Now can we all chill about the Koningsdam Explorations Cafe? Watch this

InTheWASide

Amazon is in Seattle. Can't believe HAL buys books from a small retailer. Amazon will ship anywhere. All the games on the bookshelves will go underneath and store in cabinets like all the other ships.

Actually, I mentally commended HAL for supporting a local independent shop and giving them continued business. It is the Amazons of the world that has closed personalized independent book sellers. I would much rather have the store owner - who must know her books - to choose a reading list.

Amazon is in Seattle. Can't believe HAL buys books from a small retailer. Amazon will ship anywhere. All the games on the bookshelves will go underneath and store in cabinets like all the other ships.

You're actually complaining about HAL supporting an independent, well-known, beloved local bookstore over the soulless Wal Mart of the Internet?!

I've seen it all.

:o

You're actually complaining about HAL supporting an independent, well-known, beloved local bookstore over the soulless Wal Mart of the Internet?!

I've seen it all.

Edit: Wrong post, sorry. :o

Edited by Fouremco

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the start of a partnership change and maybe it will be "Explorations Cafe - Powered by Elliott Bay Books" No idea as far as that goes...

HAL has really been promoting in this area as "Seattle's Hometown Cruise Line" so some more local establishments (like how they have Chateau Ste Michele for Blend and Microsoft for the Digital Workshop) end up on board.

And don't forget, the beef is from RR Ranch in WA State too!

There will be no chill!

We've all seen raging thread about knives facing the wrong way, that settles nothing for those who have no chill as they'll just fine another thing about the K-dam that they grind on.

We all "know" the railings are 3 cm too low AND the curtains were treated substandard cleaning detergent! ;)

Those averse to change have plenty of "reasons". :rolleyes:

It is indeed good news if it is true. I cannot however, see why they would designate the current small piece of the crow's nest as library and not have enough room for books. Surely you would have empty shelves awaiting the books with a notice to this effect. I agree with topsham the captains corner would be a good place. It was not popular on our cruise and as people seem reluctant to sit there (it is miserable with very low uncomfortable chairs) better use could be made.

I had a reply to my post cruise questionnaire. Partly set letter but also referring to some of my criticisms which were mainly the sitting places for elderly/disabled and lack of library both of which were mentioned. It puzzles me why they didn't say there that the library question was temporary and would be sorted out in the near future. Has left me wondering.

Wonder if in fact this is a very last minute thing when they received so many complaints.

Did I miss something?

I thought the NYTimes supplied the books for HAL.

Has this stopped, as well as the NYTimes News Digest?

There are no "NY Times" logos or "burned in" video screens on K'dam in the Explorations Cafe' or anywhere else that I saw. The ship still publishes the Times Digest along with Canadian, British, German and, for the Christening cruise, a Dutch newspaper digest.

Something will have to change someplace on board in order to accommodate more than a few books, especially if people expect a library similar to the other ships. There simply isn't anyplace in the cafe' to add books unless they dedicate an area like the Captain's Corner or some other space on board to this.

There is a table and chairs in the retreat cabanas.

I may have missed an update on this, but last I knew there were none (just two loungers and a weird looking table between them) in the Retreat Cabana's on the Koningsdam. Hoping you can confirm that they are indeed now part of the furnishings in each of the Retreat Cabanas on the Koningsdam (just as they are on the other HAL ships which have Retreat Cabanas.)

Many thanks!

I don't want to be a killjoy, but isn't this just like the small library now on Princess ships (at least those I have sailed on) where they have a very small library stocked with just travel books that are not to be removed from the library? We were just on the Caribbean Princess and they had the travel books and then many copies of the one work of fiction that was designated for their "book club" reading.

Really, this does not a library make. On a short cruise, it's not a big deal, but we typically take longer cruises and the library is really important to us. I'm digging in my heels and focusing on ships that offer a large and varied collection of books to enjoy throughout our journey.