Pros/Cons of using TA

yodalovesrock

I'm sure you do help her....with all the cruises you have booked. ;)

Hope you continue to have a great experience and don't run into any problems. Sounds like you might have a different agency than I did.

Thanks, safe travels

I am lucky as I know my TA very well.

I can text or email her anytime, and she takes care of everything for me.

Price drops, room changes or anything else I need.

I usually don't have too many changes.

Unless I'm changing the cruise date.

The OBC I get is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am starting to plan our next cruise but considering using a Travel agent for the first time. Can anyone offer some pros/cons of doing so vs booking online? I'm open to any opinions. Thank you for your time! I appreciate it.

We just booked our 2017 cruise with a TA located in Rhode Island, we are in Michigan. We booked 2 cabins and got 2 $100 ship board credits and it was cheaper than booking online myself. Plus it gives me the satisfaction of knowing everyting is done correctly along with airfare. Good Luck!

I do every cruise through an online TA.

Mainly for the perks.

Don't need them for advice, I find the cruise, category, & cabin, do the pricing.

Then call them to book.

They sit on the phone with the cruise lines and I never have to go on the "dumbed downed" websites.

And yes, I do have control over my booking.....

Mainly for the perks.

Don't need them for advice, I find the cruise, category, & cabin, do the pricing.

Then call them to book.

They sit on the phone with the cruise lines and I never have to go on the "dumbed downed" websites.

Can you please clarify how you have control over your booking when it's booked with a TA?

PROS. Extra $50 obc and a bottle of cheap wine. Helpful for the computer challenged cruiser. Might be cheaper fare if member of affinity group, otherwise same price as booking on RCI website.

CONS. Miss out on $$$ cheaper fare deals. No one knows what you want better than yourself. Screw ups by TA's common. Charges for every change or cancellation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

PROS. Extra $50 obc and a bottle of cheap wine. Helpful for the computer challenged cruiser. Might be cheaper fare if member of affinity group, otherwise same price as booking on RCI website.

CONS. Miss out on $$$ cheaper fare deals. No one knows what you want better than yourself. Screw ups by TA's common. Charges for every change or cancellation.

I prefer using a TA, but it's personal preference. There are pluses and minuses, and it really depends on the personality of the person booking.

That said, most of your comments above are a steaming pile. Screw ups happen occasionally with both RCI agents and other travel agents, but they're not common. Some TAs may charge for every change or cancellation, but none of the ones I've ever used do. Just pick your TA accordingly, if that's a concern.

I had great service from my TA on my most recent cruise, and I got $525 OBC on top of the offers available directly from RCI at the time. Missed out on the cheap wine, though.

There are valid reasons some people prefer to deal directly with RCI, but there's no reason to throw out a bunch of inaccurate scare tactics about travel agents.

I bet you do! Looking at your plans on Oasis for fall of 2017 and I'm jealous! Have you two made Pinnacle yet?

If all goes well, looks like the last November cruise will be Laura's ascension. I intend to start reminding LA about it in September. ;)

If all goes well, looks like the last November cruise will be Laura's ascension. I intend to start reminding LA about it in September. ;)

I've been on six different RC ships. Was just looking at your cruise history and, at first, was thinking that it was interesting that with all the cruises you've done, we haven't been on any of the same ships. But then I realized it was not quite true, as we share the Monarch.

I've cruised on Monarch, Explorer, Grandeur, Voyager, Serenade, and Liberty. :cool:

I don't know if you have ever used a TA or used one and you got burnt but much of what you speak of can be avoided by asking the TA questions before booking.

I always get more than $50 OBC unless I book a cheap inside cabin, no change fees, never had a screw up by the TA, and not sure why you would miss out on cheaper deals by booking with a TA. That has me confused.

Never been promised a bottle of wine, cheap or otherwise but that doesn't bother me as I don't drink wine.

Bill

I've been on six different RC ships. Was just looking at your cruise history and, at first, was thinking that it was interesting that with all the cruises you've done, we haven't been on any of the same ships. But then I realized it was not quite true, as we share the Monarch.

I've cruised on Monarch, Explorer, Grandeur, Voyager, Serenade, and Liberty. :cool:

Ah, Monarch. I lived in Orlando for a while. Laura was still in Atlanta and would fly down for the weekend. We did Diamond in December on her several times.

We have a travel agent, and she is really good. In 2014, we booked a cruise out of Hamburg to Norway and then decided we weren't that thrilled with it. Rebooking onto the Brilliance out of Harwich was as easy as sending our TA and e-mail. Within about 45 minutes, I had the e-mail showing the change of cruises.

I've read so many postings on Cruise Critic about problems with RC Customer Service that, in my mind, the issues that can crop up with a TA are outweighed by the fact that you don't have to deal with Customer Service.

If for some reason(very rarely) I need to make a change.

I just call them and they take care of it..

Right, you call the TA. That's not having control.

You and I use TAs in the same way. We obviously don't really care about the control thing. But we do NOT have control over the reservation. We cannot call RCI directly and make a big change to our reservations. There are things we can do directly, but we can't do it all.

Through my warehouse TA for the last cruise I knew I was getting a good amount of OBC and then they threw an extra $50 me.

I don't get bottles of wine, though.

I've never once seem a cheaper deal, so it's a moot point for me. :)

And not every TA charge for changes or cancellations. If I book one that does, that's on me.

Edited by mollyeilis

Right, you call the TA. That's not having control.

You and I use TAs in the same way. We obviously don't really care about the control thing. But we do NOT have control over the reservation. We cannot call RCI directly and make a big change to our reservations. There are things we can do directly, but we can't do it all.

I think Matj's point, though, was that, if it just takes one phone call either way, then it is just as much "control" either way.

That said, there is some difference in control in the sense that you can make some payments and/or changes using the RCCL website, if you've booked directly, and you can't do that if you've used a travel agent. But if you're calling, then it doesn't much matter whether you call one number or another, as long as the person who answers takes care of what you need done.

I think Matj's point, though, was that, if it just takes one phone call either way, then it is just as much "control" either way.

That said, there is some difference in control in the sense that you can make some payments and/or changes using the RCCL website, if you've booked directly, and you can't do that if you've used a travel agent. But if you're calling, then it doesn't much matter whether you call one number or another, as long as the person who answers takes care of what you need done.

If being in control means I have to wait on hold 45 minutes, I think I'll pass.

my daughter is my TA and i have all her cell numbers and email addresses so even when she is on vacation i can still get in touch 24/7 and the commision stays in the family. She better not put me on hold for 45 minutes or i will fire her and do my own bookings.

I now book Directly with a TA (hint hint).

They are GREAT!!! Best prices, I booked 7 months ago and checked daily and could not find anyone with the same price not even RCL.

They also include travel insurance and have a link on the website for price drop

form to submit so I do not think sat or sun would be an issue. :D

Mainly for the perks.

Then call them to book.

Same here - I use everyone's favorite wholesale warehouse for booking cruises through their travel site. I do the fun OCD research for myself, and tell them what I what, which deck, and they very nicely honor whatever RCI is currently offering, plus a nice chunk of OBC on top. Then I link our cruise reservation on Royal's site to make dinner/show reservations, etc. online through Royals' cruise planner portal.

Occasionally I've had to call to check on price drops (which I've found, easily, by being subscribed to the cruise emails). Never once had any issue with either the cruise line or the TA customer service line, though I have found that wait times to get through to Royal have been much better when the TA calls!

Honestly, the best of both worlds: Perks from TA, control for planning my existing booking. I highly recommend to anyone looking into vacation planning.

NO cancellation fees at all when outside of Royal's 75-day-prior-to-boarding payment deadline, either. The one time I had to cancel a cruise (I know: blasphemy!), we got our down payment and interim payments refunded directly within 3 business days. :D

Same here - I use everyone's favorite wholesale warehouse for booking cruises through their travel site. I do the fun OCD research for myself, and tell them what I what, which deck, and they very nicely honor whatever RCI is currently offering, plus a nice chunk of OBC on top. Then I link our cruise reservation on Royal's site to make dinner/show reservations, etc. online through Royals' cruise planner portal.

Occasionally I've had to call to check on price drops (which I've found, easily, by being subscribed to the cruise emails). Never once had any issue with either the cruise line or the TA customer service line, though I have found that wait times to get through to Royal have been much better when the TA calls!

Honestly, the best of both worlds: Perks from TA, control for planning my existing booking. I highly recommend to anyone looking into vacation planning.

NO cancellation fees at all when outside of Royal's 75-day-prior-to-boarding payment deadline, either. The one time I had to cancel a cruise (I know: blasphemy!), we got our down payment and interim payments refunded directly within 3 business days. :D

What is the website you use?