Gratuity Breakdown

kpadalik

We did it the envelope way on our first Celebrity cruise as they didn't have the auto tips and absolutely hated it. Felt like we were missing some people and didn't really know how much to give. It also felt very awkward that last night handing out envelopes. We were so glad the next time when they were added to our account.

My first two cruises were on Royal. Seemed like half the chairs were empty the last night.

Maybe Carnival should go the way of NCL. Can't be removed til after the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmmm......I wouldn't consider those tipped positions, but who doesn't like getting extra money? LOL

It doesn't really matter that YOU don't consider those tipped positions. It matters that those employees were hired with the expectation that their salary would be augmented with tips from passengers. When you do not pay that tip, you are shorting them a portion of their pay they are expecting.

My first two cruises were on Royal. Seemed like half the chairs were empty the last night.

That would be fine to have to jump through some awkward hoops to claim that your vacation was the pits. Tip removal would probably plummet.

That would be the next best thing to making them mandatory. I would be satisfied with either way.

I wonder often why the dining team gets so much when the room stewards work just as hard? Why not divide it equally?

Because there are three people on each wait team who each work at least two if not three meals. The steward team have two

It doesn't really matter that YOU don't consider those tipped positions. It matters that those employees were hired with the expectation that their salary would be augmented with tips from passengers. When you do not pay that tip, you are shorting them a portion of their pay they are expecting.

Who said anything about shorting them? I just wanted to know who they were. "Alternate services team" is rather ambiguous. If they were the "rowing team", I'd probably be inclined to give them a little bit more.

Edited by Thorncroft

Taking the Glory as an example - just shy of 3,000 passengers, so I'm rounding up to 3000.

Stateroom Services - $11,700/day

Dining Services - $18,300/day

Alternative Services - $6,000/day

For a total of $36,000/day in gratuities (yes, rounding up slightly ($322), and that is assuming no one pulls them off)

There is a crew of 1,160. That comes out to $31/day per crew member. I'm sure some of them are non-tipped - no idea of the breakdown - so that number would probably go up some, but even if only 800 were paid from gratuities, that's $45/day or annualized, $16k - for some damn serious work.

Yeah...I'll leave my tips on my S&S and call it part of the overall cost.

Taking the Glory as an example - just shy of 3,000 passengers, so I'm rounding up to 3000.

For a total of $36,000/day in gratuities (yes, rounding up slightly ($322), and that is assuming no one pulls them off)

There is a crew of 1,160. That comes out to $31/day per crew member. I'm sure some of them are non-tipped - no idea of the breakdown - so that number would probably go up some, but even if only 800 were paid from gratuities, that's $45/day or annualized, $16k - for some damn serious work.

I think the number in the tip pool is probably much, much lower than 800 people out of 1160 crew. Crew includes the engineers, maritime officers, onboard management, etc. If I had to guess the number is probably closer to 400-500 range.

They make considerably more than that. Pretty sure that you're over estimating the number of tipped employees.

Just looking at the cabin stewards. Their portion is $3.90 pp/pd. If they service 35 cabins, double occupancy, as we're hearing now, they're making over $8000 a month if they don't split with an assistant.

Edited by Thorncroft

Alternative Services should be removed from your figures. It goes to salaried employees not service fee employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1st, absolutely not true and 2nd we heard you the 1st time (post 21)

Because there are three people on each wait team who each work at least two if not three meals. The steward team have two

Our Miracle steward (for three cruises) had one full time assistant and shared a third.

They make considerably more than that. Pretty sure that you're over estimating the number of tipped employees.

Just looking at the cabin stewards. Their portion is $3.90 pp/pd. If they service 35 cabins, double occupancy, as we're hearing now, they're making over $8000 a month if they don't split with an assistant.

Of course some of it goes to the assistant.

"Merlyn Parola, 42, is from the Philippines, and is a 15-year Carnival veteran currently on the Carnival Fascination."

"The pay is fair: Pay comes mostly from pooled passenger gratuities. "The salary is good, I can't complain. I pay for my son's education and I support my family," said Berzina. "Imagine how many years I've been with the company. If I'm not happy, maybe I'm out of here," said Parola. "I am saving a lot."

I can pretty much guarantee that they're not making $8000/month.

Also, many of the crew come from countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc., especially the Philippines, where they have to leave their country to find work. They put up with endless hours because their families back home are depending on them for support.

I can pretty much guarantee that they're not making $8000/month.

Also, many of the crew come from countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc., especially the Philippines, where they have to leave their country to find work. They put up with endless hours because their families back home are depending on them for support.

And why do you think the rest of us put up with endless hours??

35 cabins? Isn't that excessive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about carnival just charging the 12.95 a day extra pp in the cabin charge and advertise as the gratuities are all inclusive

According to many on CC the world of cruising would implode, the crew would starve etc etc etc.

In spite of it working perfectly well in other parts of the world.

I, too, think it should be just part of the fare. Why do people want to hand it out personally? Is it because they think that otherwise it is kept by the organisation and not distributed or because they want to be personally thanked?

I, too, think it should be just part of the fare. Why do people want to hand it out personally? Is it because they think that otherwise it is kept by the organisation and not distributed or because they want to be personally thanked?

It's a feel good item. Tipping is suppose to be for good service. I pay the mandatory service fee, and Tip for above and beyond. No I don't consider it double tipping. The service fee "Tips", is just an add on to your cruise price.

I don't really believe that the cruise lines do not disperse the service fees, but like most organizations I suspect there is a handling fee.

It's a feel good item. Tipping is suppose to be for good service. I pay the mandatory service fee, and Tip for above and beyond. No I don't consider it double tipping. The service fee "Tips", is just an add on to your cruise price.

I don't really believe that the cruise lines do not disperse the service fees, but like most organizations I suspect there is a handling fee.

What's supposed to be the difference between a service fee and a tip, they are both meant to provide me a service, I should be paying one or the other not both.

Alternative Services should be removed from your figures. It goes to salaried employees not service fee employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I understand, alternative services include those on Lido who fix your burgers, make your burritos, a pizza at midnight, a deli sandwich. Also, the staff member who is cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming the floors, etc. This is alternative staff. $2.00 a day per person isn't going to break our bank and these are hard working people.

Pat