2016 Norwegian Drink and Cocktail Prices

Smitty74

I'm making a list of "must try" drinks (the hubby and I are big drinkers so we plan on getting our money's worth) - so far I have the Mango Meltdown and Raspberry Guava mojito. We aren't much for wine aside from Pinot Grigio or something sweet. I love beer the most but don't want to get bloated while running around in a bikini all week. Can anyone suggest a good vodka drink that isn't overly sweet (aside from flavored vodka/soda water)? :)

If you have not had a Rebellious Fish you must have at least one.

http://c3270052.r52.cf0.rackcdn.com/lido/rebellious-fish-pdf.pdf

Good luck! On the Escape you could find a nice selection of higher priced wines at the Mondavi bar...like $30+. The kicker? You couldn't use the $15 credit for the UBP. Same was true for the only "real" champagne by the glass: Veuve Clicquot. It was available on special for about $22 or $23 a glass with no UBP credit.

IMO, the Mondavi "experience" will not last long term.

On the BA New Years Cruise the Veuve Clicquot was discounted by the UBP, but had to go to Le Bistro to purchase by the glass. I wonder if that was just for NYE or if I just got a generous server.

Thanks mollybloomers!!! I am always open to trying something new..I am so excited to try it now!!!

Bulleit is good, but Try Woodford Reserve too. It's been my go to for Manhattan and other bourbon drinks as it is more available in my area than Bulleit is sometimes.

Isn't there a must try drink thread on here. We are cruising Sunday on the Getaway and I've been trying to find it again, to no avail, and take notes this time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I looked for one as well, to no avail! I'll keep looking! :)

I looked for one as well, to no avail! I'll keep looking! :)

I am sailing on the Getaway in January, and for the first time ever, I have a beverage package, so bring on the cocktails!!! Lol! If anyone has a list of some great cocktails, please let me know. I love Mojitos, daiquiris, etc. I am game to try anything new! I recently saw a Mudslide on a review that looked interesting, but it may be too filling--not a drink to cool off pool side. Also, a drink called Mango?(don't remember the name).

I hope to have a list together by the time I leave in January!! Lol!!

I am sailing on the Getaway in January, and for the first time ever, I have a beverage package, so bring on the cocktails!!! Lol! If anyone has a list of some great cocktails, please let me know. I love Mojitos, daiquiris, etc. I am game to try anything new! I recently saw a Mudslide on a review that looked interesting, but it may be too filling--not a drink to cool off pool side. Also, a drink called Mango?(don't remember the name).

I hope to have a list together by the time I leave in January!! Lol!!

Here's is a list of cocktails with some pictures you may find helpful

http://www.grantmkt.net/star/NCL_UBP_Favorite_beverages.pdf

Are the super premium spirits included under the UBP since they are listed at $10.95? The terms and conditions were a little confusing. I definitely look forward to enjoying some Woodford Reserve if so.

Thanks! Looking forward to leaving on the breakaway on Sunday!

EZCruzer, were all those drinks available on your cruise?

My mother carried that list with her on a recent cruise on the Pearl. She told me she tried a good many of the drinks. When she had a bartender who was unfamiliar with a particular drink she wanted to try, she would pull out her printed list and the bartender would do his best to make the drink for her.

I personally have not tried all the drinks. I prefer a simple Manhattan or a glass of red wine.

Isn't there a must try drink thread on here. We are cruising Sunday on the Getaway and I've been trying to find it again, to no avail, and take notes this time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a thread named 'UBP-Must Try Cocktail/drink list'

on this forum with many replies with the names

of favorite drinks.

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2173108)

My thanks to TheDougOut and other contributors. We are new to the cruise world and NCL in particular. Trying to get a grip of the various drinks packages and what they involve has made my head spin. I can certainly see that to really 'enjoy' the cruise you need to have plenty of cash to splash!

I took one look (well maybe more than one) at the UBP and decided we couldn't justify it, especially as we saw that it still didn't cover all drinks! Moving down to the Corks and Caps I am now rather, er, dispirited to see the number of exclusions and qualifiers for that! According to that very useful series of photos there's not a single bottled beer that falls within the $5.95 or lower category.

I have a feeling that as tempting as it may be to go for a package (even more now we cannot bring our own soft drinks aboard) we will be adopting a 'Pay As You Go' approach.

My, those prices are scary!

:eek:

AMF

I would also add that as a drinker of real ale and craft beers by preference the drinks menus are depressing - paying those sums for Amstel and the like is just WRONG. I will have to seek my proper beers ashore. At least I can try to enjoy the wine whilst aboard...

...I must continue to tell myself that the booze was most emphatically NOT the reason I signed us up for an Alaskan cruise!

;)

AMF

Sailing on the Jade this Nov. the Jade has a champagne bar....is there a selection of bubbly that is within the udp dollar limit? One can only drink so many Long Island ice teas or lemon drop martinis😈😈😈

So I am confused. We just got off the getaway and was able to drink ultra premiums and just pay the extra. I assumed that this would work the same way in the Mondavi bar. But it seems like people are saying you can only get the 6 crappy glasses of wine that were available on Getaway. Are we sure I can not pay the difference for premium wine?

It looks like from what folks are saying here, that even when you have the drink package, the bartender still swipes your card and just charges you a zero amount. Is that right? If that is the case, why don't they just apply the 18 percent gratuity at that time, rather than charging you the 18 percent on the entire package? Clearly, there are a lot of people who don't drink enough to equal out the $70 per day that the drink package costs.

Oh wait ... the 18 percent isn't about the gratuity.

We're travelling on the Sun in August and, as usual, I am put in charge of the finances. :( I looked at the packages and :eek: and then I looked at the 'pay as you go' costs as best I could :eek: again!

For two weeks, if the two of us purchased the UBP it would cost $2,610 (including the 18%) which is more than we are splashing out on excursion experiences! This assumes we don't go a little mad and purchase something outside of the package. Next down was the 'caps & corks', which weighs in at a 'mere' $1,949 for the two of us and riddled with exemptions and even some contradictions on NCL's site.

Now, we like a drink, don't get me wrong, but I find it very hard to justify these costs, especially since the principal reason for the cruise is to see Alaska's grandeur and experience some great shore trips. Yes, we will have a drink or two in the evening, but surely even with the few days at sea we cannot drink the amount these packages seem to require to make them pay?

Worse still, we're British and the sterling is sliding horribly, making the value for money worse. (Luckily, I purchased the excursions and paid the service fees ahead of the EU Referendum!)

Maybe the calcs I did, based on a bottle of wine per night with a couple of extra glasses here and there per day, are a bit hit and miss, but even with the scandal of the ban on personal soda/water provision from 15th July, I don't see us breaking the $1,300 barrier (I hope).

I console myself with the thought that this is probably a one-off extravagance and that, although the £ cost of drinks is up to £200 more than we would normally pay for a fortnight's evening meals (with wine) on a typical holiday, it will be worth it the extra.

Boy do I need a holiday after all this!

It looks like from what folks are saying here, that even when you have the drink package, the bartender still swipes your card and just charges you a zero amount. Is that right? If that is the case, why don't they just apply the 18 percent gratuity at that time, rather than charging you the 18 percent on the entire package? Clearly, there are a lot of people who don't drink enough to equal out the $70 per day that the drink package costs.

Oh wait ... the 18 percent isn't about the gratuity.

Bc it rings at a zero price and you can not put grat on zero. They ring it for inventory and liquor ordering purposes. And Every single cruise line charges the gratuity upfront on all the packages, it is just fair. It makes the drink package and a gratuity a fixed amount. In your example, a heavy drinker could double the cost of the package by having many drinks and additional gratuity. And it iis about the gratuity, people who get things for free think no tip is necessary. i am sure the staff was being killed with no tips. (prior to the addition)