Shorts in MDR?

Redtravel

No one is preventing you doing what you want. You are choosing not to take the kilt. Celebrity still encourages you to dress up; they just changed the name of the night.

I don't get it; if you like it, do it. Why are you stopping?

Simply because we don't feel its appropriate for the dress code.

Evening chic is not formal. Highland wear IS formal. End of.

I was on the Eclipse last month and a couple were refused entry to the MDR for wearing shorts, they returned a few minutes later dressed correctly.

We've noticed the Eclipse seems to have a "higher" standard of dress. Inappropriate dress was OFTEN turned away. I feel this is due to the Caribbean cruises being 14 days. This brings an older crowd that seems to prefer a more formal dress code. This is also the reason we prefer this ship to others in Celebrity. With us being 61/53, we're among the "youngsters" on board, which is fine by us.

Maybe you could tell us when you have seen this on a Celebrity ship.

Every single cruise I have been on, every cruise line. Always see women in shorts in the dining room. Never have seen one turned away.

Men, yes, have seen turned away, but a woman never. It is a double standard.

Who are you to tell me or anyone else what they can and can't wear. You are such a hypocrite.

Get over yourself.

I am Laine Maxwell, master of ships.

It's not hypocritical to say wet bathing suits don't belong in the dining room.

It is hypocritical of the cruise line to say shorts are okay morning and afternoon but not evening.

I am very familiar with kilts and the dress components that complements them having grown up in this environment.

What amazes me is that people actually bring them on cruises. They are heavy and take up a great deal of room in a suitcase. Unless one is driving directly from home to port I do not see the attraction in lugging them on a cruise.

Hey everyone, don't have a stroke over it. Let the cruise line worry about it.

The rule for no shorts in the evening will be gone soon.

Go enjoy your vacations.

It's not anyones job here to police what others do. And no one here has any right to put down others for having opinions that differ. Do what YOU enjoy.

Sorry, but I've never seen women wearing the type shorts in the MDR as you seem to describe. During the day perhaps, but not at night. Too much Dukes of Hazzard?

I wasn't going to wade into this debate but I did see a few women wearing tiny shorts two weeks on Connie for dinner. It was not chic night.

But you even said that when Celebrity switches the rule you will accept it. Were you being disingenuous?

And sorry to tell you, it is Celebrity staff who has the power to enforce rules, not you. I'd suggest you not yell at other guests on a ship. I don't think you would, but just a reminder that belligerent behavior could make quite the spectacle with security involved...

Would you speak the same way to a woman as a man? Would you single out a woman on a cruise and berate her, or just a man? That's sexism defined!

If a woman/man is dressed like a slob(yes, Daisy dukes apply) I will complain to the Maître D. Yes, I & others have gotten pax booted for slovenly dress & will continue to do so. So there!

I unfortunately do have a question about shorts in the dining room! Personally, I do not care what others are wearing and think everyone should be able to vacation how they wish. My concern is in regards to the new trend for the rompers / shorts jumpsuits that women are wearing in a dressed up manner. Officially they are shorts, but almost look like a cocktail dress. Personally, you wouldn't catch me in one, but they look great on my 20 year old daughter. Would these be acceptable in the MDR. My daughter would die of embarrassment if she was turned away in public.

If a woman/man is dressed like a slob(yes, Daisy dukes apply) I will complain to the Maître D. Yes, I & others have gotten pax booted for slovenly dress & will continue to do so. So there!

Relax, rule change coming soon. You won't have to stress over it anymore. I'd have paid good money to watch "the show" though.

I unfortunately do have a question about shorts in the dining room! Personally, I do not care what others are wearing and think everyone should be able to vacation how they wish. My concern is in regards to the new trend for the rompers / shorts jumpsuits that women are wearing in a dressed up manner. Officially they are shorts, but almost look like a cocktail dress. Personally, you wouldn't catch me in one, but they look great on my 20 year old daughter. Would these be acceptable in the MDR. My daughter would die of embarrassment if she was turned away in public.

That's fine. The staff absolutely will NOT turn a woman away dressed like that. I guarantee you. Bill me for your service charges if they do!

Unless a guest goes around lifting table cloths and making a big public stink, then my offer is void.

Seriously, it won't be a problem.

That's fine. The staff absolutely will NOT turn a woman away dressed like that. I guarantee you. Bill me for your service charges if they do!

Unless a guest goes around lifting table cloths and making a big public stink, then my offer is void.

Seriously, it won't be a problem.

Thanks!

FOLLOW the standard dress codes or dine in the buffet or go to a more casual cruiseline. Simple as that. The world has people who respect rules. Too bad you're not one of those!

So tell Mr. expert, where did I ever say I want to wear shorts in the MDR and not respect the rules? I have never worn or tried to wear shorts in the MDR.

Your problem is you come across as one of the self-righteous judgemental experts on this forum who don't bother to read what others post.:rolleyes:

Im sure that even in Seattle there's plenty of rest. where shorts are not acceptable at night. Stop justifying your standard to the world.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but I am not trying to justify anything to you. I don't care what you think.;)

Every single cruise I have been on, every cruise line. Always see women in shorts in the dining room. Never have seen one turned away.

Men, yes, have seen turned away, but a woman never. It is a double standard.

That wasn't the answer to my question but we all bow to your vast experience. LOL

Edited by Ma Bell

I am Laine Maxwell, master of ships.

It's not hypocritical to say wet bathing suits don't belong in the dining room.

It is hypocritical of the cruise line to say shorts are okay morning and afternoon but not evening.

Maybe Celebrity should say shorts aren't okay anytime in the dining room, then they wouldn't be hypocritical. Are dry bathing suits allowed in the dining room, they are just a form of shorts? How about bathrobes?

On my next cruise, I think I'll just sit out on my balcony, smoke my cigar, and laugh about this whole subject. If you can ignore the no shorts issue, I can ignore the smoking issue.

Maybe Celebrity should say shorts aren't okay anytime in the dining room, then they wouldn't be hypocritical. Are dry bathing suits allowed in the dining room, they are just a form of shorts? How about bathrobes?

On my next cruise, I think I'll just sit out on my balcony, smoke my cigar, and laugh about this whole subject. If you can ignore the no shorts issue, I can ignore the smoking issue.

Please do. I'd love to hear a report back from you on the outcome.

Ok. Enjoy your fine.

Wow! How do you even enjoy your cruise if you're so busy looking at how everyone is dressed!? To go as far to report people's attire to the Maitre D is outrageous!

I and my family adhere to the proper clothing suggestions, but could care less what someone across the dining room is wearing to eat a meal.

Your statement above is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read!

I have to say everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion however I am disappointed in the lack of respect for differing views.....I agree with much of what's been said and disagree with an equal portion but that doesn't mean those I agree with are right and everyone else is wrong.......just means we're different (what makes the free world interesting and exciting)

I have to say everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion however I am disappointed in the lack of respect for differing views.....I agree with much of what's been said and disagree with an equal portion but that doesn't mean those I agree with are right and everyone else is wrong.......just means we're different (what makes the free world interesting and exciting)

Hear. Hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app