Luminae update after three tries- Celebrity not luxury

Wj420

LOL :cool: Cindy, I was thinking about you the other day and how much fun we had on our cruise out of Amsterdam. We will be heading there again in 4 weeks. Wish y'all were sailing with us again!

I wish we were too! Have fun!

I don't think you would get a suite on Oceania or Azamara for the price of a suite on X. But for the price of a suite on X, you would get a more standard room on Az. or O. with better cuisine That would be my pick but if you want a suite, then X with Luminae. We all have different preferences for our vacation dollars. But I do think both Az. and O. have better food in their MDR's than X does in Luminae. Your money, your choice. But I don't want to pay a higher price and have limited choices, have to send items back, make special requests, or order off menu to get my "money's worth".

We found the service and quality of the Luminae cuisine to be quite good and a step up from the MDR while on Summit just before her recent dry dock. I will say that the choices were limited and when the wife couldn't find something she liked, there was resistance to MDR offerings. Also, I began to crave a good steak by the end. Beef entrees were limited.

I don't think you would get a suite on Oceania or Azamara for the price of a suite on X. But for the price of a suite on X, you would get a more standard room on Az. or O. with better cuisine That would be my pick but if you want a suite, then X with Luminae. We all have different preferences for our vacation dollars. But I do think both Az. and O. have better food in their MDR's than X does in Luminae. Your money, your choice. But I don't want to pay a higher price and have limited choices, have to send items back, make special requests, or order off menu to get my "money's worth".

Everyone has their preferences and I respect yours. I am curious as to why you continue to book X over Az or O? Also, which sailing did you dine at Luminae, the one in 2014?

I was offered an upgrade to a suite, and thus Luminae, in May 2015 - our travel friends wanted to try it, so I agreed. But for future cruises, I am not booked in a suite and am overall pleased with the value of a regular stateroom and the MDR. I'll use some OBC for one or two special meals in a speciality restaurant.

I have cruised both AZ and O in the past and am now thinking about either choosing one of those (in a standard cabin) or going back to land trips. The pricing shenanigans of X and a general uptick in prices have put me off the choice that I have been fairly pleased with for quite awhile.

I was offered an upgrade to a suite, and thus Luminae, in May 2015 - our travel friends wanted to try it, so I agreed. But for future cruises, I am not booked in a suite and am overall pleased with the value of a regular stateroom and the MDR. I'll use some OBC for one or two special meals in a speciality restaurant.

I have cruised both AZ and O in the past and am now thinking about either choosing one of those (in a standard cabin) or going back to land trips. The pricing shenanigans of X and a general uptick in prices have put me off the choice that I have been fairly pleased with for quite awhile.

Please let us know how you enjoyed the suite life, Michael's and Luminae and especially the cruise and itinerary:)

Just completed a B2B on the Summit and we thought Luminae was great in terms of service and food quality. The steaks were all very tender. A number of the menu items were a little too odd for us but we could always order chicken, baked potato, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, etc. if we preferred. The burger and halibut at lunch were outstanding. Breakfast was always great although we wished it was open later than 9 am.

Edited by OceanCruise

I do hope you find a cruise line that appeals to you. Everyone has different tastes.

On our first taste of Luminae (so far) we found it to be the best food on the ship and even gave up our "free" suite meals to the specialty restaurants and stayed in Luminae. I don't care if my meal is locally-sourced or not. But that's just me, obviously. It was delicious and the service was the best on the ship in any restaurant. Yeah I know it was advertised as "locally sourced" but the fact that it's not just doesn't even hit my radar. Wherever the food comes from, we found Luminae stellar. We also found Michael's Club, and the very attentive and creative concierge there, wonderful - she made our cruise!

But we all have our own opinions. You have to be happy, so again, I do wish you well in finding your perfect cruise line!!

Just completed a B2B on the Summit and we thought Luminae was great in terms of service and food quality. The steaks were all very tender. A number of the menu items were a little too odd for us but we could always order chicken, baked potato, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, etc. if we preferred. The burger and halibut at lunch were outstanding. Breakfast was always great although we wished it was open later than 9 am.

Here is the perfect example of what makes the world go 'round. If I were forced to eat chicken, baked potato, and a Caesar salad on a cruise, I would demand my money back and then jump overboard and swim back to port.:D

I want different food on board, different cuisines, items I can't pronounce from countries I've never visited, spices I can't find in my local shops, food prepared in ways far beyond my ability as a pretty good amateur cook. I want the chef to be challenged and if I have a complaint with Luminae (and I really don't), it would be that too many meals, particularly seafood, were ho-hum. Throwing a beurre blanc with a couple of canned mushrooms on a piece of fish does not constitute fine dining in my book. Good? Tasty? Yes, but hardly fine dining.

We have been on Oceania twice, and really liked the food in the MDR. Did not care for the speciality restaurants. We are book in a suite for Alaska and am looking forward to the suite dining. It will be a good comparison. I think Oceania is too expensive consider what you get.

I have been loyal to X for 16 years. I am only giving MHO about my first cruise on Oceania. They advertise that they spend more on food than any other line at sea. It shows. On the 2 larger ships the 4 specialty dine. were some of the best food I have ever had. MDR was as good or better than the 5 luxury lines I have been on. There is no charge for the specialty dine. onboard. If you go search the menu`s on the Oceania Riviera you will be blown away. I still love X and have a cruise booked next month. I will not be comparing the food to Oceania. I paid more for my AQ cabin on the Infinity than I have ever paid before.

Come on Celebrity! Luminae has been open for over a year and not one thing has been offered that was locally sourced. Three cruises we've sailed since last April. April 2015 we were told once the ship gets overseas. Last October 2015 in Europe, nothing and now the silhouette transatlantic.

Give your clients some credit and stop making promises that don't deliver.

By the folks, third time and the quality is already slipping. It occurred to me that Luminaes food is the quality of main dining room years ago. The comment Celebrity once made about trying to achieve a Michelin star is beyond a bad joke. We were served what was supposed to be a NY strip that was terrible. Dry chicken breast one meal and barely any seasonings.

How about three lunch menus for 9 sea days and embarkation day?! Really?

The service and atmosphere continue to be a draw but the food quality this last sailing was concerning.

If I understand your comments correctly, your lunch menu was repeated 3X, this is definitely a far cry from their stated objective and worthy of letting X know ASAP.

From X's FAQ (applies to Luminae only): 'As Celebrity's ships travel to new and interesting parts of the world, locally sourced food items will be incorporated into the Luminae menu, which will feature a new daily menu for two full weeks.' Also, keeping in mind that X has stated it takes at least 90 days to incorporate new and local items based on USDA and local laws and requirements. Not to say that they did not have enough lead time before your boarded to just this, with the exception of sea days.

On your sailing, which ports were new and interesting? The statement, to me, does not mean at each and every port.

Thank you for your observations regardless...

bon voyage