Curious about Explorer?

Hi -- had a fantastic day at the shipyard in Genoa last week visiting Explorer, and our slideshow highlights some, er, highlights.

It's important to stress that the real cosmetic transformation happens in the two weeks before the ship is released from the yard; we were there about six weeks out, but there was enough progress to see how beautiful it's going to be.

Hope you'll check it out -- and let me know if you have any questions. Will do my best to provide answers (and Cruise Critic will have more coverage leading up to the launch, of course).

Link is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/slideshows/?ID=575

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Do you know if cabins with a tub also have a walk in shower? I know the deck plans show some cabins have a shower - I assume it is a larger shower and there is no tub in those cabins.

Thanks.

Me too ! Shouldn't a new ship be at the stage it's doing sea trials just 6 weeks out from its maiden voyage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I saw a website that said Explorer had moved to 'GENOA SEA TRIALS' with an ETA of 5 May/1700, so I'd assume she's done her sea trials and is back for final fitting. But I've never followed a new ship build so I really don't know how far out or how long the trials are...

PS - Thank you for posting those pics - she looks absolutely amazing. Is it April yet?!?

Edited by UUNetBill
Added PS

I did read that she has completed sea trials. In terms of the suites, I'm not sure which suites have bathtubs and showers and which do not except that PH suites only have a shower. I believe that "concierge" suites have a bathtub and shower and the lower suites may only have a shower. After years of people complaining about the bathtubs on the Mariner, it is not surprising that the new ship does not have bathtubs in all of the suites.

I am very happy to read that there will be USB ports in the suites. On the flip side, I am a bit disappointed that there will not be many computers available. While I have my own, I like to sit at a desktop computer send things like boarding passes to the printer.

Really looking forward to seeing the Explorer in person!

Thank you for the photos of Explorer; she looks to be coming on well, but still a lot of work to do in the next month.

The Concierge Suites look to have a good amount of drawer storage and the well lit, large mirror above the 'worktop' will be excellent. I do not see the wall unit which is shown on the website room layouts, but maybe that was yet to be fitted. The bathroom looks great.

A few questions for those who have toured the ship and discussed its operation with Regent:

1. When dining in Chartreuse or Prime 7 where are you expected to meet up with friends/table companions to have a drink? Unlike Voyager and Mariner there does not appear to be a lounge or bar anywhere near these two speciality restaurants

2. In which venue will afternoon tea be served?

3. In which venue will Trivia be held?

Hi, Travelcat. The suite I saw (concierge, which is the same layout as superior veranda) has both tub and separate shower. If you have a preference -- anyone -- should carefully check the deckplans cause some cabins in even higher categories only have showers.

I'd be very happy in this suite :)

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn - appreciate the information.

We will be in different suites for three out of our four booked Explorer cruises. We prefer a large shower so there will not be a problem.

I was most amazed by the glass floor above the infinity pool. That should be stunning. Also love the windows in the Asian fusion restaurant.

From what I understand (based on the debut of Oceania's ships), one of the final steps will be Frank Del Rio deciding where each and every piece of artwork will be placed on the ship. Can't wait to see it.

Thank you so much for sharing your tour with us. We'll be on the Maiden Voyage and I do remember that we needed to book an F2 category (Superior Suite) in order to get a tub. We like having the option to shower or soak.

Your tour and photos make me so excited!:)

We will be in different suites for three out of our four booked Explorer cruises. We prefer a large shower so there will not be a problem.

I was most amazed by the glass floor above the infinity pool. That should be stunning. Also love the windows in the Asian fusion restaurant.

From what I understand (based on the debut of Oceania's ships), one of the final steps will be Frank Del Rio deciding where each and every piece of artwork will be placed on the ship. Can't wait to see it.

I am delighted with the photos of out new ship and can't wait to sail on her but i have to say the vulgarity of some comments here is astonishing. There is bragging and there is accusing of someone else bragging that takes the biscuit.

My advice?.........Simmer down.

Hi, Travelcat. I was on Oceania Sirena earlier this month, and was walking down the steps, and came to one stairwell that had a bare wall. Hmmmm, I thought, interesting -- and unusual since the ship's art collection is really thoughtful and so unusual to see bare wall!

Frank del Rio mentioned later that he actually forgot about that space! So in Barcelona he went shopping and picked up a painting for the stairwell....

Carolyn

Hi, Flossie009. A little bird shared with me that there will be bars adjacent to both Chartreuse and Prime 7. Tea will be served in the observation lounge. And no word yet on where trivia will be held (but there's plenty of choices!).

Carolyn

Thank you for the photos of Explorer; she looks to be coming on well, but still a lot of work to do in the next month.

The Concierge Suites look to have a good amount of drawer storage and the well lit, large mirror above the 'worktop' will be excellent. I do not see the wall unit which is shown on the website room layouts, but maybe that was yet to be fitted. The bathroom looks great.

A few questions for those who have toured the ship and discussed its operation with Regent:

1. When dining in Chartreuse or Prime 7 where are you expected to meet up with friends/table companions to have a drink? Unlike Voyager and Mariner there does not appear to be a lounge or bar anywhere near these two speciality restaurants

2. In which venue will afternoon tea be served?

3. In which venue will Trivia be held?

Thanks, Carolyn

Good to hear there will be bars near Chartreuse and P7

We wondered if they might use the Observation Lounge for Afternoon Tea, but thought it was too far from the main kitchens; however I am sure they will have figured out the logistics

I am delighted with the photos of out new ship and can't wait to sail on her but i have to say the vulgarity of some comments here is astonishing. There is bragging and there is accusing of someone else bragging that takes the biscuit.

My advice?.........Simmer down.

:confused:

Hi, just a heads up that we added into the slideshow some renderings so you get a better feel of the before -- and after :)

Same link works.

Carolyn

Hi -- had a fantastic day at the shipyard in Genoa last week visiting Explorer, and our slideshow highlights some, er, highlights.

It's important to stress that the real cosmetic transformation happens in the two weeks before the ship is released from the yard; we were there about six weeks out, but there was enough progress to see how beautiful it's going to be.

Hope you'll check it out -- and let me know if you have any questions. Will do my best to provide answers (and Cruise Critic will have more coverage leading up to the launch, of course).

Link is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/slideshows/?ID=575

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

We are booked in a deluxe balcony suite, but are wondering if it's on the small side and should upgrade to a superior one. We do though prefer a shower to a bath.

We opted for the Superior because , at least for our particular cruise, we found the difference in price to be almost insignificant when divided over the number of days in the cruise. They have shower , as well as tub. The picture of the Deluxe veranda looks very nice, however, based on its square footage is smaller than standard cabins on Mariner.