Debating on an upgrade to Balcony

Mikiejag

Right now I can get a Balcony for $250 more than I paid. It would be Guarantee, but I am so torn. It is on the Dawn in (OMG) 18 days (Finally).

I have always be fine with a mid ship ocean view...but for some reason I have the pull this time...

Anyone familiar with the Balcony Guarantee rooms? I don't want obstructed, and from what I have seen, no room is obstructed. I have not ever felt the ship moving, but have never stayed forward.

So couple questions:

Are there any Obstructed balconies?

At this point is there any way to guess what balcony I would get with Guarantee?

Going to the Western Carr, would the front of the ship move that much?

Should I wait, risking them selling, or just get it now?

Thanks so much, I am going to try to decide one way or another. I can only assume that at $699 for balcony, it shouldn't drop much more with only 3 weeks to go.

Thanks so much,

I'd grab it. I'm not familiar with the Dawn exactly, but I'm not aware of any obstructed balconies on any ship. There are the cove, or hull balconies that are set into the hull and have the rim around them. Some people like them because they are more private and more sheltered, but a lot of people think they are less expansive.

But I'd take a cove/hull balcony any day over an oceanview for $250. There's no comparison when it comes to morning coffee or evening wine. And you will have perfect weather for warm evenings on your balcony. Think of it as your own private, exclusive slice of open deck.

And there is a very good chance that you wouldn't get a cove/hull balcony. There aren't all that many on a ship.

I would do it if I were you! Having a balcony is awesome.

I'm not sure about the ship you are on, but I have a GTY booked on the Getaway and I've been told there are no obstructed balconies unless you count having the life boats below you. Even in that case the views looking out are still awesome.

Edited by tropical83

I am also ok with an ocean view or even an inside. On the Dawn, however, for that price I might be more tempted. The Dawn public outside areas are not a good as those on the Jewel Class or Sun. There is, for example, no Great Outdoors on the back of the ship. So, the outside places are all where the pool band plays for the more part. I really missed that quieter shaded space on the Dawn. There is also no observation lounge/Spinnaker lounge (I know they moved it to deck 8) but it is just not the same as when you could go watch the sea go by at the front of the ship and be inside. Anyway, on the Dawn, for $250 total and if those two things I mentioned are important to you, I would go for it.

I don't think there is any obstructed balcony. You never know what you will get with a gty, so you do take a chance, but it could be great! We have also had some good luck moving rooms when there was a problem because of noise once on board...but if the ship is sold out, that will not happen. They will try to make it right. Go to the meet and greet and get the card of the Hotel Director. If there is a problem, go to the top. Do not start with guest services.

Edited by drvalo

The $250 is total. The TA is basically just taking what I have paid and applying it to the balcony. I was hoping for the call for a free upgrade, but this will do.

Especially with the overwhelming, do it vibe. :)

Thanks all

The $250 is total. The TA is basically just taking what I have paid and applying it to the balcony. I was hoping for the call for a free upgrade, but this will do.

Thanks all

Per person total or the total for two people? Basically $125 per person?

Still a good deal either way! I would take that!

Thanks all

Great decision. Enjoy!

Done. Upgraded for a total cost of $181.

Got to keep my pre-paid gratuities, which is great because the wifi doesn't interest me, and the $50 per excursion was tempting, it would only total $150, the eating and drinking didn't interest me at all.

When the TA got back to me from talking to NCL she mentioned Either BB or MB, but would know in a day or so when NCL assigns my room officially.

Great...I hear once you go balcony, you never go back... LOL

Done. Upgraded for a total cost of $181.

Got to keep my pre-paid gratuities, which is great because the wifi doesn't interest me, and the $50 per excursion was tempting, it would only total $150, the eating and drinking didn't interest me at all.

When the TA got back to me from talking to NCL she mentioned Either BB or MB, but would know in a day or so when NCL assigns my room officially.

Great...I hear once you go balcony, you never go back... LOL

Yeah, we've managed to see dolphins from each of our balconies so given DW's fascination with dolphins I'll never be able to book anything but a balcony from now on (unless it's a mini-suite or suite with balcony:)).

Yep, $125 per person. Been looking at all the available balconies and seems to have 6 available category BA, deck 10 and 9 available on deck 9.

So here's to something good.

Wow! Congrats! Wish I could get a deal like that for my Alaska cruise.

Edited by Tinknock50