20% Drink Special - My math isn't working?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay- we had previously decided to NOT do a drink package this time, but after seeing the 20% discount pre-cruise special in my cruise planner, I have started crunching the numbers again to see...

My issue is I am not seeing a true 20% discount when I do the math...so can someone help?

RCCL website for PREMIUM listed it as of 4/27/2016

$49.00/day (no tip)--->(+tip $8.82)--->> total $57.82/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $404.74

WITH 20% discount on Cruise Planner

$47.00/day (no tip)--> (+tip $8.46)--->> total $55.46/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $388.22

A difference of only $ 16.52 ? Not 20%?

Am I missing something?

David

Clearly you don't understand how an RCI sale works so let me explain.

Step 1: Increase price of soon to be sale item. Lets say new price is now 25% higher

Step 2: drop the price of said item by 20%

Step 3: Claim a sale of 20% off

Its like the 2 for one sales they have - same deal. Increase the price by 50% and claim a 2 for 1 sale when you drop the price back down. In many countries, practices like this would land the company huge fines and even jail time for some.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

There is NO TRUE SALE!!! As usual, Royal is trying to make it LOOK like a sale but really is not

Here is what it is doing to my bookings

Aug/Sept/Oct Enchantment - shows 20% off sale. Base price for a Premium Pkg is $47 - HOWEVER, once you go to the next page with your names, it says an 18% gratuity will be added. So the net price is about $1.56 off from the package at the regular price of $57 with tax/gratuity. So that is NOT 20% off

When I look at my Feb Indy with no 20% off, the Premium is $57 which includes tax/tip. And it shows up that way on the first page - when you get to the page with your name it says tax/tip is already added

So they make you THINK there is a discount by showing $47 but that is BEFORE the tip.

So for me this so called 20% off will save me $1.56. I would task anyone to show me where that is a discount of 20%.

Just another one of Royals stupid games - raise the price, show it w/o tax and tip to make people think they are getting a deal. In my case I have enough cruises booked I could compare and find out it was no deal at all!

Edited by karena1

The beverage packages for my cruise on Serenade (July 3 out of Stockholm) just went on sale (listed as 20% off). The Premium package is listed at $39/day ($273) plus 18% service charge, for a total of $322.14.

Previously this package was showing up in my Shopping Cart as $57/day, or $399 total (which I assume already included service). So with the sale I am getting a savings of just about 20% (but not exactly! :)). Pretty happy with this.

There is NO TRUE SALE!!! As usual, Royal is trying to make it LOOK like a sale but really is not

Here is what it is doing to my bookings

Aug/Sept/Oct Enchantment - shows 20% off sale. Base price for a Premium Pkg is $47 - HOWEVER, once you go to the next page with your names, it says an 18% gratuity will be added. So the net price is about $1.56 off from the package at the regular price of $57 with tax/gratuity. So that is NOT 20% off

When I look at my Feb Indy with no 20% off, the Premium is $57 which includes tax/tip. And it shows up that way on the first page - when you get to the page with your name it says tax/tip is already added

So they make you THINK there is a discount by showing $47 but that is BEFORE the tip.

So for me this so called 20% off will save me $1.56. I would task anyone to show me where that is a discount of 20%.

Just another one of Royals stupid games - raise the price, show it w/o tax and tip to make people think they are getting a deal. In my case I have enough cruises booked I could compare and find out it was no deal at all!

In the same boat on the Sept. Enchantment of the seas. I called and they said they raised the price to offer the discount of $2 on the premium package. It's a joke.

abo,

same for my Harmony August cruise now :eek:.

Ultimate: 48.51 Euro * 7 = 339.57 Euro, but CruisePlanner shows a total of 395.12 Euro

59 USD - 20% / 11.80 = 47.20 + 18% / 8.50 + 10% / 4.72 = 60.42 USD * 7 = 422.94 USD/week

Converted into Euro with a conversion rate of 1.12 = 53.95 Euro * 7 = 377.62 Euro for one week. 395.12 Euro converts to 442.53 USD

Original pricing: 59 USD + 18% / 10.62 + 10% / 5.90 = 75.52 USD * 7 = 528.64 USD (= 472 Euro)

steamboats

For my Harmony cruise, the CruisePlanner is showing for Premium, as an example, $48 per day with the 20% discount. This price includes VAT but excludes gratuities (I see 18% gratuities added if I place an order). This compares to the previous $49 plus VAT plus Gratuities. So in this case the 20% discount is actually around 10% in the real world - others may well have different results!

abo, see my maths above! I realized that the CruisePlanner adds something to the total but there´s no explanation given. With the non discounted price both - Service Charge and VAT - were already included in the advertised price.

Doing some more maths (Ultimate):

48.51 Euro (= original price - 20% + 10% VAT) = 44.10 Euro (original price - 20%) + 4.41 Euro -> original price is 55.13 Euro -> converted to USD 61.75 (conversion rate 1.12), so still not 59 USD

44.10 Euro + 7.94 Euro (18%) + 4.41 Euro (10%) = 56.45 Euro * 7 = 395.15 Euro

At least this total is close to what my CruisePlanner shows as total. But there´s no explanation at all that they do include the 10% VAT but add the 18% later to the total although they didn´t without the offer. And still it´s no 20% discount as my Euro price is still higher than the USD price (61.75 compared to 59 - 2.75 USD per day).

steamboats

who just wants to understand RCI maths and wouldn´t order any package anyway.

:rolleyes: Once again, It is NOT 20% off the price in your cruise planner. They claim to be taking 20% off the price they say you would pay if you bought the package while on your cruise. At least that's what the C&A rep told me when I called.

None of you are crazy.....or mathematically challenged. It's another one of Royal Caribbean's creative pricing ploys.

~ 4merlurker

:rolleyes: Once again, It is NOT 20% off the price in your cruise planner. They claim to be taking 20% off the price they say you would pay if you bought the package while on your cruise. At least that's what the C&A rep told me when I called.

None of you are crazy.....or mathematically challenged. It's another one of Royal Caribbean's creative pricing ploys.

~ 4merlurker

I sail Oasis in 2 weeks so I'll see if the onboard price is definitely more. But, according to Bugsy, whose doing a live review on Oasis as I type, has posted a picture of the drink flyer pricing and it is still $49 + gratuities while my cruise planner states $47 + gratuities is 20% off. This is for the premium package.

Just cruised with rhapsody. Cheaper to buy premium package with cash dollars on ship ,rather than buy though cruise planner before we cruised.

Well that throws a whole new wrench in this whole thing! Unreal...

Well that throws a whole new wrench in this whole thing! Unreal...

U.S. sailings/pricing vs European/Australian pricing is 2 different things and you really cannot even compare them. Even the drink prices are different between the markets.

I was just in contact with a current passenger on Explorer of the Seas via RCI facebook. She told me that the price to purchase a premium package was $57 a day, Ultimate was $67 a day and select $47 a day, prices included gratuities. So for example total price for a premium for a 7 day cruise including grats would be $399 so the 20 percent off on board prices still makes no sense.

The person on board the Explorer let me know that the above on board prices went on sale 20 percent off on the 2nd day of the cruise. She also confirmed that the small print on the price board states that these prices include grats.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the $59/day on board price for the premium package includes the 18% gratuity? I may just prefer to buy it on the ship a couple of days into the itinerary if there is in fact minimal savings from the advance purchase for the full length of the cruise.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the $59/day on board price for the premium package includes the 18% gratuity? I may just prefer to buy it on the ship a couple of days into the itinerary if there is in fact minimal savings from the advance purchase for the full length of the cruise.

I can't confirm anything as far as on board prices besides what I saw last month. 49$ plus 18% is what it was on Indy and Oasis.

I have purchased the premium ahead of time at that price as well as mid-cruise at the exact same price. Never any different onboard in my experiences.

I've never seen the premium package at 59$ anywhere. At least in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay- we had previously decided to NOT do a drink package this time, but after seeing the 20% discount pre-cruise special in my cruise planner, I have started crunching the numbers again to see...

My issue is I am not seeing a true 20% discount when I do the math...so can someone help?

RCCL website for PREMIUM listed it as of 4/27/2016

$49.00/day (no tip)--->(+tip $8.82)--->> total $57.82/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $404.74

WITH 20% discount on Cruise Planner

$47.00/day (no tip)--> (+tip $8.46)--->> total $55.46/day

7 DAY TOTAL= $388.22

A difference of only $ 16.52 ? Not 20%?

Am I missing something?

David

The new premium beverage package price is $44 before you add the 18% gratuity tip.

The new premium beverage package price is $44 before you add the 18% gratuity tip.

Yes. That comes to $363.44 which is what we are paying for a 7 night Premium Package on September cruise (with 20% off).

But many people are being charged $388.22....so why is there a discrepancy?

Yes. That comes to $363.44 which is what we are paying for a 7 night Premium Package on September cruise (with 20% off).

Royal is using Dynamic Math.;)

RCCL is saying that the $44 ($363) is fall/ winter rate and $47 per day ($388) is summer rate.

This is the email ANSWER that RCCL sent me when I asked the same question:

As beverage package pricing is now managed on a voyage basis, unfortunately we are not able to provide beverage package pricing for you in this instance as it is subject to change. Guests can find specific pricing pertaining to their cruise within the online Cruise Planner. Regrettably, we are unable to provide firm dates in which Cruise Planner reservations will become available to purchase. While amenities may become available sooner, generally all Cruise Planner purchases and/or reservations should be available at approximately 90 days prior to sailing. Guests may continue to check the Cruise Planner website to see when they become available. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

I am being charged $47 per day for mid October, which I would consider to be fall...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Technically, my 6/16 cruise begins in spring. Perhaps, RCI should prorate my daily charge. :D #DynamicCalendar

• 2 weeks later...

I keep going back and forth on this. We have had the CL and bought the wine and dine on our last two cruise so I easily drank 4 or five glasses of wine per night. I was however too cheap to buy anything earlier in the day even though I wanted to try some of the different drinks.

I have 450 RC Visa credit. Right now the premium is 776.00 for two. I wish we could use that credit to purchase the plan right now, We are planning on booking a GS for a 11 day cruise on board and would get a $400.00 credit. If the price is close to that 776.00 we will get the package and try it out.

My gut feeling is that they will raise the price on board, but if we can get it for credit we will give it a try.

I keep going back and forth on this. We have had the CL and bought the wine and dine on our last two cruise so I easily drank 4 or five glasses of wine per night. I was however too cheap to buy anything earlier in the day even though I wanted to try some of the different drinks.

I have 450 RC Visa credit. Right now the premium is 776.00 for two. I wish we could use that credit to purchase the plan right now, We are planning on booking a GS for a 11 day cruise on board and would get a $400.00 credit. If the price is close to that 776.00 we will get the package and try it out.

My gut feeling is that they will raise the price on board, but if we can get it for credit we will give it a try.

If the price is higher on board, you could always skip a day or two in the beginning to bring the price down.