First and possibly last cruise.... Help make it the best??

Some great advice from everyone, and a wonderful gift to give to your mom.

I have a nephew that is blind and handicapped - and he enjoys doing things you might not expect of a blind person, like riding roller coasters. Being blind shouldn't stop her from doing anything and everything that she wants to do - even more cruises after this first one! Make some special memories and don't let the loss of her eyesight prevent her from doing things in the future. :)

What a wonderful idea! The Jr Suite is lovely, and the two of you should make good use of the balcony. The room comes with a water kettle (and refrigerator). If your mom enjoys tea, bring some good tea along, use your kettle, and sit on your balcony to sip it. Some of my favorite memories are of enjoying a good cup of tea on the balcony.

Relax, don't over-plan, and enjoy.

I also vote for the ice show.

We did the turtle farm in Grand Cayman, and loved the experience. It also included Hell, a place w/ black rock formations. But I haven't seen it listed on recent excursions. We had a kick sending friends postcards from Hell.

My mother-in-law could see a little for years. I'd suggest bringing some good sunglasses, sun block, bug repellant, etc.

If she likes that one and her eyes are holding up, I'd suggest the next one be a scenic cruising trip up in Alaska.

Good choice on the JS! DH won't let me book anything else.

• 8 months later...
Congrats on your first cruise! We will be back on freedom about two months before you, she's a great ship! I would definitely check out the specialty restaurants. With the ultimate beverage package you can enjoy some very good wines with dinner, and from what I'm hearing they have some great margaritas in Sabor.

In Costa Maya, I highly recommend Maya Chan Beach. $59pp, all-inclusive food and drinks. They only let a small number of people in each day so not crowded. It also includes transport to and from the port, you can head back as early or late as you want. They also give each party their own private area to sit and relax in. We've been before and are going back in December. Mark is the owner and usually the one who emails back to you, very friendly and willing to answer questions. I would definitely check out their website and take a look!

I know you said you weren't necessarily too keen on getting in the water, but if you decide to and have one day in grand Cayman, visit stingray city on a tour. It really is fun. We did a multi stop trip with Nativeway and had a great time. There are also a few other good, smaller companies just like them too that keep you from the cattle hearding that can happen with cruise line excursions.

I hope you and your mom have an amazing trip, and who knows, this may not be your last cruise it's addicting!

We scheduled our day at Maya Chan! I cant wait!

How sweet of you! Your cruise is coming up soon so you may already have all of your port days planned. But I wanted to suggest Chankanaab in Cozumel. So beautiful there and very nice snorkeling from the shore for those that are interested. Even if you do not get in the water, there are pretty fish that you can see in the water without getting in. You can swim with the dolphins/manatees, sea lion show, relax on the beach or in the pool. Very lovely. There is a small entrance fee, and we took a taxi there which wasn't pricey. Enjoy your cruise!

While this may sound silly be sure to schedule time to just let her watch the ocean, sunsets and sunrises if possible. Those are some of the best memories I have of sailing and could be precious to our Mom especially losing her sight. I wish you both the best cruise ever.

I honestly think this is the best advice you have been given. We are seasoned world wide cruisers and much as we have enjoyed ports of call many of our happiest memories are early morning, late evening on the balcony....

OP, sounds like you will be creating awesome memories. I hope you both have an amazing time.

The first morning on board, I like to get up for sun rise. I head to the front of the ship (or the appropriate side), up on deck, and sit and enjoy the view. I realize there are only a few people in the whole world who are experiencing the very same view I am seeing at that moment. Billions of people and nearly none of them are seeing what you are seeing. I find it to be a bit magical, humbling and maybe a bit spiritual (whatever that definition is for each person). Even on the larger ships, it hasn't been crowded.

In Cozumel, I'm a fan of the Cozumel Bar Hop. Now, I'm not suggesting that necessarily, but rather the "back side" of Cozumel has miles of beach that are largely undeveloped. No buildings, one roads, not a lot of crowds. Its a part of Cozumel many don't even know about. Maybe if you are doing ruins or a similar tour, consider including a stop back there to relax a bit. Depending on the season, the turtles may be nesting/hatching.

On Freedom, do take in the art all around the ship. Stairwells, hallways, gathering areas all have artwork.

Consider a walk around the deck where some of the muster drills are held. It is directly below the lifeboats, I believe. Probably deck 4 or 5. Take a leisurely stroll around the ship. Compared to up above the pool deck, you get a closer experience with the ocean down there.

We hope you have a great time, and hope you come back and report on some of the things you did along the way!

Enjoy!

This is awesome. Although my mom is older and doesn't travel anymore, my travels with her are some of my best memories.

I recommend checking prices on the higher level cabins to see if they have come down in price. You may be able to upgrade for little to no money.

Have a great vacation and enjoy your time together.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While this may sound silly be sure to schedule time to just let her watch the ocean, sunsets and sunrises if possible. Those are some of the best memories I have of sailing and could be precious to our Mom especially losing her sight. I wish you both the best cruise ever.

My wife and I concur with this idea absolutely. While you mentioned you have a JS with balcony, which is great, we recommend on the Freedom going to Deck 4 -- the deck is on "See / Sea" level, it is very quiet (with only the occasional crew or passenger walking by), and is a great location to read, unwind and watch the ocean.

For my wife and me, it's our best kept secret and we try ending up there once per day for each day of the cruise.

Cheers,

Michael

Some great suggestions so far! A little more info might help with some additional suggestions. Does your mom like to have things planned in detail or is she more of a go with the flow person? Does she like to sit a relax, or does she constantly want to be on the go? Does she want a beach chair or a Zipline (or both)? You'll find all types here who can offer more specific advice if needed.

For me, I'd also recommend Sting Ray City while in Grand Cayman, and attending The Quest. And one of my favorite relaxation things to do is to have a cup of coffee early in the morning, either on my balcony or on one of the top decks, before the rest of the ship gets going. Something about staring at the ocean with little to distract you. Of course, if you like to close down the bars while dancing the night away, an early morning coffee may not be in the cards.

Edited by bobmacliberty

1st tip boarding day is the first day of your cruise, go early and board (10:30-11:00'ish)

Bring a carry on with items (a swimsuit, a change of clothes, makeup & any medications) you do not want to be without ( it could be as late as 8:00PM before you get your luggage delivered to your room)

Don't miss the ice show, the quest

Grand Cayman- Stingray city (take the earliest excursion for it you can get and not a combo trip so you will be one of the first tendered off the ship & it will not take your whole day.)

Then take the city bus to the turtle farm. Definitely worth going to and if you use the city buses instead of a tour it will not take your whole day. There will be plenty of time for shopping afterwards.

Cozumel - I would vote for Nachi Cocom if you are looking to just relax by the beach (all inclusive but limited reservations) We have done Mr Sancho's, Playa Mia, and a few other all inclusives and Nachi's has the best service. If you are looking to be more active on the beach I would go with Chankanaab, it is quite large and you will have lots of families but there is plenty to do (not an all inclusive). We have done the bar hop, dune buggies, scooters, time downtown, the regatta races, dolphins, etc. and I would recommend Nachi's overall just for a relaxing day at the beach. Shopping in the port in Cozumel isn't any different than shopping downtown so you can leave yourself some time to shop before you get back on the ship.

Costa Maya- have not been to yet but have reservations for Maya Chan in October

On the ship, do a specialty restaurant package before boarding. You pick the time and they will assign you a restaurant the first night but you can change both the restaurant and the time as soon as you get on, on boarding day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used to HATE Costa Maya. In the past I wouldve avoided a cruise stopping there, but last summer we were re-routed due to a hurricane. I wasn't planning on going to the beach, but at the last minute someone suggest Blue Kay Beach. OMG this place was paradise. It is 5.00 to get in and includes a drink or two, I forget exactly. Beautiful beach, I would highly recommend it. I'm looking forward to going back

I hope you and mother enjoy every minute!

Cozumel - I have been there more than any other port. My favorite spot is Paradise Beach. It is 3.00 to get in with the promise of spending 10.00 each at the bar or restaurant. They have a beautiful pool and great beach. And the best way to spend the money is at the taco/burrito truck on the beach or the mojito stand by the pool (not the pool bar)

It is heaven!

Much nicer than Mr. Sanchos next door.

ENJOY

Maya Chan would be a great place to give her a beach massage...mmm...it is so relaxing to watch the waves, feel the breeze on your skin while someone rubs coconut oil into your tired mussels!

xap16u.jpg

I second Nachi Cocom for a laid back Cozumel day, beautiful tile pool with jacuzzi and lovely beach for adults...beach bar and Iguana to watch!

21o1pq8.jpg

Royal Palms on 7 mile in Cayman is a cheaper venue to just lay in the sun or swim in the pool or sea, can't beat the color of the water there!

k0pl5h.jpg

God Bless you girl and your MOM:D

Edited by BecciBoo

I used to HATE Costa Maya. In the past I wouldve avoided a cruise stopping there, but last summer we were re-routed due to a hurricane. I wasn't planning on going to the beach, but at the last minute someone suggest Blue Kay Beach. OMG this place was paradise. It is 5.00 to get in and includes a drink or two, I forget exactly. Beautiful beach, I would highly recommend it. I'm looking forward to going back

I hope you and mother enjoy every minute!

Do you take a taxi to Blue Kay?

Happy sailing!

I understand...like your mom, I am visually impaired. I was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa and slowly going blind.

While reading your post, what caught my eye (no pun intended) was that it is her first, and perhaps her last cruise. I said the same thing a long time ago...I'm still cruising. I hope it will be your mom's first of many cruises.

How to make it the best cruise for your mom?...simply being there for her...thank you. I am fortunate to have a wonderful wife who patiently and happily "guide" me around the ship and around the world.

Wishing you and your mom the best cruise...and many more.

Happy Sailing! :)

When I travel with only one person I like to sit at a large table at dinner to get to know other travelers.

It's nice to spend time with just one person but for two hours a day it's nice to have other people to talk to.

If you get the right tablemates dinner can be so much fun. I know I always look forward to it.