Flights from the UK

sardensav

Hello all

We are booked for our first Celebrity cruise in April 2017 (Panama Canal) and now that flights are available for that time, I would really like to book them so it's all sorted. As it's Easter, I think that the earlier I can book, the better.

I've checked with Celebrity and they were able to quote a couple of airlines but I'm really disappointed that their prices are not competitive with what we would pay to book direct with e.g. BA or Virgin. Even economy flights are coming out at £1k plus per person (with Premium Economy at £1500 per person). Is this normal? Usually we sail from Southampton, but have done a couple of Transatlantic crossings for which Cunard offered a really great rate for the single flight.

Does anyone from the UK have similar experience and can offer any tips/hints for a cheaper airfare? Am I better waiting (despite it being Easter) to book? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Sarah

I've checked with Celebrity and they were able to quote a couple of airlines but I'm really disappointed that their prices are not competitive with what we would pay to book direct with e.g. BA or Virgin

(quote didn't work so I cut/pasted above).

Why not just book directly with BA or Virgin if they are offering cheaper prices?

Please make sure you're doing a fair comparison. When I have made Caribbean cruise booking including flights it also included airport transfers overnight hotel stay pre-cruise and day room post-cruise. The difference for a Med itinerary is generally no need for overnight stay pre-cruise.

On the whole however, I have found it preferable to organise flights and transfers independently...cheaper and you have more flexibility.

The word of caution I wold give is make sure you fly out from UK in plenty time. Allow for at least one overnight stay pre-cruise. I would not recommend arriving in the US on the day your cruise departs. You should also ensure your travel insurance covers for delays in your outbound journey.

There's a peace of mind benefit to knowing flights are booked early; but there is no rush. The airlines will almost certainly have a sale toward the end of the summer (late August into September).

I am also interested in booking Panama Cruise trip April 17 but the prices (cruise only) just now are ridiculous.

I use matrix.itasoftware.com (a google service) or google.co.uk/flights to track flight prices.

I am surprised that Celebrity are quoting an inflated price, BUT it is not yet 10 months before Easter 2017 ( mid April)

Usually the bulk buy for cheaper prices is 10 months before.

I assume you are flying to Miami- if you buy the Air with Celebrity, you get transfers and overnight hotel included.

A few years ago we spent 2 weeks in Florida at a timeshare and we booked with American Airlines, as their prices were much cheaper than BA ( which I consider to be excessive)

You also have to factor in the fact that it is Easter. Could you possibly fly a few days earlier, to get a cheaper rate? We have done that numerous times and even though we have to pay for an hotel it still works out cheaper than paying premium rate for flights for air. We also get to look around, before we set sail, thereby being relaxed and ready for the cruise, without being jet lagged.

Edited by upwarduk

In addition to airport transfers, hotels and hotel transfer already mentioned, the price for flights through Celebrity also include other items not included in the cheapest flights purchased direct with the airline.

The flight are a little more flexible than those you book direct. There will be limitations but you can sometimes make changes. You will also be covered if Celebrity makes some change to your cruise and you require different flights.

In addition, if you take the cheapest rate direct with the airline, you will normally have to pay in full and the flights are non-refundable. You will not pay for your Celebrity flights until you pay for your cruise. If you cancel you MAY not be responsible for the full price of the flights if you book through Celebrity.

You have a limited choice of airlines through Celebrity because you are only offered those for which they have a contract. Sometime, routes Celebrity uses frequently or open-jaw or one-way flights are often cheaper through Celebrity.

There are, as you see, many different variables to consider when booking flights for your cruise. We usually accept a slightly higher price for the convenience of booking together. And, if that happens to be the cheapest option we are very happy. However, everyone has different priorities and not everyone will pay a premium for convenience. The choice is your.

Hello all

We are booked for our first Celebrity cruise in April 2017 (Panama Canal) and now that flights are available for that time, I would really like to book them so it's all sorted. As it's Easter, I think that the earlier I can book, the better.

I've checked with Celebrity and they were able to quote a couple of airlines but I'm really disappointed that their prices are not competitive with what we would pay to book direct with e.g. BA or Virgin. Even economy flights are coming out at £1k plus per person (with Premium Economy at £1500 per person). Is this normal? Usually we sail from Southampton, but have done a couple of Transatlantic crossings for which Cunard offered a really great rate for the single flight.

Does anyone from the UK have similar experience and can offer any tips/hints for a cheaper airfare? Am I better waiting (despite it being Easter) to book? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Sarah

Celebrity have 2 systems. One is the "package" that includes transfers and where appropriate, hotels, the other system is a competitive flight only one.

I did the Panama in 2014, flying Manchester-Miami via Heathrow. Celebrity were as competitive as booking direct with BA.

I've recently confirmed seats for next January, again to Miami, but this time from Leeds. Return flights were £970 for two (economy).

Because I book through Celebrity, I don't have to pay airfares until I have to settle my cruise invoice and cab fare and a hotel in Miami (or anywhere else) is a heck of a lot cheaper than using Celebrity's package system.

We book our flights independently. I had to laugh at the X rep who quoted me £1200pp for coach seats to Florida a few years ago. Times that by 7 persons and there's paying for convenience and then there's going overboard :D. There's no way a night or two in a local hotel (2 rooms) plus a transfer to the airport is ever going to cost me the difference of £5000 (£500pp when booking direct with the airline) :eek:.

Its a pity you never posted this question a couple if weeks ago as the BA Sale just ended at midnight last night. We are on the same cruise and managed to get flights on the BA site for just under £600 each on 6th May from Edinburgh via Heathrow. The hotels in Miami are also very expensive during Easter as its classed as high season.

Have you tried using skyscanner to see what airlines are available and as upwardUK says American Airlines will be cheaper but I'm unsure what companies fly out of San Diego for your return flight.

Usually Miami comes in cheaper with Celebrity - You just have to do your research.

Booking via a High st TA often helps as they can tie in cheapest flights for you.

We are going to Seattle and Celebrity wanted over £3500 for flights alone.

We did it with Avios and £800 for both of us - (gotta love Avios!).

Try KLM as well as BA - KLM often have great sales on

Make sure your travel insurance covers for everything - and for sure fly in previous day or even two days before.

Use Booking.com for hotels - keep booking everything up with a full refund cancellation policy and in the end - take whatever deal is best - you can save loads by doing this.

Just need to become a DIY Travel Agent! ;)

If your return trip is from a different city - it will cost you a fortune with BA to multi city - usually its cheaper on this kind of cruise to book a flycruise.

As someone else mentioned - check sky scanner - but they always come back with so many numerous stop crazy routes that are way too tiring even although perhaps a bit cheaper.

Good luck!

Edited by Blondie008

Celebrity quoted us a grand each to fly to our cruise out of Port Bayonne. 'No way' thought I and waited until 10 months before. Used skyscanner.net and we're paying just under four hundred quid each on Virgin. When I fly to Singapore for another Celebrity Cruise, I haven't even considered using them.

Would never book flights through celebrity. Do it yourself and book as soon as the flights come out. You will get the best choice of seats and save a fortune. Compare through Expedia or sky scanner and check on the airline website too. BA have great deals at the moment so check them out.

Hi

We did a Panama Canal cruise from Miami earlier this year. Simply AMAZING!! We solved our flight booking problem by using the ITA site, which searches for the cheapest flights. Apparently this is the site that Tour Operators use. It was way cheaper than anything X could offer. You can't actually book from the site, but can use the info that you find and give it to you agent.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

Hope that helps.

Hi

We did a Panama Canal cruise from Miami earlier this year. Simply AMAZING!! We solved our flight booking problem by using the ITA site, which searches for the cheapest flights. Apparently this is the site that Tour Operators use. It was way cheaper than anything X could offer. You can't actually book from the site, but can use the info that you find and give it to you agent.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

Hope that helps.

Yes, we use that site too ;).

Have you thought about getting a British Airways credit card? You will get 50,000 bonus points. Right now for a 4/1/17 flight LHR to FLL it's 44,000 points plus $782 for TWO people in economy. Seat fees are extra to book seats you want.

I just finished booking British Airways a few days ago for points. I have a US credit card that allows transferring points to a cardholder's (or other authorized card user's)British Airways Executive Club account.

Not sure where you want to fly from in the UK, but you could keep a check on Norwegian.com. Currently their flights are only available until 24th March 2017, and they fly London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. They only fly this route twice a week on Mondays and Fridays, so not always suitable, but the fares (in March 2017) start at £179 to US and £151 back to UK with a charge on top for baggage.

I have used them for a one way for a Transatlantic and they are very good. If the days they fly do not suit, you may find it would still be cheaper by adding a night or two in Miami to your itinerary.

I watch the Virgin said the all the time at least once a week.

We are flying to Miami in Feb 17 and want a o add on a few days after the cruise.

Could not believe the price when I saw Manchester to Miami via Atlanta returning Tampa to Manchester via Atlanta for £1325 per person.

Unbelievable price as now it's £2600pp

When Virgin have a sale usually it's about £400 return in Economy

Edited by swigso

Celebrity have 2 systems. One is the "package" that includes transfers and where appropriate, hotels, the other system is a competitive flight only one.

I did the Panama in 2014, flying Manchester-Miami via Heathrow. Celebrity were as competitive as booking direct with BA.

I've recently confirmed seats for next January, again to Miami, but this time from Leeds. Return flights were £970 for two (economy).

Because I book through Celebrity, I don't have to pay airfares until I have to settle my cruise invoice and cab fare and a hotel in Miami (or anywhere else) is a heck of a lot cheaper than using Celebrity's package system.

As it was explained to me, how you make your original cruise booking determines which type of flight booking you can make. i.e. you are committed to a "package" type or the "other" type at the point of booking. That is why I did not complicate my answer with something I did not think was relevant to the OP.

However, I may be wrong because I was also told that you had to pay for flights at the time of booking using the "other" system. [Wish I could remember what it was called!]

I'm also seeing Choice air is very expensive. Im looking for a flight LHR-SYD-LHR for April 17. It seems UK based sites are far more realistic with prices.

So I think it's a matter of waiting and keep monitoring the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply. I appreciate all the hints on how best to book my flights.

I have now actually booked some flights with Celebrity - the good thing is that I can still shop around as they can be cancelled without penalty until payment. We managed to get LHR - Miami (Econ) and San Diego - LHR (premium econ) for £1180pp. Not a fantastic price but I think it's the outbound flight (Easter holidays) that's causing the price hike.

In response to why I didn't just book direct if it's cheaper - it's because I wanted the peace of mind/protection that a package offers in case of delays, etc. Also, I like the idea of not paying for the flights so far in advance.

Thanks again everyone - it's definitely given me lots of ideas about how to look for the best deal.

Regards

Sarah

dont be too sure about the flights. we went in panama canal cruise and had good flights. they then changed them few weeks before the cruise. we had a 5 hour wait in SD followed by a 6 hour wait in LA. " flight was cancelled sir ". even though I could still book a seat on it.

I will never ever use them for flights- great at boat trips rubbish at everything else [emoji33]

With celebrity UK bookings, do a mock booking and you can check the airfare and airlines.

the RCCL brands are getting great rate on UK for some cruises, like LHR-BCN Dubai back to LHR was £250 for the Ovation Suez trip.

I assume you are

Infinity 2 April 2017

Cruise air with celebrity UK BA LHR £936 (day early so need a hotel)

play with the dates pre/post and I got it down to £769, a bit more work may get it cheaper.

Iberia (IB4197)

Non stop: 9h 35m

Dep: London (LHR) 31 Mar 2017 09:45

Arr: Miami (MIA) 31 Mar 2017 14:20

British Airways (BA272)

Non stop: 9h 25m

Dep: San Diego (SAN) 19 Apr 2017 20:40

Arr: London (LHR) 20 Apr 2017 15:00

non refundable.

£1,536.78 for 2 passengers return

(£768.39 per person)

Economy class

<I have now actually booked some flights with Celebrity - the good thing is that I can still shop around as they can be cancelled without penalty until payment. We managed to get LHR - Miami (Econ) and San Diego - LHR (premium econ) for £1180pp. Not a fantastic price but I think it's the outbound flight (Easter holidays) that's causing the price hike.

In response to why I didn't just book direct if it's cheaper - it's because I wanted the peace of mind/protection that a package offers in case of delays, etc. Also, I like the idea of not paying for the flights so far in advance.>

I can't get the quote to work (I'm not sure if it's just me or if CC is having brain fart)

How much would your airfare be if you booked the same flights on your own?