Passau - Danube - Rain 2013 Allover again?

G.M.T.

30 km south of Passau a state of emergency has been declared because of severe flooding, these flood waters will empty into the River Inn and then pass through Passau.

In Passau the Danube has risen to such an extent that it has passed the first level flooding warning

http://www.hnd.bayern.de/pegel/donau_bis_passau/passau-10091008

Heavy rain is forecast for at least the next three days.

Boats are currently sailing, haven't seen any go under the suspension bridge.

I don't think we are looking at another 2013 situation. There were some severe local floodings, and at the moment levels are rising. But it's mainly surface washoff, while in 2013 we had heavy rain for weeks.

A few cruises won't make it from Passau to Regensburg tomorrow, I don't know about the weekend yet. Will keep you informed

Thank you for the infos.

It is raining heavily here at the moment, but not by the bucketload as it was on Saturday evening. The Rhine has turned into an unappealing brown-coloured fast stream. They say we will not reach level 2 on the Rhine, but I am not fully convinced looking at puddles developping in my back yard.

I have just seen the footage on Bavaria, school children trapped in a school, whole town flooded, streets surrounding Passau partly closed due to high water...

Hopefully, things will improve after the weekend, weather forecast not looking promising for the next three days.

Thunderstorms forecast for Berlin and the area today and tomorrow.

Here is a positive story: on Monday during the storms in Berlin a tree fell onto the tram overhead power line, knocking out the electricity. Around 30 tourists from Bavaria pushed the tram 30 metres from where it managed to pick up the power supply again.

notamermaid

Next to the County of Rottal-Inn the County of Passau has declared a state of emergency.

The river gauge at Passau/Donau has reached Level 2 and is supposed to go down again by tomorrow. The river gauge at Passau/Ilzstadt is currently on Level 2 but supposed to go up to Level 3 later this evening. Then the forecast shows it going down tomorrow.

steamboats

really feel for the locals. viewed the French news and things are severe in many towns. take care and may it pass soon.

Agree!

The situation is very concerning for both property and, more importantly, life.

This morning the news report 4 people dying in the floods.

The river gauge at Passau has already gone down. The Danube gauge is below the Level 1, the Inn gauge is still on Level 1 but dropping rapidly.

steamboats

This morning the news report 4 people dying in the floods.

The river gauge at Passau has already gone down. The Danube gauge is below the Level 1, the Inn gauge is still on Level 1 but dropping rapidly.

steamboats

Thanksfor the updates.

The most accessible information source here is the BBC.

I feel for the townspeople affected by the high water that suddenly and without warning rushed through their streets and swept of parked cars, fountains and trees. Does it mean that the Danube and the Rhine have high water levels that prevent cruise ships from getting through? If not, let's not create an unnecessary worry for travelers from outside Europe.

The Danube river is doing well. The flood has already crested there. The Rhine river is still on a high side. But that shouldn´t affect the river cruises much.

It´s still raining here and this is supposed to go on til tomorrow.

steamboats

The Danube levels may be falling, but 2016 is much more worse than 2013.

In 2013 there were no loss of life, but for 2016 there are currently 5 confirmed dead and more missing. The most tragic incident was the loss of 3 women - 28 y.o. Daughter, 56 y.o. Mother, 78 y.o. Grandmother - all from the same family.

So sad.

A sixth body has been found.

The main difference between 2016 and 2013 is that this time the water rose extremly fast. The creek with a level of only 50 cm went up to more than 5 m within less than 10 min. There was no pre warning. In 2013 the water didn´t come that fast and people were able to prepare. It came worse than predicted.

steamboats

They are saying more storms this weekend for Nuremberg/ Passau.

We are due to depart Nuremberg on Monday for weeks cruise to Budapest with Scenic. They are still at this moment not giving much away, just saying that they are aware that there might be a problem at Passau.

Our problem is that we do not want to go on with the trip if it ends up a coach trip! Not what we had signed up for.

Anyone due to depart on another cruise line for next week who has any more info to share would be most appreciated.

They are still at this moment not giving much away, just saying that they are aware that there might be a problem at Passau.

I doubt that they know much more than they have said, when you are dealing with weather that can take a 50cm creek to 5m in 10 mins, you aren't going to be able to say much about the state of the river days into the future.

Hello Mark_T,

I doubt that they know much more than they have said, when you are dealing with weather that can take a 50cm creek to 5m in 10 mins, you aren't going to be able to say much about the state of the river days into the future.

I think your figures are a little higher than the official figures are, but you are certainly right as regards the severity and the sudden happening of the flooding.

And that makes it even more difficult to say what will happen. In winter rain and snowfall as well as the spring snow melt bring the flooding. This June's scenario is rare and depends on how fast and where to this weather low will move, i.e. where will it rain down?

Your cruise company will not know what will be on Monday and predictions are very difficult.

However, salbags, I personally do not think you will have to spend a whole week in hotels. If you depart on Monday and start your cruise on Tuesday you will miss some of the rain that will come down in the area. At the moment I can say that none of the gauging stations in Germany report official flooding that would mean closure of the river. Officially, it does not look as bad as it sounds.

Hoping for the best, but noone knows in this extreme weather situation.

notamermaid

I think your figures are a little higher than the official figures are, but you are certainly right as regards the severity and the sudden happening of the flooding.

Those were the figures given by the mayor on TV ;)!!

salbags,

Those thunderstorms are extremly local. Here in Munich I had torrentous rain at my office and not a single drop at home (and I´m talking about a distance of 8 km).

The Danube river is currently not on a high water level. You can check this here

http://www.hnd.bayern.de/

Both, Danube and Inn river levels are falling.

You´re save on the Canal anyway as the canal has a constant level of water.

The weather forecast is still mixed for the rest of the weekend but less rain is in the forecast for next week.

Nobody can tell you right now what will be on Monday or the rest of the week. The river level can change pretty fast. But currently it does look pretty good for next week.

steamboats

Hello steamboats,

I had heard different figures, but I must have mistaken it with a river here close to the Rhine. I have seen so many reports in the last few days... Sorry.

I was quite surprised by the severity of the situation in France, as well, the footage on TV from the Loing river region was looking bad.

We are doing o.k. on the Rhine, things are looking promising for next week.

But that thunderstorm here yesterday was scary. Too close for comfort.

Had a similar situation to you a few weeks ago: got a mobile phone call from 6km away saying "I can hardly hear you it is raining buckets here." My answer: "Only a very light drizzle here."

notamermaid

They are saying more storms this weekend for Nuremberg/ Passau.

We are due to depart Nuremberg on Monday for weeks cruise to Budapest with Scenic. They are still at this moment not giving much away, just saying that they are aware that there might be a problem at Passau.

Our problem is that we do not want to go on with the trip if it ends up a coach trip! Not what we had signed up for.

Anyone due to depart on another cruise line for next week who has any more info to share would be most appreciated.

We are leaving out on Thursday, June 9th. We haven't heard or seen any updates from Emerald as of yet. We are doing Budapest to Nuremberg. We will be monitoring the situation this week.

I was on an Emerald Waterways river cruise northbound on the Danube last week. We left Passau early evening on May 31st, but had to stop less than 20km northward due to the high water up towards Regensburg (apparently a bridge south of Regensburg is the "go/no go" point on the river, with no great docking options to the south of the city). We ended up spending our last 2 nights "parked" in Vilshofen. At least we got to take a bus ride trip to see Regensburg. Glad I wasn't on the next (the current) Emerald Sun cruise, since they all had to take a bus ride southward to reach the ship, vs being able to step on in Nuremberg.

Currently on Avalon Panorama. We were supposed to cruise to Regensburg this am but will be staying in Passau. Did Regensburg by bus today and will do Linz by bus tomorrow instead of Nuremberg. Disembarking here in Passau Friday and going by bus to Nuremberg and Prague