Spa on NCL ships - hardsell?

steveknj

Years ago we took a cruise on the now defunct Premier Cruise Line and I decided to have a massage. The only thing I remember about that massage was the whole time I was getting one, the masseuse was trying to hard sell me on all of their packages, on and off shore at affiliated studios. It was a complete turn off and I've taken 3 cruises since (2 on NCL and 1 on CCL) and I have not attempted to do the Spa/massage again because I HATE being hardsold on anything. Does NCL do this kind of thing as well? (I'll be on the Dawn in July and this might be something I'd enjoy if they just give me a massage and no hard sell).

I've had a variety of spa treatments including massages on my NCL cruises so far, and they don't hard sell during the treatment, but they do try to sell you things after it instead.

I think it was after a facial they told me I had a skin condition and that I should buy their products to fix it. Occasionally after a massage they have tried to tell me I should go on a diet or similar which is the best way to make me more stressed than I started.

Other than that they are very relaxing. On my upcoming cruise I'm most likely to see what specials they offer on port days and see if I can take advantage at a reduced rate.

DD thinks the sometimes the spa staff do get a little pushy. She did buy some products and checked online after she came back for prices. Same products could be bought online at lower prices and larger sizes. Fortunately she was about to return the products and received a full refund.

So buyer beware!

Years ago we took a cruise on the now defunct Premier Cruise Line and I decided to have a massage. The only thing I remember about that massage was the whole time I was getting one, the masseuse was trying to hard sell me on all of their packages, on and off shore at affiliated studios. It was a complete turn off and I've taken 3 cruises since (2 on NCL and 1 on CCL) and I have not attempted to do the Spa/massage again because I HATE being hardsold on anything. Does NCL do this kind of thing as well? (I'll be on the Dawn in July and this might be something I'd enjoy if they just give me a massage and no hard sell).

Everyone has a job. The spa personnel are incentive to sell product. Let them do their job, then politely decline. If you don't want to be "hardsold" then don't go. Even my local hair salon will always push product. I let them do their sales pitch on why it is good for me, and politely decline. Heck, the kids in drive thru at my local mcdonalds are always taught to upsell the french fries and push the apple pies. Let people do their jobs. And politely decline.

Please remember that the spa personnel are not employees of Norwegian, they are hired by the concessionaire (in most ships Mandara Spa).

All you need do is say that you aren't interested in buying anything after your treatment and leave it at that.

I got a great deal on a spa treatment by going to the pamper party (5 treatments for $99 plus 18% gratuity, took about 1.5 hours) but did get the hard sell after for several skin care items. I bought a couple and declined a couple.

I think people respond a little differently in the "spa" setting because it's a place you go for self-indulgence and to relax. Doubly so if you're on vacation. For some of us, having to fend off sales manipulation tactics is the opposite of relaxation. I can say with 100% certainly that I would have spent money on overpriced massages or pedicures on my various cruises if I weren't dreading the upsell. So not only do they not get my retail dollars, they don't get my spa dollars. Presumably they sell enough product that people like me don't matte.

Edited by AdoraBelle