boarding pass while in europe

micro yaya

we will be on the eurodam, please tell me how you checked in and printed your airline boarding pass. we will be in venice for one day before we have to debark. thanks so much

You can just use the computer and printer on the ship. They have a "special" rate for printing boarding passes. You could also find a wifi spot in Venice if you are so inclined and print them there.

I think I have understood your question?

Edited by kazu

If I have to check luggage, I don't find much advantage to printing my boarding pass ahead of time - the agent at the check-in desk can do it for you.

Another option that I have used at hotels (though haven't tried on a cruise ship) is to bring up your boarding pass on your laptop, then save it as a .pdf file on a thumb drive, then ask someone at the front desk if they can print it for you. I have never been charged for this.

If I have to check luggage, I don't find much advantage to printing my boarding pass ahead of time - the agent at the check-in desk can do it for you.

Another option that I have used at hotels (though haven't tried on a cruise ship) is to bring up your boarding pass on your laptop, then save it as a .pdf file on a thumb drive, then ask someone at the front desk if they can print it for you. I have never been charged for this.

Agree. If you are checking bags at the airport, get your boarding pass there.

If you are flying out of Venice directly from the ship and won't have a hotel, do the check-in and printing on the ship. There may be some fees, one for getting on-line to check-in and one for printing, but, hey, it's the cost of travelling. I would ask the internet person a day or more ahead of time so you understand the process and the costs, and maybe options although I can't think of any if you are not staying at a hotel. Maybe Luggage Direct?

Some airlines will not print boarding passes at the airport. We flew out of Venice to England on EZ Jet and they specifically warned that they do not print boarding passes at the airport. Luggage check in is all self-service and you won't be able to get through security without the boarding pass. We don't have a smart phone so I don't know about that option, it may be an excellent choice.

I don't think I'd want to try to present my boarding pass on a laptop screen at security and the gate just to save a few dollars but that's my comfort level, although I would definitely safe it as a back-up.

The Venice airport isn't too user friendly in my opinion so I was glad to have been prepared with appropriate paperwork and we just found a chair to wait it out for the window of opportunity to get our bags checked in, then made our way to another area to wait it out for a gate number to appear, then walked quickly like mad to make it to the gate in time - gate seemed a good half mile away. It all worked ok but best to follow the rules.

And the airlines in Europe will want to check your passport at the gate also so keep it handy but secure. Have a great cruise and time in Venice, we love Venice! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Some airlines will not print boarding passes at the airport. We flew out of Venice to England on EZ Jet and they specifically warned that they do not print boarding passes at the airport.
:confused: What do they do about people who couldn't print one, or can't find it when they get to the airport?

:confused: What do they do about people who couldn't print one, or can't find it when they get to the airport?

hmmm, not a good situation to be in! I don't know specifically what EZ Jet would do. It's possible they could print it for you at an exorbitant cost. I saw a different airline in Europe who wanted $75 per boarding pass printed at the airport, and one had to go to a separate place to get that done, and who knows how long it might take or what terminal building... Usually money/credit card and extra time will solve most problems but don't count on it being easy.

The rules for European airlines (and Asian and Australian, and New Zealand, and French Polynesian, and most foreign (to us) airlines) are different than what we are used to in US or North America. They often have very strict rules about weights of carry-on, sizes and number of carry-ons (often just one carry-on less than 16 pounds!), costs for weight of checked bags - often graduated break-points instead of just 50 lbs or overweight charge - so we have purchased by weight thinking of each of our bags when we purchased our tickets. It's just different.

Best to follow the rules. I say, "Their country, their rules!" m--

EZJet may not, but I think that a rare situation, happening only on some off the ultra low cost carriers. If you are flying someone like that, hopefully you are aware of what your ultra low fare gets you, in all senses of the word.

If you are flying out of Venice directly from the ship and won't have a hotel, do the check-in and printing on the ship. There may be some fees, one for getting on-line to check-in and one for printing, but, hey, it's the cost of travelling. I would ask the internet person a day or more ahead of time so you understand the process and the costs, and maybe options although I can't think of any if you are not staying at a hotel. Maybe Luggage Direct?

Some airlines will not print boarding passes at the airport. We flew out of Venice to England on EZ Jet and they specifically warned that they do not print boarding passes at the airport. Luggage check in is all self-service and you won't be able to get through security without the boarding pass. We don't have a smart phone so I don't know about that option, it may be an excellent choice.

I don't think I'd want to try to present my boarding pass on a laptop screen at security and the gate just to save a few dollars but that's my comfort level, although I would definitely safe it as a back-up.

The Venice airport isn't too user friendly in my opinion so I was glad to have been prepared with appropriate paperwork and we just found a chair to wait it out for the window of opportunity to get our bags checked in, then made our way to another area to wait it out for a gate number to appear, then walked quickly like mad to make it to the gate in time - gate seemed a good half mile away. It all worked ok but best to follow the rules.

And the airlines in Europe will want to check your passport at the gate also so keep it handy but secure. Have a great cruise and time in Venice, we love Venice! m--

I would try to find a wifi spot in Venice. Print it there. The problem on most ships is that too many people are trying to print at the same time --especially folks who have not used the ship's computer room ever before and don't know how to set up an account and all the rest. People who are upset and panicking over their boarding passes often are not nice. Avoid the scene if you can with early boarding pass or doing it off the ship. Ship computer is often extremely slow, bulky and has some nuts at the keyboard that mess up things.:D

I think on the day before disembarkation there should be a MANNEDdedicated computer or two for just printing boarding passes -- charge a service fee -- and or even have a time reservation system just like for excursions. Anything that would prevent the mob scene and panic when the computers go down (and it seems they always go down but your experience may vary).Don't let passengers without a hundred minute minimum plan get anywhere near the computers on the last day. :p

Edited by Bowie MeMe

It sounds like you are going to be in a hotel at the 24 hr point, so can't check in on the ship. Most hotels have wifi, maybe even a computer you can use to check in and print boarding pass. Might be worth it to call and email to chack if they offer that service. EM

Some of the European airlines we used, including EZJet, allowed boarding passes to be printed up to 30 days in advance of departure so we had ample time to find opportunities to print our boarding passes without having to deal with last minute chaos. Hotels were the most accommodating. m--

It sounds like you are going to be in a hotel at the 24 hr point, so can't check in on the ship. Most hotels have wifi, maybe even a computer you can use to check in and print boarding pass. Might be worth it to call and email to chack if they offer that service. EM

I take the OPs information to indicate that the cruise itinerary has an overnight in Venice prior to disembarkation (our cruise did) so no hotel needed. If the OP is staying in a hotel, that would usually be an easier process than the ship. m--

EZJet may not, but I think that a rare situation, happening only on some off the ultra low cost carriers. If you are flying someone like that, hopefully you are aware of what your ultra low fare gets you, in all senses of the word.

Absolutely! We got a very good price and more importantly a non-stop to Gatwick at a good time for us and we were well aware of the requirements. We had several options to get the boarding pass printed weeks in advance (a hotel in Switzerland did it for us free of charge from our email to them) and the savings on the flight was well worth it for getting the non-stop flight we wanted. m--

our cruise is overnight in venice, and we fly out delta/klm...we will be checking 1 bag each. sounds to me like I probably should get this done in venice the day before debarkation. thank you for all the help. I become o.c.d. when I travel.. I have measured our luggage three times now lol.i am going to have my daughter confirm our flight from the states, and then just print our boarding passes in venice. what do you think about that idea??

we will be on the eurodam, please tell me how you checked in and printed your airline boarding pass. we will be in venice for one day before we have to debark. thanks so much

Just do it at the airport. If you do it on the ship, you will have to use the airport computers to check your luggage in so printing the pass at the airport will take 20 seconds more.

DON

We would echo a previous post. In Venice, there is no advantage to pre printing your boarding pass if you have any luggage to check. You will still have to wait in the same queue, go to the same counter, and go through a similar procedure (so they can generate your luggage tag(s).

Hank

We would echo a previous post. In Venice, there is no advantage to pre printing your boarding pass if you have any luggage to check. You will still have to wait in the same queue, go to the same counter, and go through a similar procedure (so they can generate your luggage tag(s).

Hank

I have never been able to figure out why people make a big effort to print out boarding passes in advance. It only saves you time at the airport if you only have carry on bags and I doubt if many CCers fit in this category.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

I find wifi on shore and download to airlines app. Just checked in at Hamlets castle last week. Lufthansa emailed my boarding pass plus they kept it on my lock screen.

I always take a screen shot of boarding pass so I can find it easily at the gate.

We just flew out of Venice on Friday and it was via KLM. They had a kiosk to print boarding passes. An FYI!!!! You cannot check in at the airport until 120 minutes before your flight! Our HAL transfer dropped us off 3.25 hours before and it is quite a hike with luggage from the bus parking lot to the terminal. There is precious little space to sit. One we hit the 120 minute mark it took 45 minutes to check our bags (with our boarding passes printed on the ship). Security took 5 minutes. We still had time to share a bottle of Proseco prior to boarding beginning. KLM boarding staff was 1 person and in our case a "problem" couple stopped boarding for 25 minutes for all passengers as they had flights re-arranged and our plane left 15 minutes late.

Delta flights depart from another level - for KLM you want the upper level

Edited by ksmaxey

I have never been able to figure out why people make a big effort to print out boarding passes in advance.
It's a way of confirming that your flight times and numbers haven't changed. On Southwest it gets you into an earlier group than getting them at the airport. Edited by catl331

On Southwest it gets you into an earlier group than getting them at the airport.

Not quite.

On Southwest, checking in gives you the earlier boarding number. Printing the boarding pass (if you bother to print it in advance) gets you a printed boarding pass.

Waiting until you're at the airport gets you a boarding pass with the same boarding number.