Vancouver transfer to pier

CruzinNoony

I'm trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to get from the Vancouver airport to the pier. What is the price that Princess charges for their transfer?

If you can handle your own luggage, the Sky Train Canada Line is probably best. We did it in November and it was easy, under $10 on the weekend.

http://thecanadaline.com/

The Skytrain sounds perfect. However, we will have 2 large suitcases and two carry ons. Are there taxis available when we get off the train to take us to the pier?:o

It's only two blocks downhill. Not sure if they would take you such a short distance You'll probably walk as far at the airport from where you claim you luggage to boarding the Skytrain

Edited by DougH

Although at the same skytrain station, the Canada line lets you off further away from port entrance. When you get off the train, stay inside the station and walk towards the Expo line. If you take the exit by the Expo line, you will see the port as soon as you exit up the escalator. A very short walk.

I'm trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to get from the Vancouver airport to the pier. What is the price that Princess charges for their transfer?

Take the Skytrain, goes from the Airport (station is in the terminal) and directly downtown. You get off at the last stop (Waterfront). It is an easy 2 block walk to the cruise terminal in Canada Place. The train has loads of room for you and your luggage, and I feel VERY safe on it. (you can catch a cab downtown for the last distance to the port). I always take the Skytrain downtown.

Catch a Cab from the airport to downtown. Last time I was there it was $35, and takes about 20-25 minutes.

Although at the same skytrain station, the Canada line lets you off further away from port entrance. When you get off the train, stay inside the station and walk towards the Expo line. If you take the exit by the Expo line, you will see the port as soon as you exit up the escalator. A very short walk.

Very good hint, I have always walked from Waterfront station.

The walk from the exit may be shorter, but the wasted time going up and down levels inside the station to get from Canada Line platform to Expo platform makes for a longer trip in both distance and time. Unless the weather really sucks, in which case staying underground is worth the extra hassle, it really is simpler, easier, and faster to just head outside from the Canada Line and walk the 2 blocks up Cordova. As mentioned above, total distance from the gate to the Skytrain at YVR is usually longer than the trip from Waterfront to the pier.

Cabs remain $35 as the rate became fixed almost two years back, no more variance with traffic (or watching the meter climbing while you wait in the bottleneck to enter the pier). Since the $5 inbound airport Skytrain surcharge is now unavoidable, you may find the price difference in a cab worth paying to avoid the walk and have point-to-point convenience.

^and if by some freak of chance you choose a cab whose CC machine isn't working, they will take USD (at a rounded-in-their-favour exchange rate) as many downtown merchants do.

If you are only spending a few bucks on small purchases, even the less-than-great rates on USD offered can be better value than taking funds out of an ATM unless your bank refunds fees and doesn't charge FTFs.

Does the Skytrain have a stop at or near the train station to Seattle? My wife and I had considered taking the train to Vancouver and a cab to the pier, but if we can connect via the Skytrain that would be great.

Yes, but it's one on the original line which uses different trains from the more modern Canada Line - specifically there is nowhere to put luggage other than on your lap, and the rules of carriage forbid blocking aisles, taking up seats or using bike/wheelchair reserved space so you risk a $150 fine...

Not worth it from Amtrak IMO, when a cab to the pier will run you $12- $15 for as many people as you can fit compared to $2.75pp, Canadian cash or credit card only, by Skytrain. So many people arrive on the noon train for cruises that you should easily be able to find another person or two to split a cab with.

The Princess transfer is only $28.80 per person. This will get you door to door and will insure your arrival if your plane is late. Why walk and drag your luggage when you can be chaufeured. Remember...you are on vacation.

If Skytrain isn't sufficiently fancy for you to start your vacation the way you like, a cab is CAD$35 with no waiting around for a bus to fill up. A porter is only a few bucks, depending how many bags, to get you from the luggage carousel (no Princess reps there to help!) to the cab so you never need to actually handle your own bags - and with two or more people, it will ALWAYS be cheaper than Princess (as well as faster).

If you're traveling in a group of 3+, a LIMO and a porter is cheaper than cruiseline transfer - why not treat yourself? After all, you're on holiday...

Personally though I say spend your holiday budget wherever you want, as long as you don't stiff the staff on tips! I'd rather stay in a $100 hotel and spend $300 on dinner than the other way around - many people seem to that's a weird choice...