Americans require a visa to go into the EU is because Canada and the U.S. will not allow persons from Romania and I believe Bulgaria to enter their countries with out a visa.

The EU has said that ALL members of the EU have to be allowed in without visas.

If Canada and the U.S. DO NOT allow them in without a visa then we have to have one for the EU.

The cost talked about is $100 for the Visa.

It has nothing to do with Americans coming into Canada

I agree that each country or the EU has a right to set its own visa requirements.

However, if the EU starts to require US citizens to pay $100 for a visa to visit, the likelihood of my returning to Europe is slim and none. Been there, done that many times, without a visa. Just as countries get to decide about visa requirements, I get to decide how to spend my travel dollars.

I agree that each country or the EU has a right to set its own visa requirements.

However, if the EU starts to require US citizens to pay $100 for a visa to visit, the likelihood of my returning to Europe is slim and none. Been there, done that many times, without a visa. Just as countries get to decide about visa requirements, I get to decide how to spend my travel dollars.

Totally agree.

Happy Cruiser, I have similar sentiments, but would probably still visit Europe, just not as frequently. Also, I might just go to countries not in the EU like Norway.

I was very much irritated with what I read about the Brazilian visa process that required a personal visit to a consulate several hundred miles from my home as well as insane requirement to produce my household bills and income statement to prove that I am capable to funding my stay in Brazil. Brazil has a right to do this, but I have a right to go elsewhere.

I believe that the US also as a requirement for a visa for EU citizens that hold dual citizenship (born in) in certain other countries. While not mentioned in most of the articles I have run across one or two that have mentioned it.

If the EU adds the Visa requirement then the US should add it to all of the countries that have opted in to the requirement. I believe that some countries, such as the UK has not opted in to the overall EU system.

Happy Cruiser, I have similar sentiments, but would probably still visit Europe, just not as frequently. Also, I might just go to countries not in the EU like Norway.

I was very much irritated with what I read about the Brazilian visa process that required a personal visit to a consulate several hundred miles from my home as well as insane requirement to produce my household bills and income statement to prove that I am capable to funding my stay in Brazil. Brazil has a right to do this, but I have a right to go elsewhere.

Similarly are those of us from other countries irritated and financially out serious money and time with having to visit the US embassies in person for interviews, provide documentation proving our ties to our home country, bank information to prove being able to fund our trip, fingerprints, and for many folks, travel of hundreds if not thousands of miles to do so. In our case, travel to another country in order to do so, as it has to be done in person - so airline tickets, hotels, etc.- just to be able to take a cruise or similar. At least Brazil's typical visa is 10 years, multiple entry. The US visa can vary greatly - from months to years. I can fully appreciate the reciprocity issues given the situation with getting a visa to the US. At least the reciprocity fees don't require Embassy visits and excess travel and expense - unlike an actual visa, as per the US....

I believe that the US also as a requirement for a visa for EU citizens that hold dual citizenship (born in) in certain other countries. While not mentioned in most of the articles I have run across one or two that have mentioned it.

If the EU adds the Visa requirement then the US should add it to all of the countries that have opted in to the requirement. I believe that some countries, such as the UK has not opted in to the overall EU system.

The tit for tat visa fee thing usually happens - I think that is why India is now charging ridiculous high fees to some countries

You don't need a visa to enter the UK if you are an American citizen. We can use your ESTa programme. It states that American and Canadian citizens may want to apply for a visa if they have criminal convictions it have previously been refused entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Similarly are those of us from other countries irritated and financially out serious money and time with having to visit the US embassies in person for interviews, provide documentation proving our ties to our home country, bank information to prove being able to fund our trip, fingerprints, and for many folks, travel of hundreds if not thousands of miles to do so. In our case, travel to another country in order to do so, as it has to be done in person - so airline tickets, hotels, etc.- just to be able to take a cruise or similar. At least Brazil's typical visa is 10 years, multiple entry. The US visa can vary greatly - from months to years. I can fully appreciate the reciprocity issues given the situation with getting a visa to the US. At least the reciprocity fees don't require Embassy visits and excess travel and expense - unlike an actual visa, as per the US....

I completely understand your feelings on what it takes for people from some countries to obtain a US visa.

Still, it is important to look at the reasons behind the policy. The US has been inundated with illegal immigrants, many come to our country on legal visas and overstay. When countries like Brazil mirror our procedures for a visa, it is only out of spite at Brazilians going through the process to come to the USA. There is a far stronger likelihood that some Brazilians overstay a visa, while Americans overstaying in Brazil is not so likely.