This Princess cruiser just book a Fathom cruise!

kendon

Social impact cruising...sounds cool. I've volunteered quite a lot in my time, but to take a cruise ship to the Dominican Republic to help the locals seemed like an interesting thing to do. The cruise is in August, so I'll surely report back. The ship, Adonia, is the original Royal Princess which has just been renovated this year. Anyone else been or plan on booking with Fathom?

Looking forward to your review - I almost booked this year but got talked into a different cruise with a person who then dropped out....but that's okay - 'cause I'm going to the med and she's stuck with a new husband - mwhahahahaha

I spread my time around. I do plenty in my community as well. If everyone did just a little somewhere, the world would be a better place.

I am with you. I do lots in my community but believe a little help in other places is a good thing.

I have gone to California (as well as other places) to assist those that have been affected by wildfires or other disasters ( think Katrina). Without some of us willing to help outside our own community it would have taken a lot longer for those with basic needs to get assistance.

Everyone being different is what makes this an interesting world.

I think a Fathom cruise could be in my future. Things may be disorganized, may not be how I would do it but that really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. We all have our own definition of organization and flexibility and how we choose to let it impact us. It is the end result that matters.

I think that's very exciting! I would be interested in a review once you return. We have had several discussions about the Fathom cruises to Cuba. Of course they're not perfect; what is? But it is a country we are desparate to see before too many more years go by.

Just a point...Adonia is NOT the original Royal Princess. She was the second of that name. The original Royal Princess now sails as Artania. EM

Yes. She is actually a former R-Class (Renaissance Cruise Lines ships), the majority of which sail for luxury lines (4 with Oceania and 2 with Azamara)

Social impact cruising...sounds cool. I've volunteered quite a lot in my time, but to take a cruise ship to the Dominican Republic to help the locals seemed like an interesting thing to do. The cruise is in August, so I'll surely report back.

Hopefully you'll have a great experience but a Fathom cruise is not affordable for me.

A recent Cruise Critic article about a Fathom cruise to Cuba said that interaction with Cubans touted in their promotions was not as promised. Being a new cruise there are bound to be some issues & hopefully the D.R. cruise will be better organized.

The cruise prices for Cuba began at about $2,300 pp for an inside cabin & they were still charged $5 for room service which was only available for breakfast. Towards the end of the Cuba cruise passengers were offered a $99 (plus taxes & fees) to remain onboard for the D.R. cruise the following week & wonder how well Fathom is selling.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7023

Based on the article, for me a Fathom cruise is overpriced & it didn't provide the experience promised. Hopefully your D.R. cruise will be much better & a great experience. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just a point...Adonia is NOT the original Royal Princess. She was the second of that name. The original Royal Princess now sails as Artania. EM

Yes, I found that out yesterday. Thanks for the correction.

I am with you. I do lots in my community but believe a little help in other places is a good thing.

I have gone to California (as well as other places) to assist those that have been affected by wildfires or other disasters ( think Katrina). Without some of us willing to help outside our own community it would have taken a lot longer for those with basic needs to get assistance.

Everyone being different is what makes this an interesting world.

I think a Fathom cruise could be in my future. Things may be disorganized, may not be how I would do it but that really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. We all have our own definition of organization and flexibility and how we choose to let it impact us. It is the end result that matters.

My attitude exactly. The beauty of travel is the unpredictability of things...all working out in the end. I expect Fathom growing pains...that's ok.

Hopefully you'll have a great experience but a Fathom cruise is not affordable for me.

A recent Cruise Critic article about a Fathom cruise to Cuba said that interaction with Cubans touted in their promotions was not as promised. Being a new cruise there are bound to be some issues & hopefully the D.R. cruise will be better organized.

The cruise prices for Cuba began at about $2,300 pp for an inside cabin & they were still charged $5 for room service which was only available for breakfast. Towards the end of the Cuba cruise passengers were offered a $99 (plus taxes & fees) to remain onboard for the D.R. cruise the following week & wonder how well Fathom is selling.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7023

Based on the article, for me a Fathom cruise is overpriced & it didn't provide the experience promised. Hopefully your D.R. cruise will be much better & a great experience. :)

AstroFlyer, the cost of going to Cuba is very high right now. We are going to the DR...balcony $699!. I suspect sales could be better, but I don't see much push in the way of advertising.

AstroFlyer, the cost of going to Cuba is very high right now. We are going to the DR...balcony $699!. I suspect sales could be better, but I don't see much push in the way of advertising.

Thanks for the updated pricing & you have the right attitude to have a great experience in the DR. :)

My attitude exactly. The beauty of travel is the unpredictability of things...all working out in the end. I expect Fathom growing pains...that's ok.
Edited by Astro Flyer