Currently on Caribbean Princess - No Toilet

High C's

Well' date=' things appear to be fixed. FINALLY. They had to come and replace two valves on our toilet. Apparently it was broken. Gee - really??!!! Anyway, lets hope it stays that way. They did apologize and send a bottle of wine.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!! :)[/quote']Glad to hear this. Same thing happened to me on the Crown a few years ago. I strongly suggest you write Customer Service when you get home with the details on the issue, what you tried to do to resolve it, who you spoke to, the result and how long it lasted. Don't settle for just a bottle of wine. My issue went on for eight days. I wrote when I got home and received enough cruise credit to pay for most of another cruise.

No but there parents may be.

I've also heard people say they take their own toilet paper as they don't like the stuff the ship supplies (I can't really blame them for that). But it can clog the system.

Or we could follow the Asian trend and put used toilet paper in the rubbish bin.

We had a similar problem on MSC, they sent someone up at 2.30 am to fix it. Very useful for two older ladies.

How do we know about the toilet habits of "older people"?

No but there parents may be.

I've also heard people say they take their own toilet paper as they don't like the stuff the ship supplies (I can't really blame them for that). But it can clog the system.

I'll debunk this urban myth again. There is nothing special about the toilet paper the cruise lines use, other than it is the cheapest stuff around, since they buy it by the pallet load. No toilet paper that I've seen anywhere in the world will adversely affect a vacuum toilet system, unless of course you use half a roll at a time, and then even ship's paper will cause a problem. Even facial tissues are fine. Those products like toilet and facial tissues that use pressed paper fibers are okay, it is the products that use woven paper fibers like wipes and paper towels that cause problems.

Not to get too gross about the subject, but the vacuum system needs to hold the contents of the bowl in a "slug" to get it to travel along the pipe (sometimes even up the pipe), so some strength to the toilet paper is desired.

As stated before, most clogs are caused by foreign objects. Paper towels, feminine hygiene products, wash cloths, underwear, swimwear, food, dinner napkins, towels, coke spoons, crack pipes, and once even 6 rounds of 9mm ammunition.

I'll debunk this urban myth again. There is nothing special about the toilet paper the cruise lines use, other than it is the cheapest stuff around, since they buy it by the pallet load. No toilet paper that I've seen anywhere in the world will adversely affect a vacuum toilet system, unless of course you use half a roll at a time, and then even ship's paper will cause a problem. Even facial tissues are fine. Those products like toilet and facial tissues that use pressed paper fibers are okay, it is the products that use woven paper fibers like wipes and paper towels that cause problems.

Not to get too gross about the subject, but the vacuum system needs to hold the contents of the bowl in a "slug" to get it to travel along the pipe (sometimes even up the pipe), so some strength to the toilet paper is desired.

As stated before, most clogs are caused by foreign objects. Paper towels, feminine hygiene products, wash cloths, underwear, swimwear, food, dinner napkins, towels, coke spoons, crack pipes, and once even 6 rounds of 9mm ammunition.

So the plumber on our cruise was lying.

Yep. In his defense, I will say that that is a "canned" answer to try to encourage people not to put anything down the toilet.

Edited by chengkp75

OP, I'm glad the problem seems to have been correctly repaired and I hope it stays that way.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted if I was told the toilets weren't meant to be flushed in the morning! My husband might have had to come and help me pick my jaw up off the floor.

Our steward on the Royal British Isles/TA last fall seemed to say no to every request we made the first two days. When I asked him for a blanket I got the usual "can't do it" response. I told him not to worry about because I'd just check with passenger services. He got very upset and asked for some time to find blankets. They arrived within 10 minutes so I guess he "learned" how to find them. He was very clear that we should ask him for things we needed rather than going to passenger services. I got the impression that it's a mark against them if passenger services is contacted.

We had a very similar experience on the CB in December. Our steward told us Princess no longer has blankets on board!:eek: When I asked what they used to make up 3rd/4th berths or sofa beds I was told they use duvets. I ended up using one of the blankets off our balcony. I also requested the gross, disgusting (in my opinion) bedspread not be placed under the bed each night and then put back on the bed during the day. I was informed that wasn't allowed. That was our first time to have a full suite on Princess and we were pretty disappointed, both with the condition/appearance of the suite itself and the service from our attendant.:(

I'll debunk this urban myth again. There is nothing special about the toilet paper the cruise lines use, other than it is the cheapest stuff around, since they buy it by the pallet load.

My husband calls it John Wayne toilet paper...it's rough, it's tough, and it doesn't take $h!* off of anybody!:p

Edited by Cindy

They'll appease you with what ever answer they think will stop the problem & if it means making you a little more cautious about what you flush, it worked.

Other than toilet paper of any kind, anything you put in the system should be eaten first. :p

We had a very similar experience on the CB in December. Our steward told us Princess no longer has blankets on board!:eek: When I asked what they used to make up 3rd/4th berths or sofa beds I was told they use duvets. I ended up using one of the blankets off our balcony. I also requested the gross, disgusting (in my opinion) bedspread not be placed under the bed each night and then put back on the bed during the day. I was informed that wasn't allowed. That was our first time to have a full suite on Princess and we were pretty disappointed, both with the condition/appearance of the suite itself and the service from our attendant.:(

If you ask to have the bedspread/duvet removed the steward generally puts it in a plastic bag and stuffs it under your bed. We save him the time and do it ourselves when we put our luggage under the bed.

Edited by FritzG

The next step above the passenger service desk supervisor is the the Hotel Manager.

I suggest you request an immediate meeting with him. Explain who you have talked to before and the funny answers that they have given you.

If he does not have the problem fixed. Request a second meeting with him and tell him you want a meeting with the Capt or any senior officer that the Capt designates to meet with you. Also, at that point I would request another cabin, one with a working bathroom because getting dressed in the middle of the night to hike to a public bathroom is going to prevent you from "Coming Back New".

Bob

agreed, great answer.

OP, I'm glad the problem seems to have been correctly repaired and I hope it stays that way.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted if I was told the toilets weren't meant to be flushed in the morning! My husband might have had to come and help me pick my jaw up off the floor.

Just curious, which suite were you in? We'll be sailing May 6th on the CB in our first full suite on Princess. Hope it's not a disappointment, we've had great suite experiences on Celebrity and NCL.

Just curious, which suite were you in? We'll be sailing May 6th on the CB in our first full suite on Princess. Hope it's not a disappointment, we've had great suite experiences on Celebrity and NCL.

We were in D737 -- an aft Vista Suite.

We were on the CB last Sept and our Toilet stopped working also in the morning. We called the service desk and then went out and about for the day.

When we returned to the cabin in the afternoon the toilet was working.

That night at 11:00 PM while were asleep, the phone rang. I got up and answered the phone.

Hello. Sir your privacy tag is in your door lock. Um, thanks for calling, I appreciate the fact that the ship checks these things for the passengers. No, you don't understand, the plumber is outside your door. He wants to come in and check the toilet in your cabin. OK So I let Joe the plumber in and makes his check.

Two days later the shower stops draining. Another call to the service desk.

At 10:30 PM another knock on the door. Its Joe the Plumber again. He was a really nice guy and I enjoyed talking to him while he cleaned out the shower drain. He said his schedule for our section of the ship was 10:00 to 11:00 PM.

Later I am thinking we were lucky that the repair schedule was not much later in the night.

Bob

If you ask to have the bedspread/duvet removed the steward generally puts it in a plastic bag and stuffs it under your bed. We save him the time and do it ourselves when we put our luggage under the bed.

Our steward told us he was required to put the bedspread back on each day.[emoji12] I hated looking at it!

You would be surprised what we fish out of the vacuum lines. Baby wipes are the least of the problems.

On another line, we had to call the plumber to fix our non-functioning toilet. He came to our door to accuse us of flushing cut up lemons down our toilet and they are not equipped to handle that. I can assure you, we never threw lemons into our toilet but do suspect our room steward did. The reason I think this?? .. well, we did always bring lemons to our room for our ice water and tea. The room steward always cleared our dirty cups and glasses from our room .. maybe just threw the lemon rinds down the toilet. Anyhow, this plumber continued to accuse us of throwing these lemons down the toilet even after we denied doing so. He got so snippy with us and told us that he would show us the evidence (gross!) if we continued to deny it. We reported this behavior and never heard anything back so have never sailed on that line again.

Our steward told us he was required to put the bedspread back on each day.[emoji12] I hated looking at it!

That is NOT true! We never have the bedspread on the bed, and no steward on any of the Princess ships we've sailed has ever told us he has to put it on.

I also hate looking at it, and I won't sit or lie down on it because it hasn't been washed since the last person used it. I remove the bedspread immediately in any hotel room or ship's cabin.

Edited by FritzG

On another line, we had to call the plumber to fix our non-functioning toilet. He came to our door to accuse us of flushing cut up lemons down our toilet and they are not equipped to handle that. I can assure you, we never threw lemons into our toilet but do suspect our room steward did. The reason I think this?? .. well, we did always bring lemons to our room for our ice water and tea. The room steward always cleared our dirty cups and glasses from our room .. maybe just threw the lemon rinds down the toilet. Anyhow, this plumber continued to accuse us of throwing these lemons down the toilet even after we denied doing so. He got so snippy with us and told us that he would show us the evidence (gross!) if we continued to deny it. We reported this behavior and never heard anything back so have never sailed on that line again.

Who else could it possibly have been? :rolleyes::rolleyes: