Now can we all chill about the Koningsdam Explorations Cafe? Watch this

InTheWASide

Link wouldn't open for me.

It's a video about a Seattle bookstore that's shipping hundreds of books to Koningsdam.

The bookstore has also began a partnership with HAL to supply destination-specific books to all ships starting in 2017 and will be heading up the HAL Book Club that takes place on longer voyages.

Thanks, it was mentioned in the other post but of course conveniently ignored by all those still bleating and complaining [emoji849][emoji57]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Perhaps Holland America listened to all our bleating and complaining...:D

Perhaps Holland America listened to all our bleating and complaining...:D

More than likely, considering how long after the Koningsdam started sailing that this announcement was made. The books should have been on board from the beginning.

At least Holland America is correcting its mistake.

More than likely, considering how long after the Koningsdam started sailing that this announcement was made. The books should have been on board from the beginning.

And yet people on the very first sailing said that there had been an issue with getting the books onboard but they were having more sent and it was just a matter of them getting there.

Yeah... that sounds like HAL caving to me... :rolleyes:

Book delays are notorious for independent bookstores. HAL can't move quick enough to change course immediately after a ship sails.

This was planned for months.

-:)-:)- that's fantastic, now if HAL would consider a way or choice to have a table and chairs in the retreat cabanas,- I thought about sneaking them on when the guys are getting lunch orders, but I can see it now ( "cruiser kicked off ship for rearranging furniture" )---:)- joanie

Edited by maxie99

-:)-:)- that's fantastic, now if HAL would consider a way or choice to have a table and chairs in the retreat cabanas,- I thought about sneaking them on when the guys are getting lunch orders, but I can see it now ( "cruiser kicked off ship for rearranging furniture" )---:)- joanie

There is a table and chairs in the retreat cabanas.

Did I miss something?

I thought the NYTimes supplied the books for HAL.

Has this stopped, as well as the NYTimes News Digest?

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the start of a partnership change and maybe it will be "Explorations Cafe - Powered by Elliott Bay Books" No idea as far as that goes...

HAL has really been promoting in this area as "Seattle's Hometown Cruise Line" so some more local establishments (like how they have Chateau Ste Michele for Blend and Microsoft for the Digital Workshop) end up on board.

Here's some info about Elliott Bay Book Company

Homepage:

http://www.elliottbaybook.com/

Store History:

http://www.elliottbaybook.com/node/about/history

Yelp Review:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-elliott-bay-book-company-seattle

If you know Yelp you know anything with 440+ reviews getting 4.5/5 is amazing

And yet people on the very first sailing said that there had been an issue with getting the books onboard but they were having more sent and it was just a matter of them getting there.

Yeah... that sounds like HAL caving to me... :rolleyes:

I made this point on another thread concerning the library.

Approaching Singapore on the Statendam, the On Location Guide and the Staff Member who was the Librarian were boxing books to be removed at Singapore. I was told they would be stored until the arrival of the Amsterdam. The books would then be loaded onto the Amsterdam and taken to Italy where they would be transferred to the Koningsdam when they were both in port.

What happened to those books? And, as another question, what happened to the books from the Ryndam when the ship became a P & O Australia vessel?

I have asked WCB, since they have been and are on the Amsterdam about this, but have not heard from them.

This is all just speculation . There are no extra bookshelves to house more books than the few that are there on the Koningsdam . So don't get your hopes up .

I would also like to hear from someone who was on the "Oosterdam " after dry dock to tell us if there were considerable less books on the shelves than before drydock ? They had started taking books off the shelves before we approached Civitavecchia before dry dock .

Hopefully, these are the newest editions The fiction section was getting quite old! I always liked the idea of having non-fiction books also. Some readers would rather have non-fiction. Thanks HAL for keeping up one of your traditions--a wonderful library. Hate to see some of the other traditions disappear! (Oh, please keep up the chocolates on the bed!):)

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been cruising HAL since 2009, but the books have always been leased from a company whose name I can't remember. The books did not belong to HAL. This practice is also common in public libraries to keep up with demand for bestsellers.

Amazon is in Seattle. Can't believe HAL buys books from a small retailer. Amazon will ship anywhere. All the games on the bookshelves will go underneath and store in cabinets like all the other ships.