Disembarkation - Opened bottles

Hi,

I'm familiar with what i can take on board in terms of alcohol.

Just checking that i can carry off any opened bottles of alcohol (god forbid), however they were purchased ?

Many Thanks

I am almost positive you cannot take open bottles through Customs. We have actually had to leave liquor behind in the cabin because of this. It would suck to get busted for smuggling liquor OFF the ship :-)

We often carry off the rest of our liquor without any problem. Most has been remaining of gifts from officers on the ships. If purchased onboard, it is listed. If a gift, we always write it on the form as a gift. Never a problem; complete disclosure.

I wouldn't take legal advice from a message board about whether it's ok to have an open container in your car. That said we have carried off partial bottles of water, soda and wine with no issues. Only time they have thrown away my stuff is getting on the ship, not off.

Jaimee

I am almost positive you cannot take open bottles through Customs. We have actually had to leave liquor behind in the cabin because of this. It would suck to get busted for smuggling liquor OFF the ship :-)

Oh please, busted, as in arrested? I am pretty sure liquor is legal in all 50 states. We always take home what we don't finish.

Well I never comment on on items like this but I talked to a customs agent one time about this same subject one time and and he told me they could care less about open bottle. He said he could less what you bring back and it don't matter if it's open or not all he cares about if it's more then a truck load because you need to pay duty tax on it. In a nut shell your fine.

Oh please, busted, as in arrested? I am pretty sure liquor is legal in all 50 states. We always take home what we don't finish.

I never said busted means arrested. Liquor is legal. Taking ANY opened food or beverage containers through customs is not. I don't think they would arrest somebody for an open container off the ship- but if they knew you had an open food or beverage container you would be asked to get rid of it. Also your tone is quite a-holish.

I wouldn't take legal advice from a message board about whether it's ok to have an open container in your car. That said we have carried off partial bottles of water, soda and wine with no issues. Only time they have thrown away my stuff is getting on the ship, not off.

Jaimee

Just because it is a message board does not mean there are not lawyers posting on here :-)

For information, i contacted Carnival by e-mail. I have just received the following response...

"We are sorry to report that alcohol purchased through the Fun Shops Department as a stateroom gift cannot be taken off the ship at the end of the cruise. If you do not finish the bottle while onboard you would simply have to discard it "

Just putting out there for everyone.

Guess they may have to carry me off legless :D

I do it every cruise. Never had a question or inspection. It's in my luggage.

For information, i contacted Carnival by e-mail. I have just received the following response...

"We are sorry to report that alcohol purchased through the Fun Shops Department as a stateroom gift cannot be taken off the ship at the end of the cruise. If you do not finish the bottle while onboard you would simply have to discard it "

Just putting out there for everyone.

Guess they may have to carry me off legless :D

Ask any 5 Carnival employees and you get 5 different answers.

I never said busted means arrested. Liquor is legal. Taking ANY opened food or beverage containers through customs is not. I don't think they would arrest somebody for an open container off the ship- but if they knew you had an open food or beverage container you would be asked to get rid of it. Also your tone is quite a-holish.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/WelcomeToTheUS.pdf

Says nothing about open or not. I bring back crackers, canned nuts etc.

there have been threads now that they are cracking down on this. Carnival gives customs the names of people who bought more that they are allowed (I think you are allowed 1 or 2) and they are making you discard the rest. (this is for US Duty Free purchases)

This is not true! We take some of our own snacks with us and we bring them back with us. No problems. You aren't supposed to take opened food and snacks off at foreign ports. If you take it on the ship, you can take it off. Never had an issue.

there have been threads now that they are cracking down on this. Carnival gives customs the names of people who bought more that they are allowed (I think you are allowed 1 or 2) and they are making you discard the rest. (this is for US Duty Free purchases)

This isn't what the OP is talking about. They are saying if the pre-purchased liquor from the fun shops or purchased a bottle through room service, or even brought wine and still had some remaining.

If you purchase more than allowed then you pay duty on it. Do you seriously think they make you discard it?

We take plenty back from cruises. Bought in the shops on board and in port. We declare it, pay duty and go home. And as to open or not, NO ONE has ever asked, checked, nor cared.

If you purchase more than allowed then you pay duty on it. Do you seriously think they make you discard it?

We take plenty back from cruises. Bought in the shops on board and in port. We declare it, pay duty and go home. And as to open or not, NO ONE has ever asked, checked, nor cared.

again, from the thread I posted

I just cruised on the Sunshine. Our ports were St Martin, St Lucia, Barbados and St Kitts. I don't smoke but always get cigarettes for a friend. I always buy 2, 3 or 4 cartons, whichever I can get the best deal on. There are two in my party. I declare it on my customs form and have never had a problem. This trip the customs officer told me you can only bring home one carton per person. I asked if I could pay the duty on the other two cartons. She explained that you can only pay duty on cigarettes that were not made in the USA. If you get them on the ship they are made in the USA. She said you have to get ones stamped that were made outside of the USA and the duty on them would be $10 per carton. She let me go with the 4 cartons, but said in the future they would be taken and distroyed.

I know that's cigarettes in the quote but they could NOT pay duty. it was going to be destroyed. I will try to see if there is anything about alchohol